Oiled or lacquered wood floor

Trying to decide between oiled and matte lacquered wood floors. Can anyone share your experience with the maintenance and appearance of each?  Thanks!

What kind of wood are you planning on installing? Wood type and sizing makes a difference as does the intended faux finish (handscraped, distressed etc)

Finally is the area high traffic, prone to water exposure or sun exposed thru expanses of windows?

Those matte finish, oiled, wire brushed hard wood floor are very popular now a day and I can see why, they hide scratches very well.

I play fetch with my dog on our wire brushed, matte finish wood floor and you just can't see any scratches.  Can't say the same with the clear coated hard wood floors.

The ones we like are mostly distressed, light colored engineered wood. Wood flooring will cover the entire downstairs except for the bathroom. The great room gets good natural light but not excessive sun exposure.

Inc, how often do you oil the floor, and do you do the entire wood surface, including under the furniture? The recommendation is yearly. I just don't think we will keep up with that kind of maintenance.

moonchild508 said:
Inc, how often do you oil the floor, and do you do the entire wood surface, including under the furniture? The recommendation is yearly. I just don't think we will keep up with that kind of maintenance.

Actually I haven't "oil" the floor and I'm not planning to.  According to my floor manufacture's recommendation,  re-oil is only for the commercial, extremely highly traffic area.  For domestic, light traffic use, you probably only need to use touch-up oil on worn area after many years of use.  However, different manufacture may have different care recommendations. 

http://www.provenzafloors.com/support/Oil-Maintenance.aspx

Your floor has been pre-finished with oil from the factory and is ready for domestic areas. For floors installed in commercial areas, we recommend an application of another coat of oil right after installation and before move in occurs.

After a certain period of use, your Provenza oil finished hardwood floor will perhaps look slightly worn and should be maintained with Provenza Touch-Up Oil.

Back