Orchard Hills Neighborhood 3

Burn That Belly said:
0zZbXMS.jpg

Don't knock Beckman. (The kid might have a better chance getting into a decent college.)
Plus you get a free Laptop!
https://www.tustin.k12.ca.us/uploaded/Schools/Beckman/Technology/BHS_Laptop_FAQs.pdf

eyephone said:
Burn That Belly said:

Don't knock Beckman. (The kid might have a better chance getting into a decent college.)
Plus you get a free Laptop!
https://www.tustin.k12.ca.us/uploaded/Schools/Beckman/Technology/BHS_Laptop_FAQs.pdf

Agreed. I wonder if most parents realize there are quotas per HS regarding admission into the UC system (it's capped). The more competitive HS, the harder it is to get in (unless your kid is the best). Say goodbye to after school sports, etc. Tiger moms will win.

The student body (parents too) demographics has just as much or more to do with a schools ranking as the school itself.  Beckman is already very competitive.  Kids from groves will make it even more competitive.

Zippohunter said:
The student body (parents too) demographics has just as much or more to do with a schools ranking as the school itself.  Beckman is already very competitive.  Kids from groves will make it even more competitive.

I do agree with you that Beckman is already very competitive. If the goal is to get into the best college possible, then Tustin HS (and being a good parent) is your best bet. We didn't choose that route.

Not too many kids at the Groves, which is why I take my kids to Settlers Park (it's a ghost town). As soon as Orchard Hills school delivers on it's promise of K-8 I will stand corrected. Most of the kids that attend OH Middle are not from the Groves. Pavillions is a ghost town as well fyi. If there were a healthy number of families at the groves, Pavillions would be booming. And please don't tell me they are all going to Ralphs or Zion.

We live in the groves.  2.5 years and counting.  There are a lot of kiids.  I am not sure of Trevi and Amelia since I do not knoe anyone that lives there.  We know people at every other development and they all have lots of kids.

There are two resorts with pool and paygrounds in the groves and at least one on the other non gated side which may be why you experience less kids.  Everytime we go there are kids though.  I have never seen it as a ghost town except when it was 98 degrees.  There no middle schools anywhere where most of the kids come from one neighborhood.

Families go to Costco, empty nesters go to Pavilions.  Also I would say at least 50% in groves are Asian and bet they all go to Costco, Zion, or 99 ranch.  None of them go to Pavilions.  Pavillions is also expensive and serve a less dense area.

Zippohunter said:
We live in the groves.  2.5 years and counting.  There are a lot of kiids.  I am not sure of Trevi and Amelia since I do not knoe anyone that lives there.  We know people at every other development and they all have lots of kids.

There are two resorts with pool and paygrounds in the groves and at least one on the other non gated side which may be why you experience less kids.  Everytime we go there are kids though.  I have never seen it as a ghost town except when it was 98 degrees.  There no middle schools anywhere where most of the kids come from one neighborhood.

Families go to Costco, empty nesters go to Pavilions.  Also I would say at least 50% in groves are Asian and bet they all go to Costco, Zion, or 99 ranch.  None of them go to Pavilions.  Pavillions is also expensive and serve a less dense area.

I really enjoy going to Pavillions with less people. I do wonder how long they can survive, but they've been there before (closed about 2 years ago). Weird decision on their part to come back. We also shop at Costco & Target, but for about 30% of our groceries, they can be found at Pavillions for the same price as anywhere else.

Do you have kids? Are the kids in the neighborhood going to Hicks Canyon until Orchard Hills expands?

Ghost town may be an exaggeration, but honestly for a community that size I would expect the park to be much more crowded. Almost everyone I meet there is not actually living in the community. They're coming from Stonegate, West Irvine, etc. to play volleyball, basketball, soccer.

Halos said:
Zippohunter said:

I really enjoy going to Pavillions with less people. I do wonder how long they can survive, but they've been there before (closed about 2 years ago). Weird decision on their part to come back. We also shop at Costco & Target, but for about 30% of our groceries, they can be found at Pavillions for the same price as anywhere else.

Do you have kids? Are the kids in the neighborhood going to Hicks Canyon until Orchard Hills expands?

Ghost town may be an exaggeration, but honestly for a community that size I would expect the park to be much more crowded. Almost everyone I meet there is not actually living in the community. They're coming from Stonegate, West Irvine, etc. to play volleyball, basketball, soccer.

Yes we have a 7th grader at Orchard Hills.  We also have older kids - they went to Canyon View, Sierra Vista, and Northwood HS as we lived in Northwood Pointe 18 years before moving to the Groves.

Halos said:
Zippohunter said:

Maybe it is a demographic problem. IF most of the Groves residents have older kids (middle school and up), you won't see many at the playground (they are at home on their xbox or iPad). It may also explain why the K-4 portions of OH school aren't open yet. Though I have serious doubts on TUSD's commitment to open up those grades based on Heritage Elementary School. They only move when someone puts a gun to their head.
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,12886.0.html
http://www.ocregister.com/2015/04/03/neighbors-organize-push-for-new-tustin-school/
http://www.ocregister.com/2012/07/16/tustin-school-district-city-heading-to-court-over-land/
http://www.ocregister.com/2015/08/26/city-tusd-approve-78m-plan-for-tustin-legacy-schools/

:)
Burn That Belly said:
This thread is about Orchard Hills Neighborhood and not about the competitiveness of the schools. If your kids can't keep up or make it in life, that is your problem and not a "real estate" problem.

If the logic holds true (and maybe it is) that all the OC schools are getting competitive and kids are having to work 3X harder than their peers and colleges have only a certain amount of quotas for each district, then by that logic, I think all of you should just buy in Newport Beach/Coast and then send your kids to Compton High. I guarantee that your kids will be top 10 of the graduating class and should get into any college of your kid's choice at that point. But no, you guys aren't going to do that. So why we even wasting our breath?

Top schools help sell and increase the values of the house. Just like travertine floors and engineered countertops. Every bit helps. End of story. We don't need to get into deep societal issues because it's irrelevant. At the end of the day, real estate is about how much you can squeeze out of your future buyers. A.k.a. the knife catchers. Nobody, mark my words, nobody wants to pay $1 million for a house today and be told and sign on paper that in 10 years, it'll be worth $300K for whatever reason.

Compton High baby:

wsp2.jpg

Burn That Belly said:
This thread is about Orchard Hills Neighborhood and not about the competitiveness of the schools. If your kids can't keep up or make it in life, that is your problem and not a "real estate" problem.

If the logic holds true (and maybe it is) that all the OC schools are getting competitive and kids are having to work 3X harder than their peers and colleges have only a certain amount of quotas for each district, then by that logic, I think all of you should just buy in Newport Beach/Coast and then send your kids to Compton High. I guarantee that your kids will be top 10 of the graduating class and should get into any college of your kid's choice at that point. But no, you guys aren't going to do that. So why we even wasting our breath?

Top schools help sell and increase the values of the house. Just like travertine floors and engineered countertops. Every bit helps. End of story. We don't need to get into deep societal issues because it's irrelevant. At the end of the day, real estate is about how much you can squeeze out of your future buyers. A.k.a. the knife catchers. Nobody, mark my words, nobody wants to pay $1 million for a house today and be told and sign on paper that in 10 years, it'll be worth $300K for whatever reason.

Compton High baby:

wsp2.jpg

Lol.  You are the one that started the school discussion in here with the stupid fliers.

Half my street at the Groves has at least 1 child attending Hicks Canyon. Lots of young kids in the neighborhood. Some homes with babies under the age of 3 so very near future elementary age. My kids also have friends from school living at every neighborhood of the groves. We all use the pools but I don't think many use the parks. A lot of my neighbors have season passes to Disneyland, Sea World, Lego land or are always on some mini vacation. So maybe that's why the parks aren't used much?
But we've been at the Groves for over 2 years and there are a lot of young kids in the neighborhood (which I love actually). And better diversity as well over other Irvine villages

Burn That Belly said:
Zippohunter said:
Lol.  You are the one that started the school discussion in here with the stupid fliers.

Wrong. I am simply a messenger (from the graces of God). I spread the word of the flyer that the Irvine Company puts out. Then I had my secretary go above and beyond and make a couple more for satire. You do know how to take a joke once in while no?

What's next? Shall we start counting how many drinking fountain each school has?

There is nothing irrelevant than knowing the fact that OH3 is zoned to Northwood. Some folks on here might not be aware of that as they might think it could be zoned to Portola. For example, in 2015, Stonegate was zoned to NW and Woodbury was zoned to IHS.

As of 2017, both SG and WB are zoned to PHS. Nothing wrong with that.

Only the very "privileged" who are willing to pay into TIC's coffers today get to go to Northwood. (or you go buy a resale)

I guess the people buying at The Vistas, Trevi and La Vita are very UN-privileged  :)

Burn That Belly said:
Paris said:
I guess the people buying at The Vistas, Trevi and La Vita are very UN-privileged  :)

Actually, the parents who live at Vista, Trevi, and La Vita and even Bella Vista should be sending their kids to private school. That's the "extra-privileged".

I know families in ALL of these neighborhoods (except Bella Vista) who have elementary aged children and are NOT sending to private school actually. I mean why pay such a premium for a good school district and waste your $$ on private school? Even the wealthy got that way because they tend to be "smart" with their dollars

Starting in the millions, how well will Vivo (petaluma clone) sell in OH3? Any predictions?

The larger SFR like Terra and Como with view etc. will definitely sell very well.

But I'm not so sure about the sales for these entry level detached condos ( Vivo, Como and Lago) with a price tag of $1M and more.

Do they have floor plans for The Reserve yet?

Let me guess, entry door with no porch, bedroom/bath in the front, kitchen/great room in the back, go upstairs, master to the left, 2 bedrooms in the back, maybe a loft.

I don't really agree that today's floor plans are all that much better than before.

Back