Laurel at Cypress Village

Laurel/CV prices have gone up. They are at Phase 11 now. Here is the latest price sheet.

Attachments

• Laurel Phase 11 price 4-12-15.docx
    19.5 KB · Views: 458
Hello,

I am deciding between Laurel in CV versus Ellwood in Beacon Park.  They are almost done at Phase 16. Here's the latest price sheets. what do you guys think?

Attachments

• Laurel Phase 16 Price Sheet--8-22-15.docx
    17.4 KB · Views: 255
I love the modern architecture of Ellwood, but I'd pick Laurel because you own the land. With Ellwood it's a detached condo.

irv81 said:
Hello,

I am deciding between Laurel in CV versus Ellwood in Beacon Park.  They are almost done at Phase 16. Here's the latest price sheets. what do you guys think?

Are they about the same price?

I would pick Laurel.  SFR > detach condo period.

Ellwood is very good but it's still a detach condo.  Also the higher HOA and MR don't help either. 

Laurel located at favorable part of CV, further away from the I-5 and it's right next to the park and the elementary school.  Laurel is the last SFR available in CV,  don't wait too long before it's all gone. 

Which plans are you considering in each?  When I first read this, I thought laurel immediately.

toady13 said:
I love the modern architecture of Ellwood, but I'd pick Laurel because you own the land. With Ellwood it's a detached condo.

You still own the land in a detached condo except for the mineral rights (i.e if oil is found, it belongs to the builder).

Comparing those two communities is like comparing a loaded BMW 545 series to a Benz C-class.  Ellwood starts high 700s and Laurel starts at 1 mil.  I must be missing something.  Even with Plan 3, that starts at low to mid 800s.  It should be more of the lines of comparing Jasmine with Ellwood.

toady13 said:

FranchisePlr said:
Comparing those two communities is like comparing a loaded BMW 545 series to a Benz C-class.  Ellwood starts high 700s and Laurel starts at 1 mil.  I must be missing something.  Even with Plan 3, that starts at low to mid 800s.  It should be more of the lines of comparing Jasmine with Ellwood.

toady13 said:

Good comparison.

I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be a lot of love for Laurel. Yeah, the ceilings are a foot lower than Strada, but they aren't 8 ft ceilings either. Laurel's also cheaper than Strada, and has lower HOAs and a better school district. In any event, and though they may exist, I'm not not sure what other new homes you can buy in Irvine at that price point that have their own driveway and no motor court. Even Magnolia, which was just as expensive if not more than Laurel, uses a motor court. Laurel just seems like a nice in-between for someone who wants the SFR with no motorcourt, but doesn't have the extra $100k or so to move "up" to Orchard Hills.

I liked Laurel and the location, while near the freeway, is convenient (and just as flat as anywhere non OH from a track perspective) so from a pure land perspective, pretty much on par with the rest of Irvine. The downfall to Laurel is while they do have a lot of cul de sac streets and a shocking number of homes with privacy (e.g., no one behind them), they also have on average, the smallest yards in a SFR that I've ever seen. It is beyond pathetic. 

I know their were some exceptions but my gawd, I don't know how anyone could plop down $1M and stare at a wall all day long. I think on the average yard in Laurel, you couldn't even set a patio table out back. However, with young kids, you have convenience of two schools (and very good ones at that) near by and prices are fair relative to other new home tracts in Irvine.

Laurel plan 3 is relatively efficient, 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, you have a bit of a study area, decent family room, etc. Extremely efficient use of space. It basically hits my bottom line of scale of what I absolutely need in the next home purchase. Ideally you'd want a little bigger home with the extra bath (each room with its own bath is nice when the kids get older, especially if you have a girl and boy) and the loft area could be a bit bigger (but, bottom line it has one, which is a requirement in my eyes as I want a nice area kids can study / play upstairs, that isn't in their room) and ensures that the family / great room isn't filled with junk (kids can obviously also study on kitchen islands these days too, but to me it is so nice to have that upstairs loft / bonus room). 

viobruin said:
FranchisePlr said:

toady13 said:

Good comparison.

I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be a lot of love for Laurel. Yeah, the ceilings are a foot lower than Strada, but they aren't 8 ft ceilings either. Laurel's also cheaper than Strada, and has lower HOAs and a better school district. In any event, and though they may exist, I'm not not sure what other new homes you can buy in Irvine at that price point that have their own driveway and no motor court. Even Magnolia, which was just as expensive if not more than Laurel, uses a motor court. Laurel just seems like a nice in-between for someone who wants the SFR with no motorcourt, but doesn't have the extra $100k or so to move "up" to Orchard Hills.

Strada's HOAs are $196. How much lower are Laurel's HOAs? I believe less than a third of Strada homes are within the TUSD boundary, and the remaining in IUSD (not to perpetuate the myth that the three IUSD schools are better than the three TUSD schools).

viobruin said:
I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be a lot of love for Laurel.
Not just Laurel, there's not a lot of love for many of CV's product here on TI.  However,  the sales figure said otherwise. 

I guess Laurel and many other CV's home are more of a value oriented product  and appears more bland compare to others from BP, OH and Stonegate. 

Perspective said:
Strada's HOAs are $196. How much lower are Laurel's HOAs?
Currently Laurel's HOA is $125/month. :)

We liked Laurel. The floorplans are nearly identical to Strada. I visited a few times, mainly to determine how audible the freeway was from the neighborhood. The price difference forced us to consider it, but the lack of a backyard was a dealbreaker.

i decided to go with Laurel, which is basically almost sold out.  To me, Laurel made the most sense in terms of location, price, practicality.  Huge Backyard was unimportant to me as I do not have children and maintaining it would be too much hassle, plus i don't think OH has much more of a backyard.  I think the california room is enough for me.  I was able to get a lot without back or front neighbor in the cul the de sac, which I am happy about.

Ellwood is very cool design.  Really like visiting the home.  It seemed like an enticing price at ~850k listing but then you add MR with 2% yearly increase, the fact that the model home is heavily upgraded (200k+, without knowing what the upgrades vs standard were), 40k rooftop terrace, location by cemetary and superfund, motorcourt, detached condo...  to me, just didn't add up.

viobruin said:
FranchisePlr said:

toady13 said:

Haters gon' hate. Don't let them bring you down viobruin-- Laurel is the best bang for the buck in CV. That said, GO BRUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good comparison.

Perspective said:
viobruin said:
FranchisePlr said:

toady13 said:

Good comparison.

Strada's HOAs are $196. How much lower are Laurel's HOAs? I believe less than a third of Strada homes are within the TUSD boundary, and the remaining in IUSD (not to perpetuate the myth that the three IUSD schools are better than the three TUSD schools).

Laurel's HOAs are proposed to be $129 at buildout. Not sure what the HOAs are before buildout, but I remember looking at the sales office and remembering that they weren't too much more than the $129. Whether it's $129 or a bit more, having only to pay 1 HOA with Irvine Pacific picking up the rest is a nice bonus (not sure if it's the same at Strada, but I presume it is since it's also an Irvine Pacific home).

Perspective said:
We liked Laurel. The floorplans are nearly identical to Strada. I visited a few times, mainly to determine how audible the freeway was from the neighborhood. The price difference forced us to consider it, but the lack of a backyard was a dealbreaker.

Makes a lot of sense. I think that in pretty much every way other than price (and arguably school district if you're in TUSD), Strada is a better product than Laurel for sure.

I ended up at Laurel and the backyard is indeed pathetic. The only "saving grace" is that with the elementary school right across the street, there is an open field and park you can walk to within 45 seconds of the community.

Are backyards at other new home developments at the same price point in Irvine large? From what I recall, none of them were really big enough to truly be able to run around, throw the football, play catch, etc.

viobruin said:
Are backyards at other new home developments at the same price point in Irvine large? From what I recall, none of them were really big enough to truly be able to run around, throw the football, play catch, etc.

Visited a few of the high end model homes in Beacon Park and the backyard even for the $1.3+ million is not that large.

Run around - yes...in circles
Throw a football - yes...5 yard routes

I mean it's all relative right?  If you are looking to train the next Matt Barkley in your backyard, then irvine is probably not the place for you.

LongIrvine said:
Fairly certain that Juniper, Torrey, Silvermist etc. are 65 wide with 20-40 ft setbacks on avg lot size of +7k feet.

Sounds awesome. I think those are a few $100k more than Laurel/Strada, though, so I would hope that you'd get a bigger yard for that kind of dough.

Back