Municipal Library

paydawg said:
bones said:
+1.  We need a better library.  It's sad that peeps in Irvine travel to NB to use their library.

New to Irvine.  What are the best libraries people go to around here for kids?...other than NB?  How is the Mission Viejo library?  And...are the current Irvine libraries a waste of my time?

Newport Beach library is a palace compared to Irvine's three libraries. I know because when I was in high school, I spent many many hours there.

However, if it's for kids, who cares? I don't see the point of driving an extra 30 mins roundtrip for nicer facilities for your kids to read in.

iacrenter said:
Costa Mesa with a population of ~100,000 is building a library and community center for $34.5M.
http://m.ocregister.com/articles/library-692644-city-mesa.html

Given that Irvine is more than twice as big, our proposed library budget should still be below $100M.

Irvine's population as of 2015 is 250,384 (increase of almost 50,000 people in 5 years).  The estimated built out population is 300,000 to 350,000 by 2020.https://legacy.cityofirvine.org/about/demographics.asp

Costa Mesa - $35 million / 100,000 = $350 per person for local library.
Irvine - 350,000 people for Irvine alone and being central location that serves North and South of OC with a larger regional demographics of 500,000+ does not sound unreasonable to me with the proposed budget.

Goriot said:
iacrenter said:
Costa Mesa with a population of ~100,000 is building a library and community center for $34.5M.
http://m.ocregister.com/articles/library-692644-city-mesa.html

Given that Irvine is more than twice as big, our proposed library budget should still be below $100M.

Irvine's population as of 2015 is 250,384 (increase of almost 50,000 people in 5 years).  The estimated built out population is 300,000 to 350,000 by 2020.https://legacy.cityofirvine.org/about/demographics.asp

Costa Mesa - $35 million / 100,000 = $350 per person for local library.
Irvine - 350,000 people for Irvine alone and being central location that serves North and South of OC with a larger regional demographics of 500,000+ does not sound unreasonable to me with the proposed budget.

Why should Irvine tax payers pay for a county/regional level library? Why not build a lower cost city library? Better yet, have the city cut a check for  $200M back to the tax payers.

Why should Irvine tax payers pay for a county/regional level library? Why not build a lower cost city library? Better yet, have the city cut a check for  $200M back to the tax payers.
[/quote]

Because a lovely iconic library at the Great Park will increase Irvine brand and image that will support the real estate property values (similar to central park and balboa park).  Also, higher traffic to Irvine amenities could generate traffic to local restaurants and retail stores which then Irvine can benefit from additional taxes.  The crowd that will use these cultural facilities will be more educated crowd (library, museum, etc.).  I think nice library, museum, outdoor amphitheater, park, and lake could all boost local property prices if they execute it right.  I am all for it as long as they do it correctly. 

I rather have the lovely library and/or cultural amenities then one time few hundred $ in my pocket.  I also look forward to taking my kid on a short 5 minute drive to these libraries and museums every weekend instead of Chuck N. Cheese.

Goriot said:
I rather have the lovely library and/or cultural amenities then one time few hundred $ in my pocket.
A city of Irvine's size and stature needs an iconic cultural site.  Even the City of Santa Ana, a city that's like 99% Mexican, owns the world class Bowers Museum.

Goriot said:
I also look forward to taking my kid on a short 5 minute drive to these libraries and museums every weekend instead of Chuck N. Cheese.
But your kids are (only)  looking forward to the weekly trip to Chuck

Irvine Dream said:
Goriot said:
I also look forward to taking my kid on a short 5 minute drive to these libraries and museums every weekend instead of Chuck N. Cheese.
But your kids are (only)  looking forward to the weekly trip to Chuck

LoL that is true though.  But, too bad~

Happiness said:
Goriot said:
I rather have the lovely library and/or cultural amenities then one time few hundred $ in my pocket.
A city of Irvine's size and stature needs an iconic cultural site.  Even the City of Santa Ana, a city that's like 99% Mexican, owns the world class Bowers Museum.

Mexicans can't be world class?

Paging qwerty...

Spending $200M for brand image and speculative real estate investment is a waste of Irvine tax dollars. Our goals should be more modest and focus on education and civic activities.

The days of spending ridiculous amounts on grandiose ideas are over. Governor Brown took away all the extra play money.

Going forward we should develop a fiscally responsible budget and partner with with the private sector. How about this:

Irvine kicks in $50M and then promises an additional $25M matching grant. Friends of the new Irvine/GP library raise the additional $25M through donations. Now you have $100M to build a decent library and at a cost of ~$275/resident (assuming 300,000 in Irvine).

Need to have this in a paper where tiger moms read, say it'll increase chances to get into Harvard.
Bam.
Library opens before Eastwood opens.

WTTCHMN said:
Happiness said:
Goriot said:

Mexicans can't be world class?

Paging qwerty...

Tell that to Carlos Slim, known as the Warren Buffet of Mexico. Carlos estimate: Net Worth72.9 billion USD 2015

I though Carlos Slim is Jewish but born in Mexico after his father moved there figuring he could start a business.  Anyhow he definitely figured out how to monopolize Mexico's ISP business.  Imagine how rich the Bells would be if...

You know Mayor Choi has a thing about the library right?

After all, he got a master degree in Librery Science.

lnc said:
You know Mayor Choi has a thing about the library right?

After all, he got a master degree in Librery Science.

I don't mind a new library just not the multi million dollar boondoggle he is proposing.

Also sneaking a city council vote on Election Day is lame.

I fully support this cause.  Instead of spending another $300 million on feasibility studies and proposals without any tangible outcome, make this a reality.  We need a place like Balboa park, Getty museum, etc. at center of Orange County instead of driving all the time to San Diego and LA to visit these places.  If they build a nice library/museum at the Cultural Terrace, I will visit every weekend with our kids.

There is money from the settlement.  Put it into a good cause at the Cultural Terrace instead of fees for the lawyers, accountants, and consultants or another 50 soccer fields for soccer moms. 

It is ridiculous that this proposal is being rushed through on Election Day. The people of Irvine should have their say at the polls and let the newly elected leaders plan the Cultural Terrace.

Shame on Mayor Choi and the City Council if they approve this measure today.

Back