Newspapers

Arman

So, who still subscribes to a newspaper?

I remember as a kid (1980s), in my neighborhood in Fountain Valley, almost every home had a morning newspaper on the driveway, usually the LA Times or the OC Register. Some homes also had afternoon delivery of the OC Register, when that used to be an option.

Nowadays, walking my neighborhood, it's quite rare to see a newspaper on the driveway.

I've been a fan of newspapers since my grade-school days.

So, who here subscribes to a newspaper? Old-school paper version, or just digital? Do you pay for your digital access?

I get the New York Times delivered on Sundays, which gives me access to their digital site, and PDF downloads of the daily paper, which is my preferred way of reading The Times. I put the PDFs on my iPad. (cheaper to get delivery on Sundays and do digital than to do 100% digital without delivery.)

I get the OC Register delivered on Sundays, which gives me access to the PDF download of the paper on a daily basis. (as with the NY Times, cheaper to do delivery on Sundays than to go 100% digital).

I use my parent's daily subscription to the LA Times to download the PDF daily.

The only other newspapers I'd consider are the Wash Post and the WSJ. Unfortunately, as far as I know, neither offers PDFs, which for me is a deal breaker.

I do browse various news websites daily, but my preferred way of reading is a PDF.

Yes, I love newspapers.

Back in the day, newspapers were relevant. But now everything is online. LA times articles are free. (If I'm not mistaken.) Google News is a good resource online.

WTTCMN said:
I love newspapers too. I used to clip out sports stuff and tape it to my wall all the time as a teen. I even kept the cover pages of certain important days (like when the Yankees won the WS in the 90s). And the newseum in DC is one of my favorite museums to visit. But nowadays, I don't have much time to read much of anything. I started subscribing to theskimm recently just to keep up with the day to day happenings of the world.

Yup, I have a bunch of newspaper sections saved from the 80s to current on big news days.

And, I'm a weather freak, and have every weather page from the LAT (best weather page, at least used to be) since Jan 1987, and I have most weather pages from the OC Register since Nov 1984. Saving digital PDFs now makes storage and retrieval much easier :)

The default weather app on my iphone is good for me.

I think it's an age thing. My boss reads the newspaper, but I read new articles online.

eyephone said:
The default weather app on my iphone is good for me.

I think it's an age thing. My boss reads the newspaper, but I read new articles online.

Are you calling me old?  ;)

WTTCMN said:
NYT said:
WTTCMN said:
I love newspapers too. I used to clip out sports stuff and tape it to my wall all the time as a teen. I even kept the cover pages of certain important days (like when the Yankees won the WS in the 90s). And the newseum in DC is one of my favorite museums to visit. But nowadays, I don't have much time to read much of anything. I started subscribing to theskimm recently just to keep up with the day to day happenings of the world.

Yup, I have a bunch of newspaper sections saved from the 80s to current on big news days.

And, I'm a weather freak, and have every weather page from the LAT (best weather page, at least used to be) since Jan 1987, and I have most weather pages from the OC Register since Nov 1984. Saving digital PDFs now makes storage and retrieval much easier :)

But don't they all just say 70s and sunny?  Heh

My thing is actually magazines. I still sub to many weeklies. They all come with digital versions but nothing compares to reading the actual magazine.

I, too, love magazines!

Currently subscribe to: New Yorker (my fav), New York, The Atlantic, Rolling Stone, Macworld, Bloomberg Businessweek, Texas Monthly, Organic Gardening, and a smattering of workout and cooking mags.

As should be obvious, I prefer the printed and/or PDF version over the digital apps.

7-day dead-tree OCReg subscriber here.

But I'm thinking of converting to digital-only subscriber (where you get the digital version of the actual print... not the online website) because I still experience missing deliveries, sprinkler mishaps... etc etc. And I want to reduce the amount of paper usage.

Just feel weird bringing an iPad into my throne room (ps9-style).

paperboyNC said:
GH said:
Sunday delivery only for the coupons :)

Same here

A lot of newspapers (NYT, OCR, and LAT, just to name three prominent examples) often are cheaper if you go the Sunday delivery route (throwing in all digital access for free everyday) than if you just do all-digital access. It helps them drive up circulation numbers and thereby make more money off advertisers.

i used to subscribe to businessweek then they changed the format about 3-4 years go and i didnt like it after that so i canceled.

Back