Managing Millennials

Liar Loan said:
Loco_local said:
I like the current crop of 70 year olds complaining about the protesters, saying they just want to enjoy their retirement years in peace and quiet, forgetting the chaos their generation created in the late 60s.  They say things like, can you believe the disrespect these kids show the president, completely obvious to how their peers reacted to Nixon.

I feel like time is going backwards right now.  Obama reminds me of Jimmy Carter, a likable guy but not as effective as people wanted.  Trump is now more like Nixon, has some good policies but his style is abrasive and paranoid.

peppy said:
Liar Loan said:
I looked it up for you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials
Millennials are sometimes referred to as "Echo Boomers" due to a major surge in birth rates in the 1980s and 1990s, and because Millennials are often the children of the Baby boomers.

You are right. I must have failed to realize that alll those millenials have parents born in the 40s and 50s. And I thought those were the grandparents ...

Mathematically, the Boomers have to be the majority of parents because Gen X is only half the size of the Millennials (40 million vs. 80 million).  There are some Millennials with older parents of the Silent Generation, and others with younger parents that are Gen X, but most of them came from Boomers.

The point I was trying to make is that the typical annoying millennial most likely has parents that are at best at the tail end of the boomers. Likely with parents that were born around the 70s. That's why I don't buy into the argument that boomer parents are to blame.

The initial rant is about someone that is 22 years old (born 1995ish) and another in their 20s. Assuming mean age of mother of 1st child at 25 that puts them as born ~1970.

Maybe all this ranting is not towards millennials but rather the generation after that (Z?).

SoCal said:
Can anyone here recommend a good source for info on managing millennials? This is a challenge I didn't expect to face.

I just purchased the book "Managing To Change The World" by Alison Green of the addicting website "Ask A Manager". Really looking forward to reading it since I've already gotten hooked on A.A.M. However, I don't think this topic is specifically covered in the book.

I'm not that much older than millennials, depending on whose definition you go with. I guess I'm right on the cusp of GenX & GenY. However, I'm seeing some very different attitudes and work ethic from those who are 15+ years younger than me where you're really getting deep into Millennial territory. The biggest problems I've seen: Not taking initiative. Lack of accountability. And just general laziness. My degree is in Business Management but this type of information was not something that was covered way back then. Suggestions are welcome.
Maybe this is a case of bad hiring vs an issue with millenials. Every younger generation is going to operate a little differently, but overall the ones I've managed and worked with are very strong. I think their bad rap is overdone.

What's in it for them?

Seriously.

For many of older ones on here, we either cut our teeth in consulting or some other firm where if the firm did well, we got something. For the consultants, it was charge or die. Charge well, do well, get good assignments and get ahead.  Get something to resume build and set yourself up for a ladder move in a couple years.

What's in it for the 'lazy' millenials?  Baby boomers that won't/can't retire.  Firms that have no career tracks left and if there is a career track its clogged with logjam of Gen-xers and boomers that are hanging on.  Company does well? Oh well, no incentive stock options for you, a joke of profit sharing and zero loyalty from company management.

So really, why should the millenials give a flying rat f*ck about the 'jobs' that are out there?

Go someplace where the millenials are given real opportunity, you'll see them busting their *ss. 

Millennials are entitled because they can afford to be. They have the luxury of not stressing about making a living because they know their parents or the government are obligated to support them. Millennials have no shame about watching their aging parents slaving away past normal retirement age to fund their quest for self-discovery. But this is not the millennials' fault, it is bad parenting on their parents part. Their parents taught their kids what the "experts" promoted instead of trusting their own experience and instincts. The way prior generations of Americans raised their kids which made the USA the wealthiest most technologically advanced country in the world... was, according to the experts, apparently all wrong. Remember, social science is not real science. A doctor of education is not a real doctor, just someone who spent a lot of time in school. Fear of starvation is a great motivator which millennials do not have.

nosuchreality said:
So really, why should the millenials give a flying rat f*ck about the 'jobs' that are out there?

Well, I would ask the 22 y.o. guy I ranted about back in February... the one who bragged about being a "good bull$hitter" and sleeping on the job... but he got himself fired a few weeks ago. He's no longer allowed on the property. It turns out insubordination isn't such a safe career move. Flipping out on a management representative (me) and making threats while working alone together at night turned out to be a very bad idea, indeed. Ironically, the very person in charge of my safety became the biggest threat to my safety. He's now suing his company for wrongful termination. Or so he claims. I'll believe that when I see it.

I have a fresh can of Mace on me now. Stun gun pending. I'm ready for the next guy.

Wait a min. I'm getting confused here.
Too many boys in the harem.  Hard to keep them straight.
So you're talking about the security guard?

SoCal said:
nosuchreality said:

Well, I would ask the 22 y.o. guy I ranted about back in February... the one who bragged about being a "good bull$hitter" and sleeping on the job... but he got himself fired a few weeks ago. He's no longer allowed on the property. It turns out insubordination isn't such a safe career move. Flipping out on a management representative (me) and making threats while working alone together at night turned out to be a very bad idea, indeed. Ironically, the very person in charge of my safety became the biggest threat to my safety. He's now suing his company for wrongful termination. Or so he claims. I'll believe that when I see it.

I have a fresh can of Mace on me now. Stun gun pending. I'm ready for the next guy.

Sorry that happened to you but you missed the point.  Why should he care if he's fired from the overnight security guard spot?  Okay eventually he won't get another meaningless job.

zubs said:
Wait a min. I'm getting confused here.
Too many boys in the harem.  Hard to keep them straight.
So you're talking about the security guard?

Yes, one of several security guards. The one mentioned here.

His behavior grew more erratic since then. This dude wrote the playbook on Crazy. I reported it a month earlier when it was affecting the job, but nobody would do anything about it. The client complained as well and still, nobody did anything. I don't think he's "normal", though. Everyone who has met him agrees there's something wrong with him - even people his own age. He's totally insufferable. Incorrigible with his own supervisor since Day 1, come to find out now.

More & more things kept happening until one night when it all came to a head. I needed him to go back and complete one of his duties which he had sloppily left incomplete once again (I didn't say it like that, though. I was neutral.) He angrily confronted me. He was breathing like a bull out of his flared nostrils and had a psycho, glazed look in his eyes. It almost seemed like an act, though. Like a 5 year old with a flair for the dramatic stomping his feet and putting on an over-rehearsed play for drama / attention. I thought when he walked away, that was the end of it. But 30 min. later, my phone rang. It was a creepy call like something out of a low-budget horror movie. He didn't state who he was, just started in with a weird, almost Shakespearean, speech followed by a barrage of insults towards me and thinly-veiled threats issued. The tone was so odd. He sounded like he was literally reading lines from a movie script with fake / disconnected emotions like some kind of sociopath, which I really think he is one. I thought about hanging up but decided to stay silent and listen to everything he had to say so I could allow him to hang himself with his own words.

I thought he might try to kill me. I didn't think he would succeed. But I thought he might come back and try. Luckily by that point, there were a few other people in the building near me. But as crazy as he is, I wasn't sure that would stop him. He's done inappropriate things in front of others before (foul language, abusing the property, blasting rave music, etc). As soon as he hung up on me, I called the person a couple levels above me at home and said I don't feel safe, I have kids, they need me more than you do, I'm not going to lose my life over this, I'm calling the police if this security guard comes back inside this building, and I won't be back. I waited until we closed (in hindsight, I wish I hadn't. They later thanked me for the tenacity to not run out the door immediately. Ugh. I really should have.) I asked those people to stay with me and walk me out to my car.

Now they take it seriously.  ::)

You don't want a managing millennials advice, you want a surviving a toxic workplace advice.

Unsurprisingly there's plenty of books on them.

I'm assuming this is the same guy you asked about a few months ago when I said put him on a PIP and good managers fire people needing firing.

Well, the company didn't do it did they and look where it ended up.

Back