New $376M Irvine property tax to upgrade aging IUSD schools

Would you support a 5bps ($480 on $1M home) property tax to upgrade facilities at aging IUSD schools

• Total voters
Say it ain't so....................... Irvine can squeeze money out of FCB who aren't eligible to vote?

I know IUSD has tried to put paltry taxes thru only to be voted down (even making old folks exempt) but I suspect now that they only need 50% of the vote instead of 2/3 it just might pass.

i1 said:
Looks like IUSD wants to put a new measure on the ballot next year. Purpose is to upgrade facilities and technologies at the old IUSD schools to bring them up to par with the recently built IUSD schools. Almost all money would only go to old IUSD schools, nothing or very little to newer ones.

The added property tax would be $48 per $100k of assessed home value, so $480 annually on a home with $1M assessed value to pay for a total of $376M new debt. Would you support this?

IMO, feels like this is asking owners of newer homes (who have higher MR already) to pay to upgrade old schools for homeowners in old hoods (who pay little or no MR). So CV/SG/OH/WB/GP/NP/NWP owners who pay higher MR all get to pay more to upgrade the older schools for Turtle Rock and Shady Canyon residents.

The extra tax will likely only be paid by owners that reside within the old school attendance boundaries.

It seems weird that people wouldn't support a bond in IUSD considering it's a major selling point and point of emphasis for people who live in Irvine.

From what I remember of Measure A, there was a lot of politicking going on, even to the point where teachers were saying they would lose their jobs if we don't vote for it (it was also a tax on homeowners for IUSD).

It got Gandalf'd and what ended up happening is local businesses/people ponied up the money needed and all was good in Unicorn Land.

I think $376m is more than the previous needed amount but with many more new homeowners now than in the past, unsure of how this will go. I would think they would not vote for it considering they already pay MRs.

And maybe it's just me, but with all the MRs in the past 5-10 years going to IUSD, I think they can find $376m in there somewhere.

[/quote]
is that a guess or based on first-hand info?
[/quote]
It is a guess based on logic.  MR money goes specifically to specified improvements and paid by only certain househoilds and similarly if the schools that will receive these funds are earmarked then the taxes should only be paid by those within their attendance boundaries.  It might have been actually done that way in TUSD but difficult to verify because I doubt anyone who lives in Tustin and doesn't pay MR reads this blog.

ps9 said:
What's another $400 on top of your $10k mello, :):):)

I heard mello keeps the riff raff out....so you can pretend it's protection money to keep the poors from buying in Irvine.

irvinehomeowner said:
From what I remember of Measure A, there was a lot of politicking going on, even to the point where teachers were saying they would lose their jobs if we don't vote for it (it was also a tax on homeowners for IUSD).

It got Gandalf'd and what ended up happening is local businesses/people ponied up the money needed and all was good in Unicorn Land.

I think $376m is more than the previous needed amount but with many more new homeowners now than in the past, unsure of how this will go. I would think they would not vote for it considering they already pay MRs.

And maybe it's just me, but with all the MRs in the past 5-10 years going to IUSD, I think they can find $376m in there somewhere.

Mello roos don't work that way though...you can't use money from Stonegate Mello Roos to fix up school elsewhere. 

Also...mello roos allocation for IUSD is not very high.  It's usually around $35-50.

I'm not an expert, but why wouldn't they just sign up for additional mello-roos specifically in those older neighborhoods? Most have very low MR (or possibly none), why shouldn't they pay their share to upkeep Irvine/IUSD?

Irvinecommuter said:
Mello roos don't work that way though...you can't use money from Stonegate Mello Roos to fix up school elsewhere. 
That's what they say, but what did TUSD do with all the MRs from Villages of Columbus?

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
That's what they say, but what did TUSD do with all the MRs from Villages of Columbus?

I think someone mentioned that there wasn't anything with those MRs to make them allocate to a school

jmoney74 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:

I think someone mentioned that there wasn't anything with those MRs to make them allocate to a school

Then WTF is TUSD doing up in OH? They are pillaging the Grove owners to the tune of over $200M+ in school bonds!
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,10941.msg214219.html#msg214219

There is no way they are building $200M worth of school infrastructure in OH. They are going to use that money all over the district.

Why can't IUSD do the same thing will all the new TIC villages? Just add $300M-500M bonds to Eastwood, PS III-V, OH Neighborhood 3&4, GP later phases etc...

So I guess the Legacy/Greenwood schools are going to be cutting edge futuristic from all those MR funds that haven't been spent at VoC.

Maybe qwerchete's kids will be riding TUSD funded hoverboards to school.

irvinehomeowner said:
So I guess the Legacy/Greenwood schools are going to be cutting edge futuristic from all those MR funds that haven't been spent at VoC.

Maybe qwerchete's kids will be riding TUSD funded hoverboards to school.

They told me helicopter rides to school

Back