Open floor plans - function or fad

jmoney74 said:
I know a lot of people.. if not all my friends.. they just don't use their living room much.  It mainly stays as a room with furniture that is rarely used.

This...I rather have it as an enclosed space like an office/den/bedroom.

I see the living room more as a buffer, receiving guests, a place to get away, etc.  I would hate for guests to enter into a great room, dining room or kitchen!

The one room house is ideal for today's shrinking lots. By organizing 3 living spaces the living dining and kitchen into one large space these rooms shared the overlapping common subset spaces known as circulation. There is no right or wrong answer for the formal living and formal dining room. I have heard of likes and dislikes from many. One thing we all do agree on is homes with formal spaces are $1m+. The formal rooms are price differentiator. Not all families have close friends or relatives as visitors. The formal rooms are for acquaintances. For Muslims the formal rooms are utilized frequently where men and women gather in separate rooms. Chinese use the formal rooms for music lessons or for visitors to drop off shoes, bags, coats and gifts. The patriarch elders meet in the formal rooms away from the young children. Church goers often utilize the formal spaces for fellowship. Young families may not see the formal rooms as essential but as the families mature these formal rooms become very desirable.

OpenSky said:
jmoney74 said:
I think it's key to mention.. while you do find some function with it.. just a lot of space that is not used efficiently.  Just my two cents.. we recently made a bid on a 2700 sq foot home in Tustin Ranch.. just a lot of space.. but not use properly.  I'd rather have less but more functional.  Some people want space.  To each their own.

Lemme guess... Burnt Mill?

It isn't that hard when there's only one home that fits that criteria lol

irvinehomeowner said:
So that's who my competition is.

Trust me IHO, you are not in the same level as my buddy JMoney... This guy balls outtttta control!! He's a wealthy Nigerian scammer king trying to get his money out to the U.S. and the only way is if you help him buy a 2400+ sqft home in Newport Coast/Irvine/Tustin Ranch first and he'll pay you $1 billion dollars!

OpenSky said:
homer_simpson said:
OpenSky said:
jmoney74 said:
I think it's key to mention.. while you do find some function with it.. just a lot of space that is not used efficiently.  Just my two cents.. we recently made a bid on a 2700 sq foot home in Tustin Ranch.. just a lot of space.. but not use properly.  I'd rather have less but more functional.  Some people want space.  To each their own.

Lemme guess... Burnt Mill?

It isn't that hard when there's only one home that fits that criteria lol

Nah, there are quite a few 2700sf stucco boxes in TR. Problem is, many of them back to Tustin Ranch Road.

There's another one on Tea Leaf Lane, for example (backs to Ladera). Trust me when I say -- you don't want to live in that neighborhood -- nor that home. First hand knowledge.

Whats wrong with the Tea leaf lane one?  It's been on and off the market for a while no?  Is Ladera a big street?

We looked at a Tea Leaf home a few years ago... really cramped in that area... and that's one of the things I dislike about some of the hoods in Tustin Ranch, some are gated but no community pool.

I agree with comments above about the TeaLeaf hood. Too small and no amenities. Homes are decent and some I've seen back to a grassy hill--nice nature feel.

My favorite hood in Tustin Ranch is Eldorado--all SFR, gated, pool, tot lot, walking distance to blue ribbon schools and Peter Canyon trail.

The Burnt Mill one ended up having 6 offers.  I even put a big right above asking.  They had everyone try to counter and I didn't even bother to go a $1 more.  Wife loved the house because of the size.. but again.. the spaces weren't very good.  It did have 3 car garage and a nice sized back yard... plus the bonus room upstairs was pretty nice.  The family room, however, had an awkward spacing to it so it would have been hard to build an entertainment center there (I like my center to be close to the kitchen when watching sports).  Also, bedroom downstairs was tight and not a true bedroom as you'd have to get a permit to get it legit on title. 

A lot of the other TR homes had stairs going right to the front door so I'd guess that takes out Asian competition.  Also, not close to parks.  IT'S JUST NOT IRVINE!  ;)

Yup she did a great job. We went there and obviously there were people all waiting to see the home. Priced it just perfect.

jmoney74 said:
Yup she did a great job. We went there and obviously there were people all waiting to see the home. Priced it just perfect.
Funny how homes that are priced right go into escrow quickly, what a concept.  haha  Property looked like it showed well too which definitely helps getting it sold.

That's why you gotta believe that there are more sellers out there who are not really serious about selling the home.. they are looking for the big gains.. that should be drying up now since we have reaching towards 2006 level pricing. 

Back