New iPad(s) announcment on Oct 16?

momopi said:
The WSJ review of the new iMac and IPad Air reads like an Apple commercial.  LoL.

Here's my $0.02 on the iMac.  If you really need the high quality retina iMac, by all means, go for it and pay the extra for Apple extended warranty.

If you want to save money, check Craiglist for used iMac.  The 27" iMac sold for $1800 new can be had for $800 used today.  Reference current OSX release supported hardware list.  I believe OSX 10.10 supports Mid-2007 or later iMac's.

If you buy from a store that sells used iMac's, you might pay a little more than private party, but some offer 3-6 month warranty so it's not a bad deal.

The going rate for used 20"-24" iMac's (mid 2007 or later models) is as low as $350-$500.  Today I saw a 20" Mid-2007 iMac with OSX 10.10, MS Office, 2.4 Ghz, 500 GB HDD, 3 GB RAM, inc. keyboard and mouse for $240 on OC Craiglist.  It's 7 years old, but if in good working condition, it's still a good deal if you're on a tight budget.

Did this become TalkSantaAna.com? :) If you can afford to live in Irvine you should be able to afford new electronics. Use a credit card that extends the warranty for one year for free.

I personally would never buy a used cell phone or tablet. Battery life sucks, no warranty, possibly stolen goods, etc.

paperboyNC said:
momopi said:
The WSJ review of the new iMac and IPad Air reads like an Apple commercial.  LoL.

Here's my $0.02 on the iMac.  If you really need the high quality retina iMac, by all means, go for it and pay the extra for Apple extended warranty.

If you want to save money, check Craiglist for used iMac.  The 27" iMac sold for $1800 new can be had for $800 used today.  Reference current OSX release supported hardware list.  I believe OSX 10.10 supports Mid-2007 or later iMac's.

If you buy from a store that sells used iMac's, you might pay a little more than private party, but some offer 3-6 month warranty so it's not a bad deal.

The going rate for used 20"-24" iMac's (mid 2007 or later models) is as low as $350-$500.  Today I saw a 20" Mid-2007 iMac with OSX 10.10, MS Office, 2.4 Ghz, 500 GB HDD, 3 GB RAM, inc. keyboard and mouse for $240 on OC Craiglist.  It's 7 years old, but if in good working condition, it's still a good deal if you're on a tight budget.

Did this become TalkSantaAna.com? :) If you can afford to live in Irvine you should be able to afford new electronics. Use a credit card that extends the warranty for one year for free.

I personally would never buy a used cell phone or tablet. Battery life sucks, no warranty, possibly stolen goods, etc.

I think you are a little harsh on momo. I think it was nice of momo to give that suggestion. For example, if you want to buy an apple computer for your kid and don't want to fork over $2gs. Because you can use that money for vacation or something else.

paperboyNC said:
momopi said:

Did this become TalkCompton.com? :) If you can afford to live in Irvine you should be able to afford new electronics. Use a credit card that extends the warranty for one year for free.

i took offense to this so i changed it :)

eyephone said:
I think you are a little harsh on momo. I think it was nice of momo to give that suggestion. For example, if you want to buy an apple computer for your kid and don't want to fork over $2gs. Because you can use that money for vacation or something else.

I think it's ironic that well off people really like to buy electronics and cars used (that have excellent resale value for this very reason) but like to buy clothes new (that have horrible resale value). You can actually wash clothes better than you can wash a car or a computer.

paperboyNC said:
eyephone said:

I think it's ironic that well off people really like to buy electronics and cars used (that have excellent resale value for this very reason) but like to buy clothes new (that have horrible resale value). You can actually wash clothes better than you can wash a car or a computer.

Actually no one knows where you buy your clothes unless you let people know. I buy my clothes at the outlets and/or discount stores. (TJ max, Costco)

paperboyNC said:
momopi said:

Mojo Computers in Santa Ana sometimes have good deals on used Mac's.  If you're buying desktop iMac or Mac Pro, battery life is not a concern.  But if you're buying used laptop, I'd suggest checking replacement battery cost.

If you're buying used from a store, you can negotiate with them to upgrade the memory and replace HDD if desired.  It's easy to DIY with White MacBook, but difficult with certain iMac models.  Example:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2308+Hard+Drive+Replacement/1766

paperboyNC said:
eyephone said:

I used to shop at Buffalo Exchange.  Buying stuff there is hit-or-miss, versus going to Macy's with a stack of coupons work 80% of the time.

As for electronics, Apple products have poor resale value once it falls off the support list.  For example, G5 PowerMac and iMac's can be had for as little as $100 used.  It's a hassle dealing with unsupported hardware, but if you're fine with it, OSX 10.5.8 works just fine.  If you can find one that's loaded with sofwtare like MS Office, iLife, iWork, Aperture, Adobe CS, etc., you'd be able to use it for many years.

The California Court Company said:
Apple products are grossly overpriced. It is a smart move to buy them used in good conditions.

I'd argue the opposite. Brand new Samsung Galaxy S4 was $199.99 last year. iPhone 5S was $199.99. Gazelle.com is offering $100 for a used S4 and $220 for a used iPhone 5S right now.

Android = better to buy used. iPhone = better to buy new and sell for a profit.

Apple products are grossly overpriced. It is a smart move to buy them used in good conditions.

Actually they hold their price so well when used that it's hardly a good deal to buy them used. 

rnirvine said:
Actually they hold their price so well when used that it's hardly a good deal to buy them used. 

...whatever made you think Apple products hold their price well?

jmoney74 said:
I have an ipad 2 that is 16GB.. can't even fit two movies on there.  Unfortunately Apple is still charging a sham of a price for capacity.

Not as bad as it used to be.

32gb - now $50 extra (used to be $100) - only available on older models unfortunately
64gb - now $100 extra (used to be $200)
128gb - now $200 extra (used to be $300)

I bought a 32gb iPad Air over the holidays for $250. The space is still tight if you want to load movies, but it does have way more space than the 16gb.

I do agree that iPads should come with 32gb for no additional cost, but apple is way too greedy.

jmoney74 said:
ps9 said:
http://slickdeals.net/f/7586238-16gb-apple-ipad-air-2-retina-wifi-tablet-400-free-shipping

Cheaper by about $100 from msrp, but 16g is tiny, can't even update iOS properly at this storage.  Maybe if you have a lot of ebay credit.

I have an ipad 2 that is 16GB.. can't even fit two movies on there.  Unfortunately Apple is still charging a sham of a price for capacity.

It's basically Apple's way of forcing you to use their cloud system..monthly charges!  Same reason why Apple got rid of the 32 gb iphones...16 gb stores nothing while the 64 gb version costs more upfront. 

Super iPad:

New_details_about_Apples_supersized-e536d4540a002ea38513c5bc1474ff86

Perfect for my selfie stick

Back