Orchard Hills - Strada by Irvine Pacific

nyc to oc said:
bones said:
Jonah said:
Exactly what NYC says, and I often hear Asian friends express the same sentiments. I come from a cross-cultural background and a homogenous bubble is not what I want for my kid.  I'd feel exactly the same if the school was predominantly Caucasian. 

There's also the exact opposite. I know plenty of Asians in irvine who want only Asian friends and their kids to have only Asian friends. Been to enough Asian-only birthday parties to last me a lifetime. What I don't get is: why no qwertys allowed?!

Are the parents immigrants or second generations?

I can kind of understand how recent immigrant parents might have that mindset, because of language barriers and wanting to feel connected to their homeland's culture--its just easier to be friends with someone who you can actually converse well with, but I don't know any second generation AA parents that feel this way. Just goes to show you, assimilation works. For all those immigrant/FOB parents who may do their best to keep their kids in a bubble, I bet for the most part, their kids growing up here will end up more integrated into US society--and that's a good thing, in my mind.

AA. At the very least, went to hs and college here.  100% English spoken at these parties.

irvinehomeowner said:
What's wrong with asian kids in school? They are people too.

This is amazing... I never would have thought someone would say I want to live in Irvine but only if my kid can doesn't have to go to an IUSD school.

Part of this probably stems from internalized asiaphobia.  Another part is likely a fear or perhaps realization that their kid is just average and will be crushed by the competition.  But throw in a private school (or TUSD) with some white and mexican kids, and suddenly their child is brilliant.  It's great for the parent's ego (and the child's too).

WTTCHMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:
What's wrong with asian kids in school? They are people too.

This is amazing... I never would have thought someone would say I want to live in Irvine but only if my kid can doesn't have to go to an IUSD school.

Part of this probably stems from internalized asiaphobia.  Another part is likely a fear or perhaps realization that their kid is just average and will be crushed by the competition.  But throw in a private school (or TUSD) with some white and mexican kids, and suddenly their child is brilliant.  It's great for the parent's ego (and the child's too).

There's definitely this. But also, some just don't want to spend time and money on unnecessary hours and hours of supplemental "education" after school.  To be honest, not sure if the irvine addressed attendees at Tustin schools are any better in this regard.

WTTCHMN said:

Nice try, but a lot of Indian kids are similarly academically focused.  Besides which, what's your beef against the academic capabilities of white and Mexican kids?  Again, it goes back to diversity for me.  Perhaps that's something you could benefit from too.  ;)

It's funny that when folks talk about Beckman they mention how when you strip out non Asians the api scores are jus as good if not better than iusd schools which proves that the api scores have nothing to do with the school district yet everyone gets a hard on over iusd

Does anyone know the name /tree type of the backyard privacy trees in the Strada,models and how long it takes to grow that tall? I'm considering getting younger trees but don't want to wait  a long time for them to grow. Any recommendations? Thanks!

OHills said:
Does anyone know the name /tree type of the backyard privacy trees in the Strada,models and how long it takes to grow that tall? I'm considering getting younger trees but don't want to wait  a long time for them to grow. Any recommendations? Thanks!

I think it's the Indian Laurel Fig:http://www.plantsexpress.com/WebStore-PlantsExpress/WEBSTORE/9258-0.aspx

I actually saw good sized ones at Home Depot last weekend for $49.99 for 15 gallon and they looked pretty healthy (I took a pic if you want).  I was considering renting a truck and putting these throughout my back yard but didn't do it. 

This was at the Home Depot on Rockfield and El Toro, they had a lot of them. 

No problem.  Here's the pics I got, just to make sure this is the shrub you're referring to:

348oh13.jpg

icic5x.jpg

Those look like the trees on the back walls of the models. There are some different 20'+ trees on the sides of the models offering some privacy at second floor windows.

We just received word from Irvine Pacific that the close of escrow for phases 12 and 13 has been delayed 7 days due to a delay with the cabinet manufacturers. Anybody else from these phases been contacted by IP regarding the 7 day delay?

Hi everyone
I think Haggen is out of business. I tried calling them a few times with no answer from a 'real' person when you choose that option. Do you guys know if they've already closed their doors? If so, any ideas who is moving in?  ::)

OC_medicine said:
Hi everyone
I think Haggen is out of business. I tried calling them a few times with no answer from a 'real' person when you choose that option. Do you guys know if they've already closed their doors? If so, any ideas who is moving in?  ::)

It's closed. No idea when or who will be taking over the space.

Perspective said:
TJinOH said:
sky949 said:
Perspective said:
I was also told, that our phase is the first to include certain code requirements, like a recirculating button on both levels to conserve water (eliminates running water to get hot water).

Are you guys moved in?

I think most of the Strada homes have this -- ours has them and we are a few phases before -- I definetely know we have it in the master bath -- not sure if we were shown in the first floor also or not during the pre drywall walk through.

We're not in yet - not until December. The good news is, our Stage 4 deadline is this week and we've made it through all of the design decisions agreeing on nearly everything. It's somewhat comforting spending so much on upgrades knowing that current base pricing keeps increasing.

We visited the models on Sunday evening around 5 pm. It was 100 degrees, yet the Strada parking lot was full, with cars parked on the street. The sales office was crazy busy.

They're flying fast over at Strada.  Looks like they've already started framing on Bountiful, which is my absolute favorite street in the entire community.  What phase are they selling now, anyone have the latest pricing for the three different plans?  Love the community, wish the yards were bigger...but that's Irvine for you.

Strada's in Phase 20, the east side of Bountiful. There's a Plan 2 ($1,158,800) and 3 ($1,206,300) still available in this phase, and also:

$1,058,000 Plan 1
$1,073,381 Plan 1
$1,168,645 Plan 2
$1,207,661 Plan 3

Hi everyone
Does anyone recommend a good contractor for flooring, paint and small miscellaneous items for inside the house? Any referall will great. Thank you all so much in advance : )

I created a Facebook page for Strada.  I'll slowly upload the brochures, images, and other community info on there in the coming few weeks.  Feel free to like the page as well as contribute. 

I would like to it to be an informational page for anyone interested in buying into the community.

I hope it could also provide a place where current and future residents can communicate.
https://www.facebook.com/StradaOrchardHills

Hi all. Does anyone know what is taking over Haggen? I've tried calling Irvine Pacific without much success. Hope it's not Smart and Final which I've heard through the grape vine......

Back