New to Irvine, seeking opinions for a property in Walnut Village/College Park

freedomcm said:
SoclosetoIrvine said:
I agree with everyone else, train tracks and power lines are a big no no for me.  Heard from a family friend that they knew some family that lived under power lines and their kids went crazy.  I haven't seen the data but if you are pregnant and near power lines, it's probably not good odds for a healthy baby. 
"Alternative Facts"

If you have any reasonable evidence (i.e. not weekly world news class), please provide, but so far, I've seen no scientific evidence of this.

You are correct - there is no good scientific data but then again not many longitudinal studies have really looked into this to prove that there is absolutely NO negative health impact. It hasn't been proved for or against.
But the "perception" of many is that there is a negative long term impact so do you think people would want to take that chance especially with their family, with their young children? If there is a "perception" of negative value for close vicinity of power lines to your property then that limits your future buyer pool and desirability of that property.
So "alternative fact or not" it doesn't matter BUT limiting your buyer pool does matter for future resale. For personal and investment purposes I would never purchase a home with power lines running directly above it and I bet you a majority of people share my sentiment.

How do people sell houses where power lines are everywhere? Like where I grew up?

Maybe that's why I'm crazy... or... I've built up an immunity... I have a super power!!!

Appreciate all the great opinions... I'm staying away from railroad tracks, power lines, freeway, and busy streets due to noise and limited buyer pool when it's time to sell. As for the "wait n see" approach, I'll continue to monitor and look for a house in Irvine within my budget and criteria. Renting is not bad at the moment so there's no rush. Thanks again.

irvinehomeowner said:
How do people sell houses where power lines are everywhere? Like where I grew up?

Maybe that's why I'm crazy... or... I've built up an immunity... I have a super power!!!

Nothing like sitting back in your patio to the relaxing crackle of high power lines on a humid day.

Paris said:
freedomcm said:
SoclosetoIrvine said:
I agree with everyone else, train tracks and power lines are a big no no for me.  Heard from a family friend that they knew some family that lived under power lines and their kids went crazy.  I haven't seen the data but if you are pregnant and near power lines, it's probably not good odds for a healthy baby. 
"Alternative Facts"

If you have any reasonable evidence (i.e. not weekly world news class), please provide, but so far, I've seen no scientific evidence of this.

You are correct - there is no good scientific data but then again not many longitudinal studies have really looked into this to prove that there is absolutely NO negative health impact. It hasn't been proved for or against.
But the "perception" of many is that there is a negative long term impact so do you think people would want to take that chance especially with their family, with their young children? If there is a "perception" of negative value for close vicinity of power lines to your property then that limits your future buyer pool and desirability of that property.
So "alternative fact or not" it doesn't matter BUT limiting your buyer pool does matter for future resale. For personal and investment purposes I would never purchase a home with power lines running directly above it and I bet you a majority of people share my sentiment.

You are right.  Majority of studies at this point show an "association" between power lines and health risks, but there isn't enough scientific data to conclude without a doubt that power lines cause health risks.  These below are studies who show a clear association
https://academic.oup.com/aje/articl...sidential-and-Occupational-Exposures-to-50-Hz

Here's a scientific study that isn't from "world news" on breast cancer odds in women
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12843769

Study with pregnant women exposure to extremely low frequency magnetic fields showing an increased risk of childhood leukemia
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11744509
This a pool of lots of scientific data showing a great association of health risks if the exposure is at 0.4 microT, though there may be scientific bias as not every home in those studies had access to high voltage power lines.  Not sure if the ones in Irvine are high voltage or not.

irvinehomeowner said:

When everywhere in your city there are power lines running in all different directions then no problem selling your house. It's like in Ladera Ranch where those massive power lines are everywhere - I think the buyers expect it and don't think of it much. But in cities where it is rare to find like in Irvine I think it matters. In a city someone wants to live if they have the choice for no power lines/ no railroad tracks/ not next to the 5 freeway they would choose that option over a house that has one of these flaws.

SoclosetoIrvine said:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11744509
This a pool of lots of scientific data showing a great association of health risks if the exposure is at 0.4 microT, though there may be scientific bias as not every home in those studies had access to high voltage power lines.  Not sure if the ones in Irvine are high voltage or not.

This is unlikely to be due to chance but, may be, in part, due to bias. This is difficult to interpret in the absence of a known mechanism or reproducible experimental support.

Back