Maricopa flag lots/shared driveway

thedude111222

Maricopa at Stonegate has 3 pairs of houses that have a shared driveway coming off from the street (Kingsbury, Lyndhurst, and Nassau(?) on the side closer to Spring Meadow). Realistically how much to these setups affect resale value? The price difference between these houses and normal lots appears to be about $10k....down the road do you think that the resale value of two similar homes (1 flag lot/shared driveway vs normal lot) vary by the same $10k, or would the two appreciate at different rates (ie 10k difference today but maybe 30-40k difference in 10 years)? 

From the salesteam, they explained that the shared driveway property of the community, so I don't think there would be any property disputes that normally plague shared driveways. 

basically, you are asking if its worth saving $10K to have a shared driveway.  i have to say absolutely not!  we wont even look at homes that have a shared driveway.  there is no curb appeal and it just looks odd.  the farthest house feels like a step child hidden in the back. 

$10K doesnt seem like its worth being the odd one out.  if every corner in maricopa had this, then maybe but if its just a few in the entire neighborhood, seems really risky.

rkp said:
basically, you are asking if its worth saving $10K to have a shared driveway.  i have to say absolutely not!  we wont even look at homes that have a shared driveway.  there is no curb appeal and it just looks odd.  the farthest house feels like a step child hidden in the back. 

$10K doesnt seem like its worth being the odd one out.  if every corner in maricopa had this, then maybe but if its just a few in the entire neighborhood, seems really risky.
RKP is right, a majority of my buyers who are looking at detached SFRs will not even consider a home that has a shared driveway.  The first thing is the curb appeal of the home is lower and second the possible issues with future neighbors that arise.  It would take way more than $10k of a discount for more people to buy a shared driveway home.

USCTrojanCPA said:
rkp said:

RKP is right, a majority of my buyers who are looking at detached SFRs will not even consider a home that has a shared driveway.  The first thing is the curb appeal of the home is lower and second the possible issues with future neighbors that arise.  It would take way more than $10k of a discount for more people to buy a shared driveway home.

Unless you buy both homes  :D  One for your in-law and one for you!

I feel like the in-laws would just add to the neighborly disputes...Maybe I'm just the oddball, but I kind of like the flag lot itself, especially since it bring 2 of the bedrooms off of the the street. Its just the shared driveway aspect that bothers me, but not from a neighbor dispute standpoint since the driveway runs in front of the two driveways rather than between the two houses...had it been a private driveway to the back lot like it is on 4 of the other 8 corners i think it would be better

homer_simpson said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
rkp said:

Unless you buy both homes  :D  One for your in-law and one for you!
That creates a whole new problem....in-laws living way too close.  :-X  :-\

What if the shared driveway (flag lot) is between just 2 homes like in the Cortona tract at Laguna Altura? The flag lot at the end gets a larger garden at the front of the house. Wouldn't that be a premium lot?

jamboreedude said:
What if the shared driveway (flag lot) is between just 2 homes like in the Cortona tract at Laguna Altura? The flag lot at the end gets a larger garden at the front of the house. Wouldn't that be a premium lot?

If I'm not mistaken Cortona and Maricopa are redundant floorplans by the same builder (slight variations ie the "tech space") , so I imagine that the shared driveway you are referring to would be similar to the one I am as well.  and yes, this has a larger lot and more space in front.  It seems like there are trade-off for either situation and at the end of the day is personal preference. 

it is personal preference and you should definitely do what suits you.  but from a buyer pool, it reduces the number of buyers interested and thereby reduces the price as well.  so if you are doing it to save $10K, i dont think its really worth it.  if you are doing it for added privacy, larger lot, etc, then you are fine.

i havent seen these but other shared driveways i have seen had the sidewalk not continue to the back houses and your guests walk up the shared driveway to your house.  its not about impressing or anything like that...its just weird to me and not preferred

also, i usually dont park in the garage nor on a driveway and prefer parking right in front of the house.  if you are like that, its a bit of a pain in the butt to feel like your house is far from the curb

rkp said:
also, i usually dont park in the garage nor on a driveway and prefer parking right in front of the house.  if you are like that, its a bit of a pain in the butt to feel like your house is far from the curb
Off topic but why don't you park in your garage or driveway?

irvinehomeowner said:
rkp said:
Off topic but why don't you park in your garage or driveway?

i have only experience 2 houses with garages in my life so it might change but first was my parents house in WLA which had only 1 car garage that was used as an office with a 2 car driveway.  there i parked on the driveway and our street was always full (mixed SFR and multi-unit building street) so driveway was the only option

at my in-laws house, they have the classic OC 3CWG and i hated the time it took to open it, close it (i cant hit the button and walk away, i need to see it close) so i never parked inside.  between the driveway and the curb, it was faster to walk from the curb to the front door (my spot was the furthest) so i just made it a habit of parking on streets and i like being able to jump in the car and just go

i imagine i will do the same when i own a garage and hence the flag lots dont seem to be a good idea for me

thedude111222 said:
jamboreedude said:

If I'm not mistaken Cortona and Maricopa are redundant floorplans by the same builder (slight variations ie the "tech space") , so I imagine that the shared driveway you are referring to would be similar to the one I am as well.  and yes, this has a larger lot and more space in front.  It seems like there are trade-off for either situation and at the end of the day is personal preference.

How many homes are on a shared driveway at Maricopa?

In LA Cortona, there are only 2 houses on the shared driveway, which is not too bad to me because it provides extra privacy, a larger front garden, with private parking area for the end home instead of curbside parking.

Exactly the same set up...two houses with the shared driveway, and the first driveway is almost directly off of the street...about 16' wide pathway. 

that doesnt sound that bad.  i was thinking 3 for some reason.  does the sidewalk connect to your front door or do you have to walk up the driveway?

and will the HOA allow you to park in that space in front of your driveway on the shared driveway? 

thedude111222 said:
Exactly the same set up...two houses with the shared driveway, and the first driveway is almost directly off of the street...about 16' wide pathway.

Yup, just like at Cortona.

Back