my daughter doesn't want 16th birthday party

SoCal said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Do any of you remember your last bday as a kid?

I think it was my 10th... all the dinosaurs had to leave early because the Ice Age was coming.

Did you do anything special for your 13th? If not, do you hate your mom? Yes or No.  :p

I don't want him to hate me. He may not even remember or believe that it was his choice not to have one, not mine.
I don't remember my 13th and it isn't as if I'm 60.  It was just 20 years ago.  I can remember my 21st (whether that is a good thing or not, who knows, haha).  Hell, I don't even remember my 16th or 18th and those would seem like bigger milestones than 13 (maybe they aren't). I think of 16 as cars and 18 as voting, registering for service, and getting my sweet free razor blade.  Oh and buying a pack of cigarettes and than throwing them in the trash...just because I could (only pack I ever bought). 

Weird. I remember mine and I'm older than you; but I'm not as ancient as Iho. It's understandable that Iho doesn't remember.

irvineorbust said:
I have a daughter who will be 16 years old this summer.  Unlike other girls, however, she doesn't want any party.  She has plenty of friends at school and church, but doesn't want anything except a small gift.

Take the money that you would have spent on party and gifts, and buy her a small gift of gold coins.  Ducats, 20 franc, Eagle, etc.

For young kids, I typically give them 1 oz silver bars.  Coins cost more but have added collectible value.

momopi said:
irvineorbust said:
I have a daughter who will be 16 years old this summer.  Unlike other girls, however, she doesn't want any party.  She has plenty of friends at school and church, but doesn't want anything except a small gift.

Take the money that you would have spent on party and gifts, and buy her a small gift of gold coins.  Ducats, 20 franc, Eagle, etc.

For young kids, I typically give them 1 oz silver bars.  Coins cost more but have added collectible value.

I love this. Great suggestion, Momo.

When my kids were little, instead of splurging on toys that would soon be forgotten, I bought them U.S. savings bonds.

Bullsback said:
SoCal said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Do any of you remember your last bday as a kid?

I think it was my 10th... all the dinosaurs had to leave early because the Ice Age was coming.

Did you do anything special for your 13th? If not, do you hate your mom? Yes or No.  :p

I don't want him to hate me. He may not even remember or believe that it was his choice not to have one, not mine.
I don't remember my 13th and it isn't as if I'm 60.  It was just 20 years ago.  I can remember my 21st (whether that is a good thing or not, who knows, haha).  Hell, I don't even remember my 16th or 18th and those would seem like bigger milestones than 13 (maybe they aren't). I think of 16 as cars and 18 as voting, registering for service, and getting my sweet free razor blade.  Oh and buying a pack of cigarettes and than throwing them in the trash...just because I could (only pack I ever bought).

So obviously you never had a "My Super Sweet 16 Party" where you got a Ferrari gifted to you at the end of the night  :) Well I didn't get one of those birthday parties either which is why I don't remember mine. So either you go big or go home SoCal. If the kids don't want a party maybe they want something else like a family vacation, a weekend trip somewhere? I don't know if teenagers like that stuff. I'm just used to my little ones who want nothing more than to spend time with their parents. I know I'm going to really miss this phase when they grow older and just go to their room when they get home from school  :-\

Back