Little Black Millipede Worms

OHills

Has anyone else had problems with the small Millipede like black worms that seem to be so prevalent on walkways and sidewalks near the house, and if so what did you do to solve the problem? 

OMG I'm having the same issue! I never had this problem for 2 years in OH and now they just started showing up. WTF. It's only a problem when it rains but then there's all these little black worms dead in my california room, it's disgusting and we need to do a deep cleaning of the back. They have pesticides for worms but we didn't want that toxic stuff in the yard. So I got vinegar and salt for the dirt edges where they come out of the soil so don't know if that may work. I don't know how to get rid of them. People say worms are good for the garden but it's becoming a hisance. Let me know if you learn of any additional ideas..

Besides being visually unpleasant, what issues are these worms causing?  They're outside, you're inside.  Bees, wasps, black widows, termites, neighbors dog poop in driveway, slab leak, coyotes, ants, ants, and more ants.  The joys of homeownership.  If you're in a new development, all sorts of critters come out.  Remember they were there first, we just plopped a big stucco house on top of them.

If they are millipedes, they are attracted to moisture and leaf debris. 

mine don't look like millipedes, they are little black earth worms. They weren't there for 2 years and then just showed up this rainy season so this is a new problem. I thought it was related to my gardener putting fertilizer onto all the plants just before the rainy season.
I have a worm phobia so this is a big problem for me...it's been a phobia since childhood. I'll take any other rodent, even a coyote over these worms  :(

Ha!  Ok, this one brought me out of lurker land.

We had tons of tiny millipedes the first two winters at our new home in Portola Springs.  By the the third winter, they were gone.  Couldn't do anything other than sweep them up after they dried out and died.

Our whole tract also had issues with New House Bugs: http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/newhousebug.shtml

Not much we could do about those, either, but they were gone after the first year.

Sorry not to be of more help, but you are not alone.

we also live in OH and have a ton of these millipedes inside our house, especially the last few weeks after rain. they seem to love dying in the middle of our living room and curled up.

our biggest problem is the crickets, they used to just casually walk into our kitchen through the small crack under the french door.  we had one living underneath our kitchen cabinets for a month, we had to listen to it chirping all night for a month.

we called customer service and they helped us change to a tighter seal around the french door and that helped, but we still occasionally get these bloody crickets just hopping around our kitchen and living room.  it's the worst.

tdg said:
our biggest problem is the crickets, they used to just casually walk into our kitchen through the small crack under the french door.  we had one living underneath our kitchen cabinets for a month, we had to listen to it chirping all night for a month.

we called customer service and they helped us change to a tighter seal around the french door and that helped, but we still occasionally get these bloody crickets just hopping around our kitchen and living room.  it's the worst.

I miss the sound of crickets.

Start a new business and sell them to your neighbors.
https://www.amazon.com/Insects-Sampler-Crickets-Larvets-Chocolate/dp/B00BISXQBI

tdg said:
we also live in OH and have a ton of these millipedes inside our house, especially the last few weeks after rain. they seem to love dying in the middle of our living room and curled up.

Thank you for making me feel better because at least these suckers are not inside my house. I would freak out! We had a lot of "new house bugs" as well so were forced to sign on with a exterminator company. But the worms are something they could not help with. Apparently they are beneficial for the yard. But I poured vinegar and salt along the plant line in the backyard before the last rain and that seemed to have worked. there were much fewer of them.

I live in Eastwood and am having TONS of these worms everywhere inside the house! Much worse than finding them on your sidewalk... :(

Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing: the ones in my house have hard shells and are always curled up dead when I find them, and I see them all over the house. When I try to pick them up, they crumble into many pieces.

Is this what you guys are experiencing? I have no idea where they come from. Sometimes I'd find them in very tall bins/shelves when I clearly know even an hour ago they weren't there. Almost seems like they drop out of the ceiling.

irvinetabby said:
I live in Eastwood and am having TONS of these worms everywhere inside the house! Much worse than finding them on your sidewalk... :(

Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing: the ones in my house have hard shells and are always curled up dead when I find them, and I see them all over the house. When I try to pick them up, they crumble into many pieces.

Is this what you guys are experiencing? I have no idea where they come from. Sometimes I'd find them in very tall bins/shelves when I clearly know even an hour ago they weren't there. Almost seems like they drop out of the ceiling.

Mine are actually black small earth worms, so slimy guys. But I find none including ones you describe nside my house. You should sign up with a exterminator. It sounds horrifying! My earth worm problem has improved significantly after I put salt along the plant line in the back before the rains. Hope it continues to work.

Back