Marage JCC preschool vs. Westpark Montessori

Big Mi

Anyone have any feedback on the Marage JCC preschool program?  Trying to decide between Merage and Westpark Montessori. 

I can find some reviews on Westpark, but nothing out there on Marage.  We aren't Jewish, but (per the Admin Dir), about 30% of students at Merage are not Jewish.  Also, I actually like the idea that my son will learn about another culture.  I view that as a "plus".

I like the fact that Westpark goes up to 1st grade, if I choose to continue on there.  Merage only goes up to Transitional Kindy.  My son will turn 4 in August, so he *could* start Kindy in Sep 2014 but would be the youngest in the class.

The Merage facilities are amazeballs.  I'm also ok that they "force" you to join the Community Center.  We were going to join a fitness center anyway, so that's basically a financial wash.

Merage would be about $2500 more per year than Westpark.  We can make that work, but will have to tighten up on the disposable income "luxuries".  That is not an insignificant amount of money for us, but doesn't mean we'll be eating Top Ramen for every meal.  (Not that I have anything against Top Ramen...  ;) )

Anyway, like I said, it seems like Westpark is a solid preschool, but I would like to hear more personal experiences about Merage...

Thanks!!

Don't have any knowledge of JCC, but you can't go wrong with Westpark Montessori.  Same owner as 3 other sites in Irvine and have a good reputation.  They usually have a waitlist.  Did you have to wait to get into Westpark?

We've been on the Westpark waitlist since 2010, and they finally got to the 2010 aps this year...  The director let me know that they could accomodate my son starting in July if we wanted.  Thank goodness I got him on the waiting list when I did!  :p

Any recommendations for the specific preschool teachers at Westpark, for the 2.5-5 yo classes?  I've heard good things about Miss Ina...

We toured JCC and liked the facilities a lot. Some factors that led us elsewhere:

1) They have TVs in the rooms. They claim it is only for morning announcements, but ehhh
2) $$$
3) Less of a community feel to the place

With that said, the facilities are top notch and the location is easy if you take the 73 or live in Westpark.

We sent the kids next door to Mariner's Preschool. We are not in love with some aspects of the school (their snacks are not nutritious, it is VERY religious, still $$$) but the teachers there are very warm with the kids and the school has a nice community around it (parents talk to each other, everyone knows everyone). Most important thing - our kids are happy.

Yes, I toured Mariner's also.  It was the lease expensive of all the preschools in the area (although, that's not saying much since all the local schools are insane $$$$$$).

I didn't love Mariners.  I was ok with the religious aspect (we're agnostic).  Somehow the facilities did not impress me.  It seemed chaotic.

The food which is included in the Westpark Montessori tuition, while convenient for busy moms and dads, is not impressive either.  Lunch was being served when I toured the school.  The green beans looked pitiful: a sad, dull green, limp and mushy.  The entree was penee with a smattering of tomato sauce and white bread.  Massive amounts of refined carbs for lunch that day - which I'm sure the kids love eating.  Their menu is available online and looks like much of the same: lots of refined carbs and not much quality protein.  It's freshly prepared, but seems to be mostly from a can or the freezer. 

I think pretty much anytime you are trying to make school food on a large scale, the quality is going to suffer because it is going to be way too expensive to make it all from scratch with fresh "real" ingredients. 

@Big Mi

Did you end up at Westpark Montessori?  We also got called (or actually we called them and whoila.. we're up next!).  Like the kindergarten factor.. if my kid is not mature enough.. i'll keep her at Montessori kinder.. if she seems ok.. we'll go the kinder/cdc route.. More than likely we'll stay at Montessori's kinder.. not too sure of the CDC at my local elementary school..

I would stay at the Kinder in Montessori... it's a more consistent experience (same personnel in class and after class care).

CDC is bit sketchy, ours is okay... but having the big kids mixing with the Ks isn't really ideal.

Back