Lot preference

1) 9000 sq ft view lot with neighbors on both sides
2) 14000 sq ft lot with neighbors on both sides but backs to a landscaped hill.

Yes there all all kinds of other lots but between these two which would you choose?  I may have such a decision coming up soon and would love to get some thoughts.

Oh yes let me add that the home plan is the same and the view lot is 200k more.

Which community is this?

Your view premium is $200k + lot size delta.

5k sqft lot delta is approx $500k-750k, depending which community it is....

The price for VIEW may vary depending on what kind of view it is....  Usually, a clear city view from the 1F would be $300k-600k....

Zippohunter said:
1) 9000 sq ft view lot with neighbors on both sides
2) 14000 sq ft lot with neighbors on both sides but backs to a landscaped hill.

Yes there all all kinds of other lots but between these two which would you choose?  I may have such a decision coming up soon and would love to get some thoughts.

Oh yes let me add that the home plan is the same and the view lot is 200k more.

View of what??

Wasn't that impressed with the views from Alta Vista.  Even the views from La Vita are spoiled by the apartments below.  View from HC is basically the Spectrum Target.

WTTCHMN said:
View of what??

It's been established that a view of IHO is worth more than $200k.

For the one with landscaped hill... what is on that hill? More homes? If not, I prefer the bigger lot with privacy for lower price but that depends on the view like WTT said.

irvinehomeowner said:
WTTCHMN said:
View of what??

For the one with landscaped hill... what is on that hill? More homes? If not, I prefer the bigger lot with privacy for lower price but that depends on the view like WTT said.

You are right I think the view lots may command more like 500k.

Alta Vista is above the hill but the sales staff say they are not or barely visible.  Their backyard setback is 40 feet and the hill is about 70 feet high itself and the slope is pretty steep.

My vote goes to the View Lot if you can afford it.  For resales later, view homes will always move faster during the up or down markets. 

I hate the hill lots because it's just bad Feng Shui.  Drain systems are good these days, but I don't like the fact that water will move down slope towards my home or who knows mud slides and the slopes are hard to maintain.  In my old neighborhood, a home (older home built in 80s) on a down slope always had flooding problem and they sued the HOA.  They got paid up but they had to move out and liquidate the home at a steep discount. 

btw, are you already thinking to trade up your Messina home? It's been about 2 years?  If you have kids, isn't it more convenient to walk to school instead of driving down from the Vistas?  But, Vistas will be a awesome neighborhood.  Good luck and let us know later=)

Zippohunter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
WTTCHMN said:
View of what??

Alta Vista is above the hill but the sales staff say they are not or barely visible.  Their backyard setback is 40 feet and the hill is about 70 feet high itself and the slope is pretty steep.

Are you trying to decide between buying a large lot bella now and waiting for a view lot in later phases? Or Bella now vs buying an Alta view lot available at the front on the community?

I've looked closely at both options and chose to pass on the bella large lots.

I really want a view lot mainly for the extra privacy of not having neighbors behind you. Also, the view lots available now maximize sun exposure. I really want a house with lots of natural light.

If you look at the bella large lots against the hill, you really don't get that much sun due to how the homes are oriented. That was a big minus for me. Also, backing against the large steep hill, you don't get see most of the natural topography of the neighborhood, which I think is a major selling point.

Rtlguru said:
Zippohunter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
WTTCHMN said:
View of what??

Are you trying to decide between buying a large lot bella now and waiting for a view lot in later phases? Or Bella now vs buying an Alta view lot available at the front on the community?

I've looked closely at both options and chose to pass on the bella large lots.

I really want a view lot mainly for the extra privacy of not having neighbors behind you. Also, the view lots available now maximize sun exposure. I really want a house with lots of natural light.

If you look at the bella large lots against the hill, you really don't get that much sun due to how the homes are oriented. That was a big minus for me. Also, backing against the large steep hill, you don't get see most of the natural topography of the neighborhood, which I think is a major selling point.

Yes exactly.  Buy large lot now or wait for later view within Bella Vista.  Alta Vista view lots available now don't have much of a view.  Not sure about the lack of sun light.  I think that is fine.  I agree that backing to a hill although private blocks any view of mountains.  Just afraid at how much the view lots will be several phases later.  I am leaning towards going after the big lot so I am not priced out later.

Was the 200k delta your guess on future view lots based on alta right now? Or were you told that by sales staff?

I would bet the view lots will be 200K-500K on the future bella lots depending on size and location. 200k will be lots 184-187 because you will not be much higher than the homes below you. The ones on the other side should be much higher.

They actually said 500K-1M for the ones higher up and on the other side but thought they were inflating just to get folks to buy now.  Could be 200K minimum I would guess but maybe you are right and it will be more like 300-500K.  If the premium is 500K I will not be buying which is why I am seriously leaning towards the big lot now and spend some money creating my own view for a lot less.  If done right it could be comparable (probably not as much) to a view lot in satisfaction for my family.

It really depends how you are going to utilize the bigger size lot. I know based on experience, many people want a bigger lot, but in reality, they rarely go to the yard.

Movingup said:
It really depends how you are going to utilize the bigger size lot. I know based on experience, many people want a bigger lot, but in reality, they rarely go to the yard.

We are outside all the time.  Covered outside kitchen, dining, living with fireplace.  Open dining, firepit, and pool.  Also a half covered jaccuzzi.  When guests come over we are almost always outside even in winter where we turn on the outside heaters.

New lot at Bella Vista will have more then this including an outside bar and bathroom.

Zippohunter said:
Movingup said:

We are outside all the time.  Covered outside kitchen, dining, living with fireplace.  Open dining, firepit, and pool.  Also a half covered jaccuzzi.  When guests come over we are almost always outside even in winter where we turn on the outside heaters.

New lot at Bella Vista will have more then this including an outside bar and bathroom.

imagine how nice your time outside would be with a view.

Zippohunter said:
Movingup said:

Good first world problem to have, congrats.
I think you can't go wrong.
I'd say even with lot size being rare in Irvine, view lots are probably more rare.  If you can swing it, go for the view lot...which is still great size so you can do all those outdoor touches you mentioned. Also you'd have to landscape 5000 sq ft less so you'd spend less on that part of it, to help bridge the gap.

dethman said:
Zippohunter said:
Movingup said:

imagine how nice your time outside would be with a view.

Hence the dilemma.  With or without view I need my outdoor spaces or movingup is right you won't use it.  But I guess that is why I like large lots, I build it out and use it.  14000 sq ft would be a dream for me.  I think 9000 sq ft and a view would be even better but it may be out of reach.  I guess it would not be the end of the world to wait and find out I cannot afford a view lot.  We like it fine where are as well.

If the view lot is at risk for possible future hillside erosion, I'd be hesitant. There are plenty of homes here in Orange County where that has happened. It could end up eating away at your yard and being expensive to fix. I'd look into how well it's reinforced before buying.

Is 9000 sqft going to be enough for you? While that does seem large by irvine standards, these homes have large footprints so you won't have a large backyard on the view lots.

You should take a look at the architectural plans to see if the yard will be large enough.

The alta vista view lots on 9k have only 20ft setback in the rear.

Rtlguru said:
Is 9000 sqft going to be enough for you? While that does seem large by irvine standards, these homes have large footprints so you won't have a large backyard on the view lots.

You should take a look at the architectural plans to see if the yard will be large enough.

The alta vista view lots on 9k have only 20ft setback in the rear.

Yes I looked.  It is 20 feet on the one side where the house sticks out but 40+ feet on the other side.

Back