Open House Experience

traceimage

A few weeks ago, I went to an open house at 19 Fremont in Irvine. It was listed by Affie Setoodeh (who in my opinion prices homes pretty low, so she can brag about getting multiple offers over the asking price and selling homes in just a few days). It was an ok house...in Northwood, across from the elementary school, big backyard with a pool, and reasonably upgraded, unlike many houses in Irvine. However, it backed to Yale and it was on the smaller side for a 4 bedroom house, only 1850ish sq feet. Priced at $650k. The open house was jumping. Super crowded.

Anyway, we were hanging out at the park across the street afterwards and started talking with a young family who'd also just come from the open house. They were Chinese. The wife was on the phone with her parents while the husband chatted with us about the house. We're not in the market--I just enjoy looking at open houses--so we talked about what we thought of the house. They liked the house and were probably going to make an offer, but they were torn because they were also looking at Portola Springs because the wife really wanted a new house. I told them the house would probably sell fast and to keep that in mind. Buy now or be priced out forever! Just kidding. Ha ha.

Ok, so here's where it gets crazy. All the stuff you people are always talking about: these people TOTALLY fit the mold. Chinese buyers, check. Consulting with parents/in-laws (source of down payment?), check. Asians wanting a new home so they don't have to worry about remodeling it, check. And I KID YOU NOT...do you know why they wanted to move to Irvine from their current home in Valencia? Because of the API scores of the schools, especially Northwood High! Apparently their elementary school in Valencia has even better API scores than Irvine schools, but the high schools are not good, so they are looking to move. The wife was rattling off API scores off the top of her head like you wouldn't believe. I just kept thinking that they were the total stereotype that I've read about on Talk Irvine, but never met in real life. It was kind of funny.

So...the house went pending a day or two later. I wonder if they got it?

This is what I have been preaching. It is not stereotype, it is real.
I bet they didn't get the house because at the end this Northwood home is old and backs to a major street; 2 big no-nos which I think their parents would've had talked them out of it. They will mostly buy new but are reserved about the landfill and other non ideal attributes of Portola Spring. They eventually will succumb to TIC and buy a ~2000 sqft motor court home because apparently they don't make enough or parents are not rich enough so they can't afford a real SFR in a good location. 

traceimage said:
Ok, so here's where it gets crazy. All the stuff you people are always talking about: these people TOTALLY fit the mold. Chinese buyers, check. Consulting with parents/in-laws (source of down payment?), check. Asians wanting a new home so they don't have to worry about remodeling it, check. And I KID YOU NOT...do you know why they wanted to move to Irvine from their current home in Valencia? Because of the API scores of the schools, especially Northwood High! Apparently their elementary school in Valencia has even better API scores than Irvine schools, but the high schools are not good, so they are looking to move. The wife was rattling off API scores off the top of her head like you wouldn't believe. I just kept thinking that they were the total stereotype that I've read about on Talk Irvine, but never met in real life. It was kind of funny.

So...the house went pending a day or two later. I wonder if they got it?

Chinese parents will quit their jobs and relocate the family just to live in the high API score district. Now that you have witnessed this yourself I hope you don't give me so much grief.

Many of the shoppers have no idea about the dump, jail and burial site either. Had they known about it they would not bother to visit. The sellers have no obligation to disclose them either and just bury the disclosures in the thick purchase documents the buyers have to sign.

I wonder if Trojan ever mention the negatives to his clients that may jeopardize a smooth sale.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Chinese parents will quit their jobs and relocate the family just to live in the high API score district. Now that you have witnessed this yourself I hope you don't give me so much grief.

Many of the shoppers have no idea about the dump, jail and burial site either. Had they known about it they would not bother to visit. The sellers have no obligation to disclose them either and just bury the disclosures in the thick purchase documents the buyers have to sign.

I wonder if Trojan ever mention the negatives to his clients that may jeopardize a smooth sale.

Don't worry, there are still many other things I can give you grief about. :)

This family actually did know about the landfill. They were initially concerned about the smell, but couldn't smell it when they were looking at the model homes so it ceased to be a concern. They weren't worried about the groundwater, though, because they only drink bottled water.

I'm actually really curious where they will end up. Maybe they'll find this site someday and let us know. I kind of wanted to mention TI to them, but I didn't want to out myself. I have a feeling they didn't get 19 Fremont, though, because they weren't that committed, and because the wife really preferred new construction.

i think more info is better than less info and glad forums like this exist.  it does suck that builders dont have to mention anything but then again, being california and with such big government, do you think its possible that they dont need to mention it because there are no proven health issues or risks?  remember this isnt a pro business state.  i am not saying that future risk isnt possible but for now, it hasnt been proven.

rkp said:
i think more info is better than less info and glad forums like this exist.  it does suck that builders dont have to mention anything but then again, being california and with such big government, do you think its possible that they dont need to mention it because there are no proven health issues or risks?  remember this isnt a pro business state.  i am not saying that future risk isnt possible but for now, it hasnt been proven.

they do disclose all this stuff. when were were looking at KB whisler ridge, they had a document that talked about all the stuff in like a 1 or 2 mile radius, even airport flight paths and even disclosed proposed future developments in the near future that could impact your ownership experience. i thought the disclosures were very fair and thorough. im sure the landfill, etc are disclosed by the Portola springs/stonegate developments. TIC is a lot of things but im sure they abide by the laws that require all these disclosures.

The landfill risks are in the disclosure but after signing hundreds of pages of documents do you think the buyers read every page? Of course not. Most buyers don't even know this site let alone only most men are interested in it but the women are the one making the decisions and often are not well informed.

May be health risk is just a myth and so are the 3-1/2 million links that came up from the google search.

Classic Arman reaction: Can't smell or see it then it is not threatening. Try driving on Sand Canyon after 3pm there are lines of green trucks.

traceimage said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

Don't worry, there are still many other things I can give you grief about. :)

This family actually did know about the landfill. They were initially concerned about the smell, but couldn't smell it when they were looking at the model homes so it ceased to be a concern. They weren't worried about the groundwater, though, because they only drink bottled water.

I'm actually really curious where they will end up. Maybe they'll find this site someday and let us know. I kind of wanted to mention TI to them, but I didn't want to out myself. I have a feeling they didn't get 19 Fremont, though, because they weren't that committed, and because the wife really preferred new construction.

Back