Orchard Hills School

lovingit

I always thought this was a middle school grades 7-8.  But I was on the website and it said K-8.  I didn't know you can have elementary and middle school for one school.  I personally never heard of it.

When did OH school become both an elementary and middle school?
Are the only kids going there from the apartments and some areas of NorthPark?  I thought NP was deeded to Hicks Canyon Elementary.

OH has always been K-8, but it only serves 5-8 for now.  K-4 kids will be at Hicks.  It will eventually backfill the younger grades, not sure when, maybe another parent has info? 

0ff5c26dd4597f5dadfe6e25ad2d0077_zps97ea8bfe.jpg

dd44b38f6a6b61b34e6d31593d912311_zps4c809e36.jpg

OH serves the apartments, Northpark, Northpark Sq, and parts of West Irvine North of Champion.  And of course eventually Orchard Hills Groves and beyond.  It seems nicely planned out, unlike the IUSD fiasco at GP. 

We would seriously consider Capella if OH had Kinder now (our deal breaker), walking the kid to school in the AM would've been nice to avoid the lines of cars at drop off.  Plus we want to stay at the same school k-6, if we move to Capella, then it involves Hicks for a few years and then another adjustment to OH if they open up the younger grades. 

I believe there are 2 other K-8 schools in Irvine, Plaza Vista in Westpark II and Vista Verde in Turtle Ridge.

They are both year round schools and IUSD, not TUSD. I'm not sure how many other K-8 schools are in TUSD.

Wasn't there a thread about how hard it is to drop-off/pick-up at OH?

Alot of parents got ticketed for making illegal turns.  Heavy IrvinePD presence in Sept when school starts and also random checks throughout the year. 

test said:

When I used to live by OH, traffic was insanely bad going into and out of there during school times.  Thankfully, I didn't have to go through there before.  They also changed the lights there so that you can't make right turns on red and the crosswalk signal is 60 seconds long. 

Traffic is going to be seriously bad once it gets filled in. 

ps9 said:
OH has always been K-8, but it only serves 5-8 for now.  K-4 kids will be at Hicks.  It will eventually backfill the younger grades, not sure when, maybe another parent has info? 

0ff5c26dd4597f5dadfe6e25ad2d0077_zps97ea8bfe.jpg

dd44b38f6a6b61b34e6d31593d912311_zps4c809e36.jpg

Based on these maps, people who by Strada or Terraza homes in OH will be zoned to TUSD.  This does not make sense.  I hope TUSD and IUSD agree to let people within the Culver/OH Drive loop stay within IUSD. 

AA said:
Based on these maps, people who by Strada or Terraza homes in OH will be zoned to TUSD.  This does not make sense.  I hope TUSD and IUSD agree to let people within the Culver/OH Drive loop stay within IUSD.

I think it's pretty much set.  Half of OH (the more expensive half) is going to TUSD and the other half is going to IUSD. 

If I were TIC, I would do the same thing too.

We know that the non-gated IUSD homes are the ones being built by Irvine Pacific so of course they want those to be the ones with the advantage of having an I in their school district.

For the more expensive homes, those buyers may be more aware that the TUSD schools that service that area are on par with IUSD, or may be using private schools so the zoning doesn't matter as much.

Whoever drew these boundary maps were idiots or drunk.  It does not make any sense that their is a split in school districts for homeowners living in the non gated side of OH.

Irvinecommuter said:
AA said:

I think it's pretty much set.  Half of OH (the more expensive half) is going to TUSD and the other half is going to IUSD

The issue is that the other half (the Resident, IP's side) is suppose going to IUSD but are not. 

From the map, it looks like both Strada and Terraza, which are located on the non-gated side, are zone in into TUSD.

AA said:
Whoever drew these boundary maps were idiots or drunk.  It does not make any sense that their is a split in school districts for homeowners living in the non gated side of OH.
Your statement is uneducated and trollish.  The boundaries between cities have been established long before OH was even an idea.  School districts are zoned by, shocker alert, city boundaries.  Whoa, who woulda thought.

OH happens to be built right at the boundary between Irvine and Tustin.  The schools are equivalent on either side of Culver.  If you don't want to live on the Tustin side and have your kids go to TUSD, then don't buy there.  Seems pretty simple.  Not sure what you're ranting about.

If you are truly worried about the schools.. then I'd be concern as both sides have great schools.  I think people who are mad at this.. it's more about status which is fine too but just be real about it!

OCgasman said:
OH happens to be built right at the boundary between Irvine and Tustin.  The schools are equivalent on either side of Culver.  If you don't want to live on the Tustin side and have your kids go to TUSD, then don't buy there.  Seems pretty simple.  Not sure what you're ranting about.
You know what's weird about that is it doesn't go up Culver, once Culver hits Portola Parkway and crosses over, you would think that the boundary would continue but instead it goes east and then north which cuts the loop in half.

Was OH meant to be laid out differently? It is a strange boundary.

They told me OH is currently 5-8.  So K-4 goes to Hicks.  Not sure why they do that.

K-8 will be available in 2015-2016 for OH residents.

lovingit said:
They told me OH is currently 5-8.  So K-4 goes to Hicks.  Not sure why they do that.

Probably not enough kids to justify hiring the teachers.

Irvinecommuter said:
lovingit said:

But why split up 5th graders from Hick to OH?  Hick's couldn't accomodate the size of 5th graders?

lovingit said:
Irvinecommuter said:
lovingit said:

But why split up 5th graders from Hick to OH?  Hick's couldn't accomodate the size of 5th graders?

Hicks Canyon was overflowing and Orchard Hills was sitting there mostly empty since the homes up there weren't built.  It helped alleviate the crowds at Hicks.

Back