New iPhone Press Event

irvinehomeowner said:
Got an email saying my phone is ready to pick up at Best Buy. Should I go there when it opens?

Be prepared to wait. You'll see a bigger line than FCBs at a TIC grand opening ;)

Every year many say the new iPhone isn't very good, yet every year, it sells like crazy.

Reading C|Net, the gold version sold out the quickest, within 10 minutes, it took until 4am for the silver/white and grey to get pushed out to October ship dates.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57603813-37/gold-iphone-5s-backordered-online-in-us-elsewhere/http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57603828-37/gold-iphone-5s-gone-baby-gone-wherever-you-look/

I dunno about Apple not having the cachet of LV, but being able to cause buyer frenzy just by releasing a new color seems to show some pull. It's not even a new model but an S refresh... whacko.

Apple sure is stingy.. no cash back from any site... all had the iPhone 5s 5C exclusion... if buying anything else, Discover CB had it at 5%

Just picked up two iPhone 5s at Verizon store. All the whites and gold are not available.

That was a long long wait but I love the finger print scanner.

I upgraded our iPad and my old iPhone 4 (which is basically my kids iPod touch) to iOS7 last night.

Interesting design language... what's old is new and what's new is old.

I like the multi-capture feature on the camera although my kids will go wild with that and use up all the memory.

iacrenter said:
Just picked up two iPhone 5s at Verizon store. All the whites and gold are not available.

How long was it? What time did you get there and how many people were in front of you?

I think that the lines at the non-Apple stores are not that bad any more because of past bad experiences so people are either ordering online or going to an Apple store.

When I called Best Buy today, they said they were actually open at 8am but no one knew so the line was small... and this is the biggest allocation of iPhones they have got in the last 4 years. They are running low, will run out of AT&T phones first... but they also have quite a few 5cs too.

irvinehomeowner said:
iacrenter said:

How long was it? What time did you get there and how many people were in front of you?

I think that the lines at the non-Apple stores are not that bad any more because of past bad experiences so people are either ordering online or going to an Apple store.

When I called Best Buy today, they said they were actually open at 8am but no one knew so the line was small... and this is the biggest allocation of iPhones they have got in the last 4 years. They are running low, will run out of AT&T phones first... but they also have quite a few 5cs too.

There were about 50 people in front of me at 8am at Verizon store @ Market Place Irvine. I waited about 3 hours in line to get the phone. When I left the store there were only 8 people in line. They said they had NO allocation for gold phones and quickly ran out of white phones. They still had plenty of stock of Gray iPhones.

242a7fr.jpg

Tyler Durden said:
Wow dude!

That's amazing that you stuck it out.  When did you first get into the line?

I got there at 8am when the store opened. According to Verizon staff, some people were camped out there at 3am today. If they were waiting for the gold phone, I feel bad for them. Several people walked out of line after hearing the white phones sold out.

The Verizon staff were organized and friendly. Each person in line was registered and assigned a number.  Apparently Apple has a lot rules for selling their phone at Verizon stores (I would imagine this would apply to other corporate cell stores as well)--1) No more than 5 customers can be helped simultaneously for purchasing an iPhone 2) There must be a well marked line OUTSIDE the store 3) You are required to watch a brief multimedia presentation (staff member did it on his iPad) highlighting iOS7 features.

Despite the long line, most people were in a good mood and were talking up tech stuff. I saw a lot of Irvine moms buying iPhones for their kids. Several were texting frantically trying to see if their child would be okay with a gray phone after the supplies ran out. Apparently there are stacks of iPhone 5c in various colors without much love at Verizon.

I'm happy to have the phone but really wish I could have my 3 hours back. I hope Apple allows pre-orders for the iPhone 6 next year, otherwise I will be here yet again. Next time I will be sure to bring a portable chair--my back hurts from all that standing.

I'm going to try to find one for my wife this evening (she has been complaining non-stop about her iPhone 4S). I am looking for a 32gb AT&T iPhone 5S in silver or gray. Any tips on where they still have them? I'm thinking to try the AT&T store first and Apple store second?

paperboyNC said:
I'm going to try to find one for my wife this evening (she has been complaining non-stop about her iPhone 4S). I am looking for a 32gb AT&T iPhone 5S in silver or gray. Any tips on where they still have them? I'm thinking to try the AT&T store first and Apple store second?

I don't think you will be able to find any silver ones. Try AT&T store first. I went to an AT&T store and I was told none of the carrier stores have silver ones. The only ones they have is gray. I didn't want gray, so I didn't bother to ask which ones they have in stock. There was no lines when I was there. About 10 ppl lined up outside the store around 9am. I also went to the Apple Store in Mission Viejo mall. They only had 16GB gray iphone 5s. Gold and silvers were quickly sold out. Not sure how many they had. I ordered mine online but was hoping to get one in store. Glad that I ordered at 12:01am now. Good luck!

So I finally went to BB (scheduled an appointment time over the phone), got there and a guy with a clipboard asked me what I was there for and told him I had an appointment. He got me the next available person and I skipped over the 5 or 6 people waiting. He asked me my name and there was a phone reserved for me in their locked closet.

There were some issues with activating the phone since I went from Android to an iPhone but they were able to resolve it and I was done.

Probably the best experience I've had considering I was able to get the phone on the day of release without staying up after midnight or standing in line.

I talked to the person helping me about the iPhone 4 release 4 years ago and she said she remembers how much of a nightmare that was. She told me that this is the most units they have received from Apple and this release is so much easier to manage.

I would check online to see availability at your local Best Buys, it's pretty painless.

Back