mattresses

We recently got one of those foam mattresses over the traditional coil one.

It's okay... it was expensive and I don't really like it but that's maybe because I'm really heavy so it's not as supportive as I would have hoped. It's firm when you lie on it but the edges and corners sink easily so it's not a bed that you can sit on the edges.

I wanted to get one of those online ones because of the money back guarantee but the boss wanted to try it in person and get it from a place that would take our old mattress. I don't recall the brand offhand, it was one of those S ones, Sealy or Serta and we got it at Living Spaces (cost over $1k... gah). She also wanted it because you can wash the cover and she thinks it's bug resistant.

Hopefully in a few years we can go back to a coil mattress.

Remember in the old country use to sleep on wooden boards with a few thick sheets on top.  It was extra firm to say the least.  And in the summer we use those weird woven bamboo/straw 'mattress toppers' to cool down, snags hair as well.  Ahh, memories......

ps9 said:
Remember in the old country use to sleep on wooden boards with a few thick sheets on top.  It was extra firm to say the least.  And in the summer we use those weird woven bamboo/straw 'mattress toppers' to cool down, snags hair as well.  Ahh, memories......

Man... you're like IHS Jr.

irvinehomeowner said:
We recently got one of those foam mattresses over the traditional coil one.

It's okay... it was expensive and I don't really like it but that's maybe because I'm really heavy so it's not as supportive as I would have hoped. It's firm when you lie on it but the edges and corners sink easily so it's not a bed that you can sit on the edges.

I wanted to get one of those online ones because of the money back guarantee but the boss wanted to try it in person and get it from a place that would take our old mattress. I don't recall the brand offhand, it was one of those S ones, Sealy or Serta and we got it at Living Spaces (cost over $1k... gah). She also wanted it because you can wash the cover and she thinks it's bug resistant.

Hopefully in a few years we can go back to a coil mattress.

Does your new one have latex in it? when foam mattresses were first introduced, I wanted one. We went to try them. But Mr. SoCal is a hot sleeper. I'll be shivering under a mound of blankets and he's sprawled out as though we're in Sub-Saharan Africa, suggesting we turn the fan on, while I counter-suggest we turn the heater on. He just couldn't handle the foam. "They don't breathe", he says. It's true. They don't. Not like other mattresses, I will admit. It's not just the latex but the way the material is designed. Very dense and sponge-like. I couldn't torture him like that. I figure: being married to me is torture enough. The man should at least be comfortable in his own bed. We went with a black label hybrid version of the S-es with a nice pillow top. It's awesome. In hindsight, I am glad we did. The foam probably would have annoyed me eventually anyway. I hope it works out for you, though. When I checked, they weren't cheap. I hope they've come down in price since then.

People - don't skimp on a mattress! We just bought one of these (~$6K incl the adjustable base that also vibrates) and we never knew what we were missing with our old Serta:http://www.aireloom.com/

In the Bay area you can find them at Mancini's Sleepworld. I think Macy's may carry them also. Really can;t recommend it highly enough.

SoclosetoIrvine said:
Anyone ever try the purple bed?
Been seeing it on social media everywhere and I'm tempted! Sub $1000 I think too

They've been getting some bad press lately due to some unknown white powder coating. May want to research about it before buying.

Back