Mover recommendation

irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Come on IHO, stop holding up the show here....you are the last hold out in not buying a home of all the regulars on here.  hahaha
Tell the resale inventory to go up... or TIC to make better floorplans.
I'll have a listing over in Columbus Grove in the Spring but it's not what you are looking for.  I've been hoping for more resale inventory as well, my buyers are getting very frustrated.  ???  :-\

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Come on IHO, stop holding up the show here....you are the last hold out in not buying a home of all the regulars on here.  hahaha
I'll have a listing over in Columbus Grove in the Spring but it's not what you are looking for.  I've been hoping for more resale inventory as well, my buyers are getting very frustrated.  ???  :-\

I am pretty much pissed for not making a move on those Sapphire properties.. Mr.CZ and I went back and forth, and by the time we got the house in order, they ave already recovered.. So much for the 2012 bottom :)

Cubic Zirconia said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

I am pretty much pissed for not making a move on those Sapphire properties.. Mr.CZ and I went back and forth, and by the time we got the house in order, they ave already recovered.. So much for the 2012 bottom :)
Hey, at least you guys refi'ed into a super low rate.  Nothing wrong in waiting on things get a little less frothy. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
I'll have a listing over in Columbus Square in the Spring but it's not what you are looking for.  I've been hoping for more resale inventory as well, my buyers are log jamming.  ???  :-\

I've been really shocked recently at how tight inventory is. I quit checking the MLS like an addict. I returned to it the other day after months of not looking. I seriously thought Redfin was malfunctioning. I can literally count on one hand how many homes are for sale in my neck of the woods. Four, to be exact. If a buyer was looking for an entry-level home at under $550k here, they would have precisely ONE choice. One. One or none.

I'm glad I bought when I did. It sure was slim pickin's then but next to nothing to choose from now. On that note, I'm looking forward to doing my second refi since buying.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Hey, at least you guys refi'ed into a super low rate.  Nothing wrong in waiting on things get a little less frothy. 

That we did! And now fully prepared if another opportunity comes by..

irvinehomeowner said:
PS9: You didn't call the Homer & IHO Moving Company? We'll just stand around and tell you where to move the stuff. :)

When you say "minor dings" what does that mean?

My stairs got some minor dings from all the bulky furniture we had upstairs when they were bringing them down, a cheap tv stand kinda fell apart when they moved it but they were able to put it back together, no mirrors broken so far.  Couple nicks on my new espresso banisters in the new place but nothing I can't touch up myself.  A cheap target lamp leg fell apart (boy do I have cheap furniture).  My new floors look the same but then it is already distressed so a new ding won't be noticeable. 

Reviving an old thread.  Does anyone have any new mover recommendations?  Price is not as much of an issue for me as quality.  Anyone have any of the movers do some of the packing for them?  Anyone use The Incredible Movers? 

irvnewmem said:
I will be using Incredible Move soon, they have good review on yelp, will let u know.

yes - please circle back and let me know.  Thanks & welcome to TI :)

irvnewmem said:
I will be using Incredible Move soon, they have good review on yelp, will let u know.

You can rent a UHaul truck and swing by a Home Depot parking lot. Then 5-10 guys will rush your truck and you will have to pick 2 random guys to help you move. (Just joking around)

All jokes aside, definitely hire a reputable company or your things might get damaged.

We moved twice in the past year (sold our house, lived with family briefly, then moved to another house) and had to store some stuff in between the two moves, so we were looking for a company that would do the moving and storage for us.  I just looked on yelp and we used Safeway Moving Co.  We were pleased with them.  They were quick and didn't damage any of our furniture or our walls (two big pluses).  They took apart all the furniture and then put it back together.  Also used pads and runners on the floors and carpet and protected the staircase with padding as well. 

We did all the packaging ourselves, so I can't speak to that (I'm not sure if they do that or not).

All in all, we had a good experience with them. 

We used incredible movers twice and was not really happy with them:

1.  On our first move, I wasn't around to manage the move.  I noticed that the boxes were misplaced despite being properly labeled.  Those that were supposed to go to the storage were in the house and vice versa.  So we ended up working past midnight moving boxes after we were supposed to already moved.  Then I thought, this is probably my fault because I should have been around.  So on our next move which was in less than 6 months, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and hired them again..

2.  This time, I was around.  Apparently, Incredible Movers subcontracted with ABC movers.  They came in and the person in-charge was such a whiner! They were so slow that my husband and I ended up helping them just to speed up the process.  One bedroom for 5 hours in less than 2 miles move?  Really, 5 hours? When all of our boxes were nicely packed and organized?  Not only that, I was really annoyed with the person in-charge - Alex.  Our bed is only a queen but the frame is adjustable recline so it is really heavy.  When he saw the frame, he started ranting about how are they supposed to bring it to the 2nd floor, and that it wont fit the stairs etc -- when they haven't even seen the home we were moving into!  My guess is, since we were moving from a one bedroom apartment, they probably thought we were moving into an equally small house! I was really upset.

Fortunately, they did not break anything.  I chose Incredible Movers because they have great reviews on yelp.  Apparently, you just have to be lucky.

I mentioned these guys in the List of Contractors thread:

Mission Movers (760)458-7914http://www.yelp.com/biz/mission-movers-costa-mesa

A relative used them and highly recommended them. I referred Incredible Movers and some of the other ones recommended here and on Yelp (I think Affordable Moving), but they ended up using Mission because of their flexibility and lower minimum (I think they said some of the companies required a 4-hour minimum).

Vietnamese movers.. cheap and they wrap it up for you (included in fee). 

jmoney74 said:
Vietnamese movers.. cheap and they wrap it up for you (included in fee). 
I used one a few years ago and they didn't wrap anything. He used guys who looked like they were day laborers and not really part of his business so they weren't very careful.

I guess it depends on who you use.

The next Olympic event:  4 men Moving Competition

Will the Russians go for gold?  Can the Viets secret pho warm up routine deliver?  Or the perennial favorite Mexicans dominate the field with their shrink wrap soccer ball?

Stay tune..

Back