Newer Irvine listings with crazy WTF asking prices from equity sellers

CalBears96 said:
Soylent Green Is People said:
Not Irvine, but a spinner none the less.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Portola-Hills/5437-Heritage-Oak-Dr-92679/home/169476067

COE  - 12/23/2021 - $1,312,000
LIST - 01/14/2022 - $1,950,000

I'm surprised the paint was even dry at time of listing. Quite a jump in price for a zero view lot.  YOW!

This is The Oaks Residence 2? They're still selling at ~$1.5M. Why would anyone want to buy this one for $1.95M instead?

What can you close quickly with this square footage that doesn't have a wait list for less than $500 per square foot? This one gonna sell for at least asking, imo.

CalBears96 said:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Portola-Hills/5437-Heritage-Oak-Dr-92679/home/169476067

I'm surprised the paint was even dry at time of listing. Quite a jump in price for a zero view lot.  YOW!

This is The Oaks Residence 2? They're still selling at ~$1.5M. Why would anyone want to buy this one for $1.95M instead?
no inventory. need to join priority list. need to then bid on the home.

LF is becoming popular as they are either priced out or don't feel the Irvine premium is worth it.

sleepy5136 said:
CalBears96 said:

LF is becoming popular as they are either priced out or don't feel the Irvine premium is worth it.

But Lake Forest is not Irvine. 😎

BlackKnight said:
sleepy5136 said:
CalBears96 said:

But Lake Forest is not Irvine. 😎
welcome back Troll! Glad to know Mendocino in SG isn't Lake Forest :)

$1.9 - likely 1.7 best case, is still quite the payday. Would sure hate to be the bigger fool here.

No I am not the owner of New Dawn. But this does bring up an interesting topic. Does people prefer new builds, besides the new home smell, is it because the open floor plan? like formal living room and formal dining room are out of style and upstairs loft and downstairs bedroom with full bath are the new trend?

the lot size is small and sometimes you don?t have have a normal street or drive way?.is the floor plan really worth the trade off with variety, lot size and garage/drive way/parking?

The California Court Company said:
No I am not the owner of New Dawn. But this does bring up an interesting topic. Does people prefer new builds, besides the new home smell, is it because the open floor plan? like formal living room and formal dining room are out of style and upstairs loft and downstairs bedroom with full bath are the new trend?

the lot size is small and sometimes you don?t have have a normal street or drive way?.is the floor plan really worth the trade off with variety, lot size and garage/drive way/parking?

The older style floor plans are fine if you have a big house and want to use those rooms but if you aren't using them they just eat up square feet and you tend to get smaller master suites/baths.

I have two kids with houses that are about 2000 square feet.

One is a single story with 3 small secondary bedrooms, two baths, great room, open kitchen, large island and walk in pantry. When u walk into the house, you enter a good size foyer.

Other kid has a two story with 3 small secondary bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, loft, small kitchen, small dining area not visible to the kitchen, family room and living room, no real pantry. When you walk in you r in the house.

First time I saw the single story I said this can't be only 2000 sq feet. No stairs, no wasted living room. Nice open kitchen with a dining room table u can see from the kitchen and great room. Only two baths but they are both downstairs. I think the ceiling MIGHT be higher too which helps it look bigger.

Second one I say there is no way this is close to 2000 sq feet! But it is. The stairs take up about 200 sq feet just because they are there (not even under stair storage). The kitchen is so small one person has to move to let someone by the tiny island that should never have been there or open the oven and there is nowhere to eat in the kitchen unless u r cooking and tasting the food, lol! To get the flour out of the non pantry, you have to remove all the cereal, cracker boxes and spices and no one can get by you in the meantime. The living room is completely useless. Now they have a kid they realize it's not really ideal to eat standing up around that stupid little island. Taking it out only removes a couple cabinets, so not really helpful. Two 1/2 baths but downstairs is only a powder room.

Two kids, same sq footage. One can live with kids there (small bedrooms but doable). The other can't. Difference is the stairs and living room which are completely wasting space.

My wife must have a new home. That's her first criteria.

We happen to love IP's floorplan. The Bluffs 2 we bought has a decent lot size. The only thing it's missing is the driveway. I would have like to get Highland 1, which has the driveway. Personally, I don't like people parking on the street in front of my house, so that would have worked out perfectly for me. Unfortunately, the Highland 1 that was released did have a very small lot (7 ft to the back wall on the far side vs. 27 ft for Bluffs 2), and it was released after we've already reserved Bluffs 2 anyway.

As for is the floorplan worth not having driveway? Yes, because we live in the house, not on the driveway.  ;D I mean, having a driveway would have been nice, but we've never parked in the driveway, so it's not a necessity.

Ready2Downsize said:

The older style floor plans are fine if you have a big house and want to use those rooms but if you aren't using them they just eat up square feet and you tend to get smaller master suites/baths.

One is a single story with 3 small secondary bedrooms, two baths, great room, open kitchen, large island and walk in pantry. When u walk into the house, you enter a good size foyer.

Other kid has a two story with 3 small secondary bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, loft, small kitchen, small dining area not visible to the kitchen, family room and living room, no real pantry. When you walk in you r in the house.

First time I saw the single story I said this can't be only 2000 sq feet. No stairs, no wasted living room. Nice open kitchen with a dining room table u can see from the kitchen and great room. Only two baths but they are both downstairs. I think the ceiling MIGHT be higher too which helps it look bigger.

Second one I say there is no way this is close to 2000 sq feet! But it is. The stairs take up about 200 sq feet just because they are there (not even under stair storage). The kitchen is so small one person has to move to let someone by the tiny island that should never have been there or open the oven and there is nowhere to eat in the kitchen unless u r cooking and tasting the food, lol! To get the flour out of the non pantry, you have to remove all the cereal, cracker boxes and spices and no one can get by you in the meantime. The living room is completely useless. Now they have a kid they realize it's not really ideal to eat standing up around that stupid little island. Taking it out only removes a couple cabinets, so not really helpful. Two 1/2 baths but downstairs is only a powder room.

Two kids, same sq footage. One can live with kids there (small bedrooms but doable). The other can't. Difference is the stairs and living room which are completely wasting space.

Single level at 2000 sqt will definitely be so much more spacious than a similar sqt 2 story home.

Irvinehomeseeker said:
Ready2Downsize said:

Single level at 2000 sqt will definitely be so much more spacious than a similar sqt 2 story home.

Grew up in a single story. Always felt like we had some kind of old fashioned house that was inferior to a two story (same age houses but kids think weird things sometimes).

Need to be on the first floor cuz my knee is shot but never realized how much more spacious a single story of the same sq footage is. Won't ever go back. Weird thing is two of my kids won't buy a two story. The other one (with the poor floor plan) won't go for a one story till she is O L D. LOL! But she's never been to my other daughter's single story (bought it during covid).

yes it is not fair to compare single vs two story homes as the stairs count as square footage. What do you think will be the next innovation or trend as land becomes more premium. we already have 3rd floor floor plans whether it is bonus room or rooftop deck. wondering we will see basement next . it will be so nice to have a man cave.

Next innovation? Big box warehouses with partitions...LOW HASSLE, NO YARD MAINTAINENCE, NO WINDOWS TO CLEAN, BEST PRICE IN TOWN!

Could be the floor plan. I would argue another one is the cost of ripping things out and making it to your liking is expensive. Not only that, it's difficult to find someone you trust with such a big project. Unless of course you have an experienced team or you DIY and have it done at your own pace.

New homes are lacking a driveway is quite a shame. I tend to wash my own car and doing it in a motorcourt is do-able. But you run into situations where water might go to your neighbors garage door depending how far you are from your neighbors.

I have a similar thought -
Newer Homes has open floor plans, upgrades are in trend, you worry less about needing to fix things, but the average yard is small, you are very close to your neighbors unless you pay a big premium to buy a larger lot.

For older homes, floor plans are less open, fewer bathrooms, size of rooms can be smaller, old upgrades you can always fix and you may need to fix up certain things, but you get a bigger lot and yard.  Some old home floor plan is actually pretty functional. You get a little bit of diversity in homes and communities too.

I personally like older homes - especially if you can find an OK floor plan in a good neighborhood. But I think more people still prefer newer homes - judging by the intensity of bidding wars and speed of home appreciation - Eastwood, Orchard Hills, Stonegate, even Woodbury seem to have a lot of fans

huuur said:

I have a similar thought -
Newer Homes has open floor plans, upgrades are in trend, you worry less about needing to fix things, but the average yard is small, you are very close to your neighbors unless you pay a big premium to buy a larger lot.

For older homes, floor plans are less open, fewer bathrooms, size of rooms can be smaller, old upgrades you can always fix and you may need to fix up certain things, but you get a bigger lot and yard.  Some old home floor plan is actually pretty functional. You get a little bit of diversity in homes and communities too.

I personally like older homes - especially if you can find an OK floor plan in a good neighborhood. But I think more people still prefer newer homes - judging by the intensity of bidding wars and speed of home appreciation - Eastwood, Orchard Hills, Stonegate, even Woodbury seem to have a lot of fans

I like having a large driveway, 3CWG, large lot, space between neighbors, and no HOA.  If you are happy with the older floorplan (which I am), styles can easily be updated.  Just use some of that money you saved by not buying new.  In fact, it's kind of fun to put your own style touches on a house and not feel limited by a list of builder options.

gorams said:
I hope not, I was thinking 2.45 ought to do it. But I?ve been losing out on listings for 3 months now so clearly I?ve been off

Imagine paying 2.5-3 for a relatively average listing like Slate Gray when model homes 101 Pewter went for 2.2 and 121 Parakeet for 2.675, just a few weeks ago. This is a nightmare :(

Yeah we will be seeing Pumpkin open house too. GLTA

Seller raised Slate Gray to almost $2.4 Million. Maybe that indicates if you come in there you'll get it. Maybe if you ask your realtor to ask the other realtor what do we have to beat? Could work. If that doesn't, maybe try going to open houses and say you have no realtor and see if the realtor at the open house accepts you. Maybe that buys you a little insight into what to offer? Maybe not ethical.

Back