No HOA No Mello Roos

There are 2 sides of an HOA and have lived in both.

Personally, I prefer the HOA. I would much rather have to deal with the requirements of an HOA that is intended to keep a neighborhood clean and uniform than have to deal with neighbors who park their junkers in front of your house or paint their home neon pink.

Plus, it allows you to narc on your neighbor without have to confront them yourself. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
There are 2 sides of an HOA and have lived in both.

Personally, I prefer the HOA. I would much rather have to deal with the requirements of an HOA that is intended to keep a neighborhood clean and uniform than have to deal with neighbors who park their junkers in front of your house or paint their home neon pink.

Plus, it allows you to narc on your neighbor without have to confront them yourself. :)

Haha, I don't need the HOA to narc.  I can narc to the city. :)  There always irvine inspectors around looking for unpermitted stuff, so I mean, they kind of regulate on their own.  I know somebody who got busted nearby for some wiring issues.  Sucks.  I think somebody from GreenTree Narc'd him out.

Don't get me wrong, HOA will definitely improve the way a neighboorhood looks.  It's night and day when you consider Willows to a newly built community that has both Mellos Roos and HOA.  But if you're gonna compare GreenTree to Willows, I would say Willows wins just because it's close to Irvine High & No HOA.  If you drive around GreenTree/Willows, you'll have a hardtime telling the difference.  In fact, when I moved in, I thought I belonged to GreenTree.  My dogs shyt in their parks all the same. haha.

Is there a pool in GreenTree?

I think that was one of the huge benefits when we lived in Woodbridge, the HOA gave you access to tons of pools and two lakes/lagoons.

JakeRoberts said:
Where can I buy a detached home in Irvine that has No HOA No Mello Roos?

No HOA?  Think my buddy lives in a place that has no HOA... off Yale I believe.  His neighbor just built an extra story next to his house.. blocked sunlight.  lol

In Woodbury, the SFRs seem to enjoy it both ways.  We benefit from the community aspects of an HOA without having a very strict HOA where we have to beg for permission.  When we wanted to paint our house, the HOA said they dont even know the original colors of the SFRs and as long as we are generally within the theme, we shouldn't have issues. 

If you decide that you are ok with HOAs, you might also consider MRs that expire soon.  They vary between 15-30 years and you can call the number listed on the tax page to find exact details for that particular MR.  IIRC, our WB MR expires in 2020.

irvinehomeowner said:
NYT said:
irvinehomeowner said:
The city has a page that has links to a map and list of HOAs:
http://www.cityofirvine.org/cityhall/cd/planningactivities/zoning/hoa/default.asp

Most homes built prior to about 1985 probably do not have Mello Roos. Some even up to 1990.

I wonder why Lambert Ranch isn't shown on the map.
No MRs in Lambert Ranch.

But, the map appears to be a map of HOAs in Irvine, not necessarily MR... or am I wrong?

NYT said:
irvinehomeowner said:
@NYT:

Sorry... my bad. I thought you were talking about MRs.

There is an HOA in Lambert Ranch.
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,11836.0.html

I know there is... my question is if anyone knows why it doesn't appear on the map linked.

How are you so sure there is NYT?  Its not like you are so familiar with that hood that you were on the news when they did a segment on LR...oh wait... :)

The way I see it, if one is buying say $800k home. The HOA and MR could run at around 1% of purchase price a year (give or take). Now, with this 1% a year, the tradeoffs are older vs newer community, likely newer schools, amenities, presumably less maintenance costs on home itself.

The questions is, will the HOA+MR home appreciate 1% faster than the non HOA home each year? Chances are, it will. Even if it did not appreciate whole 1% better, and only half a percent better, then your costs of HOA & MR just dropped by as much.

Plus there is this invisible hand theory. If an identical home in non HOA/MR community is available, naturally market forces will price it slightly higher. In other words, a buyer pays premium price at the time of purchase and then saves money over time by not paying HOA and MR. If buyer stays in home for long long time, he/she comes out ahead. If buyer moves out in few years, there may not be any significant advantage or disadvantage in choosing either way.

Back