Ootoro Sushi (Walnut/Irvine) Stay away IHO and Socal

SoCal said:
I'm somewhat more familiar with it's next door neighbor, Brazil, however, I just don't find the Peruvian food as distinctive as, say, Brazil's. Imo, it lacked the indigenous food Brazil has - at least, at the restaurant. Meanwhile, not really doing any one dish better than the country it came from. An exception may be the Chaufa -- that looked like it could be good, maybe better than the original but I only looked at it. Generally, if I wanted German food, I'd go get (or make) German food. If I wanted Italian, I'd go get (or make) Italian, etc. I'm familiar with both of those categories and this was not like above & beyond. For example, in my experience, the Portugese Brazilian food is more authentic than the Peruvian equivalent. It was interesting but I can't say it was great or, like I said, distinctive / particularly outstanding.

Most places that do Peruvian down here are mediocre at best. I usually will go for the "aji de gallina" or the "lomo saltado" which can only be screwed up so much. Chaufa de pollo or milanesa de pollo (aka the schnitzel - as you call it) is what I get for the kids. Peruvian food truly shines when it comes to seafood, but it needs to be well prepared and so far I haven't found a place that does it well down here.

Judging Peruvian food based off going to Inka Mama would be like judging Italian food after only having gone to the Olive Garden.

Back