Long time Irvine residents reaction to the exploding asian population?

IrvineOnTheWknds

Was just curious at the general reaction some of the long time non asian residents of Irvine have towards the growing number of asians moving into irvine.  As a Korean American who moved here from the Midwest, I'm shocked at the amount of asians in Irvine especially mandarin speaking mainland chinese immigrants who seem to be buying up all the new construction homes in irvine in cash.  Obviously Irvine is one of the safest cities in the US, as well as highest educated and tolerant, but I do understand that many are a bit uncomfortable with such a drastic change in demographics, especially if you grew up here all your life to suddenly witness such an influx of asian businesses and residents.  I guess if you like asian food you'd be happy, but I totally understand why some may be a bit wary of things changing so quickly, similar to Alhambra or Aracadia from 20 years ago to today, where it's almost as Chinese as Monterrey Park.

Growing up in rural Michigan of all places, I experienced a fair share of racism due to the auto industry being so central to many peoples lost occupations and under representation of asians in the state, but understand that ignorance and racism unfortuneatly exists everywhere if you look for it.  I'm happy to be here in CA and like many transplants, would never think of living anywhere else.  I guess asian american's obviously don't face as much blatant racism or discrimination as African americans and Hispanics, etc, but just thought I'd start this discussion out of mere curiosity. 

I can assume many don't appreciate that many of these new Irvine residents are bad drivers, or seem to only socialize with their own ethnicity, but obviously these are generalizations.  My main question since I'm not Chinese myself, is if this growing population will continue to arrive and further spur the new construction boom that's going on in irvine?  I totally get it, I mean, great schools, safe, perfect weather, and easier path to citizenship if they can come up with a sizeable US investment or start a business here etc.  Apologies for such a random and stream of consciousness post, but just wanted to see and read reactions.  Thanks.

IrvineOnTheWknds said:
  Was just curious at the general reaction some of the long time non asian residents of Irvine have towards the growing number of asians moving into irvine.  As a Korean American who moved here from the Midwest, I'm shocked at the amount of asians in Irvine especially mandarin speaking mainland chinese immigrants who seem to be buying up all the new construction homes in irvine in cash.  Obviously Irvine is one of the safest cities in the US, as well as highest educated and tolerant, but I do understand that many are a bit uncomfortable with such a drastic change in demographics, especially if you grew up here all your life to suddenly witness such an influx of asian businesses and residents.  I guess if you like asian food you'd be happy, but I totally understand why some may be a bit wary of things changing so quickly, similar to Alhambra or Aracadia from 20 years ago to today, where it's almost as Chinese as Monterrey Park.

Growing up in rural Michigan of all places, I experienced a fair share of racism due to the auto industry being so central to many peoples lost occupations and under representation of asians in the state, but understand that ignorance and racism unfortuneatly exists everywhere if you look for it.  I'm happy to be here in CA and like many transplants, would never think of living anywhere else.  I guess asian american's obviously don't face as much blatant racism or discrimination as African americans and Hispanics, etc, but just thought I'd start this discussion out of mere curiosity. 

I can assume many don't appreciate that many of these new Irvine residents are bad drivers, or seem to only socialize with their own ethnicity, but obviously these are generalizations.  My main question since I'm not Chinese myself, is if this growing population will continue to arrive and further spur the new construction boom that's going on in irvine?  I totally get it, I mean, great schools, safe, perfect weather, and easier path to citizenship if they can come up with a sizeable US investment or start a business here etc.  Apologies for such a random and stream of consciousness post, but just wanted to see and read reactions.  Thanks.

What type of reaction are you looking for? It is what it is.
For example, there are now more taco joints in South Central then before.

I'm not sure your aware, but the Chinese investment is everywhere. (US, Europe and Canada)

IrvineOnTheWknds said:

I think it's finally slowing down.  The new homes don't get gobbled up like they used to. 

The mainlanders do need to adapt more to American culture and manners. 

I think Irvine is unique that there are more English speaking asians then other asian cities like Monterey Park or Arcadia.  In those cities, there are a higher percentage of Asians who only speak in their native tongue. <--i just made that up

As melting pots go, Irvine > other asian cities.

With the influx of the new foreigners parking their money here, perhaps they picked Irvine over Arcadia because they want the best of both worlds. 

Monterey Park/Arcadia is like living in Asia...Irvine not as much.  However, Irvine is an Asian city....The mayor..what's his name again?

zubs said:
I think Irvine is unique that there are more English speaking asians then other asian cities like Monterey Park or Arcadia.  In those cities, there are a higher percentage of Asians who only speak in their native tongue. <--i just made that up

As melting pots go, Irvine > other asian cities.

With the influx of the new foreigners parking their money here, perhaps they picked Irvine over Arcadia because they want the best of both worlds. 

Monterey Park/Arcadia is like living in Asia...Irvine not as much.  However, Irvine is an Asian city....The mayor..what's his name again?

Some are fleeing Northwood Pointe.  Look at all those new listings by Mike Dunnhttps://www.redfin.com/city/9361/CA/Irvine/filter/max-days-on-market=1d

Irvine is becoming mainstream in China. A popular movie here that was recently released, Finding Mr. Right 2, has several scenes and mentions of the city of Irvine, and UCI. In the movie, there is a scene where the real estate agent is on a bus of Chinese looking to buy homes and touring them around Irvine telling them how it is one of the safest cities with great schools.

I'm not kidding. Go watch the movie for yourself.

As long as the area remains how it has been for the last 30 years that I've been in Irvine/Irvine area, then I could careless what the ethnic background of its residents are. If it turns into another Arcadia/Rowland heights type place though, I will definitely reconsider.

As much as TIC is derided, we should thank them for maintaining the character of neighborhoods. Having a master developer like TIC is a blessing.

On the commercial side, other developers which have to pay top dollar for land will need to maximize their investments. That means larger and denser apartment buildings with less room for non-revenue generating areas such as greenways and landscaping. For retail, too many stores and too little parking.

Going to a restaurant in SGV (well, the process of driving there and finding parking at least) is one of the most unpleasant experiences. Ugh...

Back