Montessori / PreSchools Schools

Bullsback

Is there an existing thread regarding the better preschools in Irvine? Any major price differences between similar quality schools? We have been looking into it for our little one (who just turned one) and were targeting the 18-24 month range to put her into preschool / daycare.  Were impressed with Leport but wanted to see if others had impressions.

Also, if it helps, we live in West Irvine but I commute to Newport for work and my wife commutes to Lake Forest for work so other locations on the way would be beneficial too. Appreciate everyone's help! 

Our focus is on a clean facility that isn't overcrowded and would be a great place for our daughter to continue to learn (and learn from people trained to teach as opposed to my wife and I who are CPA's).  Obviously that isn't me saying, we are going to stop teaching her, cause we are always going to be teaching her, but I do think there is something to be said from having professionals who are better trained / experienced at teaching and helping little ones develop (on top of what we do when she's with us before / after work and on weekends, etc). 

We've only had experience with Montessori Schools of Irvine (they have 4 schools, Northwood, Westpark, Village and University) and we highly recommend them.

Our kid was in KinderCare for about 3 or 4 months and they were okay but once a space opened up in Montessori, that's where we sent our kids.

I think you'll be okay with any preschool in Irvine you choose, but it may depend on your philosophy and how you perceive the administrators, teachers and other kids.

My kids attend Spectrum Montessori located on Irvine Center Drive.  The school is relatively new (opened in Spring 2013) and very clean.  The teaching staff is friendly and well qualified.  Their toddler classes take 18 month olds.  They might have a wait list though (most Montessori schools in Irvine do).

Prior to this school, my daughter attended Irvine Montessori on Cartwright.  The teacher turnover rate seemed high while she was there, and her teachers were not very friendly to the parents.  Also her personal items kept getting lost even though they were all labeled (like food containers, clothing, etc.).

The Montessori of Irvine in Northwood is a great school and close to West Irvine, but the wait list is VERY long.  Tuition is slightly higher than Spectrum Montessori but lower than LePort.

LePort is good, but the tuition is the highest of all the preschools that we considered.

There is at least one old thread about Montessori and other preschools on Talk Irvine.  Just search for Montessori and it should show up.

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful. Really appreciate everyone's help.  Great to get direct feedback, especially since my wife and I are the first of our family / close friends to have kids. 

I have heard good things about Jenny Hart. They were probably 2nd place after Montessori.

What's funny is tuition at these preschools is about the same as a UC college... so we've already paid for multiple 4-5 year programs. :(

WTTCMN said:

Sorry I have to vent here.  I know the teachers there seem great but their admin was very deceptive.  They have a nice long wait list and they took my $100 registration promising me a spot in August.  They said I was #1 on their wait list.  I even got my friend to register there so she'll be #2.

A few weeks passed and I heard nothing.  I called back and said I was now #12 and I probably won't get enrollment until end of the year.  I said it was false advertising and they said they don't ever advertise what spot they have when someone registers. 

I reported them to the BBB and immediately they called me to offer a spot for September.  By then I already enrolled my daughter somewhere else.  I said I'll take that spot the following September.

Well next September came and went and heard nothing and they NEVER called me back and I lost $100 in registration fees.

I recommend be wary of any schools that takes an upfront registration fee just to be placed on a waitlist.

The guy that recorded the comcast call and posted it on the internet...he is smart...you can do the same thing.  Use SKYPE to call.  There is a recording function built into skype.

I've been through 5 different preschool/daycare systems and my favorite is the Irvine Montessori system.
http://www.irvinemontessori.com/

They are all owned by the same nice couple.  They like to hire credential teachers that's ALSO trained and certified by the Montessori system.

They offer lunch, which is a HUGE plus.  You do have to be "breakfast host" about once a month to offer snacks to the class.

They don't go crazy with donation requests and fundraisers like ICDC.  And I really enjoy their teaching method.  Phonics is really pushed there + math + science.

Music/dance is extra as an elective.

Art is whenever the kids feel like drawing, which for the girls is every day.  I like how they let the kids explore their own individual interests yet there's guidance if the kid is unsure what to choose.

The facilities are well maintained and clean.  Teachers are responsive and call back immediately.

Very nice report card system to track progress, which I made a copy and delivered to Irvine Unified when I registered for Kindergarten. 

WTTCMN said:
ZeroLot said:
I've been through 5 different preschool/daycare systems and my favorite is the Irvine Montessori system.
http://www.irvinemontessori.com/

They are all owned by the same nice couple.  They like to hire credential teachers that's ALSO trained and certified by the Montessori system.

They offer lunch, which is a HUGE plus.  You do have to be "breakfast host" about once a month to offer snacks to the class.

They don't go crazy with donation requests and fundraisers like ICDC.  And I really enjoy their teaching method.  Phonics is really pushed there + math + science.

Music/dance is extra as an elective.

Art is whenever the kids feel like drawing, which for the girls is every day.  I like how they let the kids explore their own individual interests yet there's guidance if the kid is unsure what to choose.

The facilities are well maintained and clean.  Teachers are responsive and call back immediately.

Very nice report card system to track progress, which I made a copy and delivered to Irvine Unified when I registered for Kindergarten. 

Do you mind sharing which location you had a good experience at?

Sent you a PM with the info.  :D

My daughter just graduated from Village Montessori.  She had a great three years there.  We couldn't be more happy about it, especially the kindergarten year.  The teacher is by far one of the best among all those who have taught my two kids.  Other teachers are very nice and caring as well.  We definitely miss them. 

My son went to Good Shepherd Preschool.  We had good experience with them too, but it was quite some years ago. 

irvinehomeowner said:
We've only had experience with Montessori Schools of Irvine (they have 4 schools, Northwood, Westpark, Village and University) and we highly recommend them.

Our kid was in KinderCare for about 3 or 4 months and they were okay but once a space opened up in Montessori, that's where we sent our kids.

I think you'll be okay with any preschool in Irvine you choose, but it may depend on your philosophy and how you perceive the administrators, teachers and other kids.

Just curious, between KinderCare and Montessori, did you see any difference in your kids learning progress? Did they get to learn more in advance? Did one offer more activities vs the other? Any major differences in curriculum? Thanks!

Have you looked into Congregation B'nai Israel Child Development Center in Tustin, off of Bryan Blvd. and Tustin Ranch Rd?  We loved it.  They follow the Emilia Reggio philosophy.  We are not Jewish, but fit well in the school as the school welcomes everyone.  It's not academic heavy as other preschools.  The school focuses on each child's individuality and how to foster the learning and growth of each specific child.  Ratio is lower also, than most schools. 

It's a hidden gem.
http://www.cbi18.org/preschool
http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Reggio_Emilia/

nyc to oc said:
meh on Le Port. We had our son at the Leport Westpark (San Marino) location for a year, but pulled him out to attend a more traditional preschool after the first year, which we liked a lot better (Fairmont Private Schools)  We've kept him there (this will be his third year there, entering kindergarten now). I think YMMV depending on which teacher you get. Personally, I think Montessori is overhyped, having seen the difference between Montessori and traditional approach.

On the plus side, I didn't experience a wait list at LePort, which may possibly be attributed to the high tuition rates.

Granted, I don't know much about the toddler program at LePort, but when I passed by the toddler rooms at San Marino, they didn't seem that different from other preschool/daycares I've toured. True Montessori approach (not just slapped on as a label, because its the in thing in Irvine) relies on a codified set of educational materials which are difficult, if not impossible to apply at the 18 to 24 month age.

I am sorry you had a bad experience with LePort.  This is very surprising.  Our daughter went to the same school (LePort San Marino) and she had a fantastic year.  She loved the school, leaned quickly to be self-sufficient, put on shoes, put away the toys, sit and listen (was a problem before, not now) and follow instructions/was toilet trained.  The teachers were awesome, understanding, warm and caring.  Our goal was to develop her independence, and LePort certainly delivered.  Notably, they don't have any silly plastic toys.  This isn't daycare.  All their materials are designed to promote logical thinking, sorting, categorizing, counting and organizing. That's HUGE for us.  We are not paying $ just to have her play with a plastic bus or a doll.

As an added bonus, now LePort has Spanish and Mandarin immersion programs?none of the other schools you mentioned here on the board have that program.  Personally, it is very important for us to have a bilingual child.  You may have different priorities.  But I highly recommend LePort!

Veronica said:
nyc to oc said:
meh on Le Port. We had our son at the Leport Westpark (San Marino) location for a year, but pulled him out to attend a more traditional preschool after the first year, which we liked a lot better (Fairmont Private Schools)  We've kept him there (this will be his third year there, entering kindergarten now). I think YMMV depending on which teacher you get. Personally, I think Montessori is overhyped, having seen the difference between Montessori and traditional approach.

On the plus side, I didn't experience a wait list at LePort, which may possibly be attributed to the high tuition rates.

Granted, I don't know much about the toddler program at LePort, but when I passed by the toddler rooms at San Marino, they didn't seem that different from other preschool/daycares I've toured. True Montessori approach (not just slapped on as a label, because its the in thing in Irvine) relies on a codified set of educational materials which are difficult, if not impossible to apply at the 18 to 24 month age.

I am sorry you had a bad experience with LePort.  This is very surprising.  Our daughter went to the same school (LePort San Marino) and she had a fantastic year.  She loved the school, leaned quickly to be self-sufficient, put on shoes, put away the toys, sit and listen (was a problem before, not now) and follow instructions/was toilet trained.  The teachers were awesome, understanding, warm and caring.  Our goal was to develop her independence, and LePort certainly delivered.  Notably, they don't have any silly plastic toys.  This isn't daycare.  All their materials are designed to promote logical thinking, sorting, categorizing, counting and organizing. That's HUGE for us.  We are not paying $ just to have her play with a plastic bus or a doll.

As an added bonus, now LePort has Spanish and Mandarin immersion programs?none of the other schools you mentioned here on the board have that program.  Personally, it is very important for us to have a bilingual child.  You may have different priorities.  But I highly recommend LePort!
We really liked LePort the year we had our kid there. Learned a lot of tangible skills/behaviors at an early age I don't think you can easily get at other preschools. Would prob do it again but yeah, in Irvine, feels like it has become kind of a fad for all the overzealous parents. There are other good options as well.

Again...really grateful for everyone's feedback in here. We checked out the Montessori of Irvine recommendation (long wait list for the location we are looking at, so it might not be an option) and are going to go check out Jenny Hart as well. Never did I realize how expensive daycare could be, haha. 

Back