Orchard Hills Homes

Disappointing grand opening.  So for $2 million I get 9' ceilings and a crappy location when at CV I can get 10' ceilings and a much better location for $1 million.

Which village has the best location?

2z5lq2c.jpg

So we braved opening day at OH today, arrived around noon, inbound traffic is backed up about 10 cars from the guard gate, almost to Culver.  Parked on the grassy field way in the back with the spray painted parking lines.  About a 5 min walk to Amelia/Trevi/The Resort area.  Glad we layered up on the sunblock, not enough shade to go around.  Headed straight back to the food area, got some bean/cheese burritos from La Sirena, funky spring rolls from Jinbei (formerly Shin formerly Ayame), orange chicken from Ren, and the music was some sort of jazz/saxophone trio.  Crowded, mostly mixed, Asians were Chinese mainlander majority with some really obnoxious Taiwanese people in bright neon green shirts, feel like more old people than young families.  Finally scored some seats under partial shade and we ate. 

Decided to head on over to Strada area for some free munchies there, got in line for Shuttle 2 to get bused over.  Took longer than expected, they need more Shuttle 2's running.  While we were waiting, 4 Shuttle 1's went through before our turn.  Not sure why, Amelia/Trevi is right there, the shuttle ratio is off I think.  Shuttle ride was comfy, one of those party limo vans you see in Vegas, even got tables in the front (minus the pole). 

Skipped Corte Bella and headed over to Entrata for Zov's (hummus, yuck), Nekter (too healthy and weird, also yuck), Pinkberry (yeah!), and the music trio were strings so it was nice.  Kid also went crazy painting birdhouses, we took home 5.  Decided to visit Strada by myself since it was just a short downhill walk.  On the way there, saw that the plan 3x is modeled, can't wait to get my breath taken away.  Got some popcorn on the way in, and bolted for the 3x.  My entrance effect was ruined, got a good wiff of too much sun B.O. when I opened the door and some sweaty old people came out.  Walking in to the one big room, immediately felt cramped because of how small the yard is, the lot walls feel like it was right up against the house, save 5 feet.  Kitchen was disappointing, walk in pantry was NOT walk-in-able (WTF), cabinets did not close smoothly (one did not close at all), super high cabinets that butt up against the ceiling....why?  I would have a hard time reaching it with a step stool, and it's too small to store anything big...  Display cabinets?  But they used frosted glass.. scratching my head on that one.  Loft upstairs was a decent size, master closet is a waste of space IMO, secondary rooms are adequate with own bathrooms.  The storage/office behind the laundry room has super high ceilings, awkward use of space.  I give this plan 3x a 5/10 rating, the yard is the dealbreaker for me, can't get over that. 

The organizer is Splendid Events
http://www.yelp.com/biz/splendid-events-long-beach

I felt they did a great job.  We went at the noon crush time and despite the slight wait for shuttles, everything was handled smoothly.  If you need help wrangling 10,000 people, gave these guys a call. 

ps9 said:
So we braved opening day at OH today, arrived around noon, inbound traffic is backed up about 10 cars from the guard gate, almost to Culver.  Parked on the grassy field way in the back with the spray painted parking lines.  About a 5 min walk to Amelia/Trevi/The Resort area.  Glad we layered up on the sunblock, not enough shade to go around.  Headed straight back to the food area, got some bean/cheese burritos from La Sirena, funky spring rolls from Jinbei (formerly Shin formerly Ayame), orange chicken from Ren, and the music was some sort of jazz/saxophone trio.  Crowded, mostly mixed, Asians were Chinese mainlander majority with some really obnoxious Taiwanese people in bright neon green shirts, feel like more old people than young families.  Finally scored some seats under partial shade and we ate. 

Decided to head on over to Strada area for some free munchies there, got in line for Shuttle 2 to get bused over.  Took longer than expected, they need more Shuttle 2's running.  While we were waiting, 4 Shuttle 1's went through before our turn.  Not sure why, Amelia/Trevi is right there, the shuttle ratio is off I think.  Shuttle ride was comfy, one of those party limo vans you see in Vegas, even got tables in the front (minus the pole). 

Skipped Corte Bella and headed over to Entrata for Zov's (hummus, yuck), Nekter (too healthy and weird, also yuck), Pinkberry (yeah!), and the music trio were strings so it was nice.  Kid also went crazy painting birdhouses, we took home 5.  Decided to visit Strada by myself since it was just a short downhill walk.  On the way there, saw that the plan 3x is modeled, can't wait to get my breath taken away.  Got some popcorn on the way in, and bolted for the 3x.  My entrance effect was ruined, got a good wiff of too much sun B.O. when I opened the door and some sweaty old people came out.  Walking in to the one big room, immediately felt cramped because of how small the yard is, the lot walls feel like it was right up against the house, save 5 feet.  Kitchen was disappointing, walk in pantry was NOT walk-in-able (WTF), cabinets did not close smoothly (one did not close at all), super high cabinets that butt up against the ceiling....why?  I would have a hard time reaching it with a step stool, and it's too small to store anything big...  Display cabinets?  But they used frosted glass.. scratching my head on that one.  Loft upstairs was a decent size, master closet is a waste of space IMO, secondary rooms are adequate with own bathrooms.  The storage/office behind the laundry room has super high ceilings, awkward use of space.  I give this plan 3x a 5/10 rating, the yard is the dealbreaker for me, can't get over that. 

The organizer is Splendid Events
http://www.yelp.com/biz/splendid-events-long-beach

I felt they did a great job.  We went at the noon crush time and despite the slight wait for shuttles, everything was handled smoothly.  If you need help wrangling 10,000 people, gave these guys a call.

You're the bravest person I know. Question.. Would you move there?  Do you think it will be prestigious?

jmoney74 said:
You're the bravest person I know. Question.. Would you move there?  Do you think it will be prestigious?

Definitely crossed Strada off the list (only model visited so far), the Grove side is still possible though unlikely.  In order for us to move:

1.  Lot size (this is a tough one, our current lot is about 7000 sq ft)
2.  4/5 bedrooms + loft
3.  school situation with Orchard Hills (need kinder this year)
4.  sell current house
5.  lehman event/price drop
6.  buy Messina plan 2 or 3 standing inventory from Tri-Pointe

So a very unlikely scenario of events need to occur (esp #5) for us to uproot again.  Grove is nice, guard gate is a plus and prestigious if you're into entrances.  Better than entering into a wall like Laguna Altura. 

To all TI members, if you stop by any OH homes, please post "sold button" home stats here, like to get a feel of the market.

We are busy making phone calls this morning. looking to buy at least one OH home as an investment and asking our FCB network to buy more as well. I fully expect there is about 60% upside in Grove homes and 30% upside for the other side. This will be a better investment than Jins Creek

After seeing what is being offered at OH in my price range, I'm glad I didn't wait to buy there.  Too small houses on too small lots.  1.5 mil + to get anything remotely worth it.  That being said it looks like it will do quite well, you have to admire the TIC machine.  Though 60% upside may be wishful thinking.

Would like to thank Scott for registering us at the Groves in OH. Thought I saw IHO there but it was just the big orange ballon that says new homes...  ;D

La Vita is the only product offering worth buying at OH.  Everything else at OH is just more of the same.

1) Outstanding Italian Tuscan architecture and floor plans.
2) Motor courts cement the upscale feel since your driveway isn't directly off the main road.
3) Almost all of the lots are view lots.

I braved the event with 2 kids and a stroller.  We never made it to Zov's, birdhouses, and Section 2.  :(  Just too hot.

Orange chicken, bean burrito, and the spring rolls were all yuck.  But event went well considering the number of people there.  Mr. Z was having a total friends reunion as he kept on running into people he knows.

I saw a FCB sign documents to buy Trevi.  He was very happy and so was the sales people at Trevi.

Today I received a copy of the Yellow Report for Orchard Hills (i.e. the one filed with the CA Dept. of Real Estate).  I was shocked to read that the Groves was once used as a dump site.  It was apparently "discovered" during grading for the village.  It has since been cleaned up as of 2007.

Anyway, I was surprised it hasn't been mentioned on this forum, since everyone always badmouths GP for being a toxic dump, PS built next to the dump, SG across from the dump, etc.

In the long run, it probably won't matter... people always forget that Newport Coast was once built on a dumpsite too.

Other interesting tidbits from the Yellow Report:

A total of 4 villages are planned for Orchard Hills.

SCE has overhead electrical lines emitting EMF throughout the community.  An SCE substation is located next to the proposed Village IV.

Commercial nursery and agricultural operations may result in "noise, odors, dust, light, insects, the operation of pumps and machinery, bee pollination, and ground or aerial application of fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides.  These agricultural practices may occur at any time of the day or night."

The Groves is located across from an old military training ground used in the 1940's.  "As a result of these training exercises, potentially explosive munitions may still remain..."

The flood map indicates portions of the Groves are subject to inundation in the event of a 500-year flood, "although flood events of such magnitude can occur more frequently than once every 500 years."

There are 2 retarding basins in OH.  "Mosquitos and other insects may breed in these basins." 

In addition, a dam study was conducted in the winter of 2013 which showed that "large portions of OH would be subject to flooding in the event of a sudden and unexpected dam failure" of these basins.

Interestingly, OH is NOT considered a high fire zone by the Orange County Fire Authority.  I thought this was interesting because I remember the area was affected by wildfires around 5-10 years ago.

OH is located near the Bowerman landfill, and "noise from such traffic will be heard within OH, both day and night."

"Residents of OH will be affected by the ongoing maintenance and cultivation of the orchards.  Maintenance crews will gain access to the orchards through community streets.  Resident will be affected by noise from work crews, irrigation pumps, wind machines, dust from harvesting, pruning, and irrigation runoff.  Chemicals will be used in the cultivation and maintenance of the orchards.  The chemicals may be applied by spraying the trees or weeds from the ground or by injection into the irrigation system.  Aerial spraying of trees may also occur..."

"The orchards will attract animals and insects.  Because coyotes and other wildlife are known to prey on household pets, residents are advised to keep domestic pets within their dwellings and use caution when leaving their pets outdoors."

Sales summary:

Trevi sold out phase 1 and phase 2
Amelia ??
Messina phase 1 release is June 7 so none sold
Vicenza ??
Saviero ??
Capella ??
La Vita ??
Strada none per IrvRes's post in the other thread

thatOSguy said:
qwerty said:
Sounds like orchard hills is a death trap. Shit I wouldn't even buy there.

"Working orchards"... Only TIC could doing that to sound like a bucolic setting. I think pesticides, day laborers and trucks. The disclosure is even a bit more dire, though that's what it is designed to do - paint the worst case scenario to fend off litigation under the cloak of transparency, damn the small print and stack of paper above and below it.

I would still buy here even with all that stuff they mentioned in the report.....as long as they throw in free avocados for life!!!  Eating guac all day every day

Back