Mitsuwa Marketplace to open in Irvine

Grand Opening this weekend!

Fellow forker Michelle clued me in that at 8:30 a.m. on December 17th, the festitivies will begin with a taiko drum performance. If you're a sucker for free swag, the first 500 customers on Saturday and Sunday will receive a Mitsuwa "Eco Bag." And the celebrity? One Katsuya Uechi, the man behind the Katsu-Ya restaurants, who will do a cooking demo at 2 p.m. on Saturday and 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Sunday.

On the menu: crisp mizuna and daikon radish salad with wild yam; kimpira (sauteed, simmered lotus root); and namasu (marinated radish and carrot). And I'm pretty sure there will be samples...and a crowd.
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/2011/12/mitsuwa_irvine_to_host_grand_o.php

stopped by for dinner last night, really crowded and made the small food court even smaller.  luckily Santouka served up the same delicious ramen, broth tastes the same, same tender toroniku.  didn't try the other food vendor (didn't want to stand in line twice).  the takoyaki place was not open yet, it's gonna feel really cramped when that opens.  there was also a baked goods/drinks shop but the display was not up to par with other japaneses bread shops and I wonder if they bake onsite?  seems a bit small to have ovens behind the green shutters/doors.  there was also a japanese cell phone shop which i will never use.  missed the demo kitchen event earlier, i wonder what they are going to do with that space, seems wasted just for special events.  browsed the groceries, seems half stocked, no beers yet.  the bento boxes did not have any "manager's special" price even though it was 6pm.  limited produce/fruits, good selection of shabu shabu meats but expensive.  missed whatever opening day special they had as there were alot of gaps and empty space in between displays...  glad we have a local grocer now for a quick Japanese food fix.  but in reality we'll probably be only frequenting Santouka..

Went twice already but still haven't tried Santouka yet--the food court seating was so full I figured I would be stuck standing with a cold bowl of ramen (they still don't do takeout?). Tried their bento and sushi for a home meal.

Parking in the front of the store is bad. The back parking lot seems better as most people don't know about it yet--the food court opens to the backside.

ps99472 said:
There is no back parking lot, only front, remember park in the FRONT.
What happened to the rear parking? I thought Heritage had it from back when it was Ace Hardware... did they close off that access?

More than 1/2 of the posters here can't cook. These Asian market prepared meals would do well if they could keep the prices low enough for the house poors. I was told that the poor students love 85 Celsius because $2/pastry is basically their entire budget for a meal.

irvinehomeshopper said:
More than 1/2 of the posters here can't cook. These Asian market prepared meals would do well if they could keep the prices low enough for the house poors. I was told that the poor students love 85 Celsius because $2/pastry is basically their entire budget for a meal.

I love to cook if I have the time...  i make a mean omelette and can open/pour beer like no other...

ps99472 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

I love to cook if I have the time...  i make a mean omelette and can open/pour beer like no other...

Prove it. :-\

Back