New house smell

ukuoy

I just moved into my new home. The intense smell is everywhere especially in rooms with fewer windows. I feel headache if staying too long in one room.  :'(Does anyone have good idea to get rid of the smell?

New carpeting and the pad used will often have a 1 week long odor to it. As said erlier, it passes.

Baking soda and coffee.

You are most likely smelling paint and carpet.

I thought that's why people paid the new premium... for that smell.

Agree with the previous posts above.  I also added some house plants too.  They are nature's first air purifiers.

Also I bought a lot of odor eliminators from a Target and Bed, Bath, and Beyond. 

It really helped. Also the best time to vent is right after it rains. That fresh rain smell is amazing at sucking out the odor.  Or you can wait for the damp night air, it generally happens after 2am. Something about plants and the carbon cycle.

Thanks for all the posts. I do put a dish of vinegar in the living room. It helps a little bit. I smelled around the house and most of the smells come from wood furniture and paintings. I kinda regret buying those low end furniture from Living Spaces

Thank god it wasn't Ikea furniture, whatever they use to treat the wood fumes up the whole house once assembled.

test said:
Where can I get "new house smell" scented air fresheners?

You can make your own "new house smell" air freshner:

1) Saw up some wood inside the house

2) Open a 5 gallon paint bucket

3) Unroll a new carpet or rug

4) Buy some Ikea furniture

and repeat for every room you want to smell like a new house.

ukuoy said:
I smelled around the house and most of the smells come from wood furniture and paintings. I kinda regret buying those low end furniture from Living Spaces

we bought a white dresser for our daughters room from living spaces for a couple of hundred bucks. i noticed when i would go in there when i get home from work i could smell the wood. however, i turn on the air purifier when i get home from work and by the time we put her to bed it no longer smells. thats how i know the air purifier works. we leave it on overnight and turn it off in the morning. so she is never in there without the air purifier being on.

What's wrong with new home smell anyway?  No side effects and and and..

I forgot what I was going to say.

jmoney74 said:
What's wrong with new home smell anyway?  No side effects and and and..

I forgot what I was going to say.

That's the thing,  the intoxicating new home smell make you forget things and the pain of how much you paid for them.

Back