Landscaping Recommendations

For mid-century modern, I'd contact Jo of Echo Family to take a look at his portfolio. I ended up using him after seeing his work at 51 Quarter Horse. You can probably still find some photos online. The hardscaping was exactly what we wanted (polished concrete, floating bench, etc). My yard is tiny and he made it look larger than it is.

dethman said:
would love to see completed projects and costs, though people tend to be shy about that information.  have a new yard to landscape.

Why are people shy about this info?  Sharing will only help everyone get better price transparency and improve the quality and bids for buyers. 

The issue we had with Jefferson Rand was the size of the built-in BBQ.  They never told us standard size is 8 feet so when it was built, it looked really small so they made us pay more for a bigger BBQ.

rkp said:
dethman said:
would love to see completed projects and costs, though people tend to be shy about that information.  have a new yard to landscape.

Why are people shy about this info?  Sharing will only help everyone get better price transparency and improve the quality and bids for buyers.

Newbie here, had been lurking around here for months but never posted. Got tons of useful information, thanks TI.

I am also looking for landscaping work for my backyard in a new construction, went through pretty much all the threads in regards to this here. Knowing there could be tons of factors that could affect the total cost for landscaping work, some pictures and cost spent on completed yards will definitely help as I don't see much of these get posted.

Considering a ~4000sq ft lot, concrete and synthetic grass combo, water wall feature, patio cover, plantation all around the perimeter wall, and all the basic necessity like lighting and irrigation. What's the average starting cost I should be looking at?  Before we even consider upgraded materials like travertine and such which I know all will add to the cost.

smalllots said:
rkp said:
dethman said:

Newbie here, had been lurking around here for months but never posted. Got tons of useful information, thanks TI.

I am also looking for landscaping work for my backyard in a new construction, went through pretty much all the threads in regards to this here. Knowing there could be tons of factors that could affect the total cost for landscaping work, some pictures and cost spent on completed yards will definitely help as I don't see much of these get posted.

Considering a ~4000sq ft lot, concrete and synthetic grass combo, water wall feature, patio cover, plantation all around the perimeter wall, and all the basic necessity like lighting and irrigation. What's the average starting cost I should be looking at?  Before we even consider upgraded materials like travertine and such which I know all will add to the cost.

You're looking at $20K minimum, and depending on the details, as much as $35K. Be careful with water features. The sound of water falling can be annoying to you, but more importantly your neighbors.

Perspective said:
smalllots said:
rkp said:
dethman said:

You're looking at $20K minimum, and depending on the details, as much as $35K. Be careful with water features. The sound of water falling can be annoying to you, but more importantly your neighbors.

There was a funny thread on my nextdoor about this. Someone posted about their neighbor harassing them over their water feature. The neighbor was obviously in the same nextdoor circle and saw the post. Complained about how loud the fountain was and how the HOA made the two neighbors go in to mediation, etc and they still couldn't resolve it. You could tell they were still angry at each other. You don't want to create this mess for yourself.

Go with the OG TI favorite JOJO @ Echo family.

How is that guy doing anyway?  After he posted here, he dropped off the map.

Amen!

Can we please get some photos and estimate costs? It would be super helpful especially for a new homeowner. My yard is the typical small Irvine yard so I'm trying to get an idea of something simple yet tasteful. ONly a handful on Houzz and I'm on there all the time

leect said:
Amen!

Can we please get some photos and estimate costs? It would be super helpful especially for a new homeowner. My yard is the typical small Irvine yard so I'm trying to get an idea of something simple yet tasteful. ONly a handful on Houzz and I'm on there all the time

If you haven't noticed people don't post pictures due to potential stocking or something like that.

eyephone said:
leect said:
Amen!

If you haven't noticed people don't post pictures due to potential stocking or something like that.

interesting thanks for the headsup

Surprised nobody has talked about Sean of Savanascapes.  He's finishing this Friday or Sat for my backyard and I have nothing but good things to say.  He came very competitively priced, used superior materials and was very easy to get a hold of throughout the whole process (the design submission, during constructions, miscellaneous questions I had before/during the process).

If OP or others would like to swing by to take a look at my backyard they're more than welcome, just PM me.

fduzer said:
Surprised nobody has talked about Sean of Savanascapes.  He's finishing this Friday or Sat for my backyard and I have nothing but good things to say.  He came very competitively priced, used superior materials and was very easy to get a hold of throughout the whole process (the design submission, during constructions, miscellaneous questions I had before/during the process).

If OP or others would like to swing by to take a look at my backyard they're more than welcome, just PM me.

haha. funny you should mention him. I'm actually using him too for our landscaping in ORchard Hills. Spoke to 5 different landscapers and he came at the cheapest price and was the easiest to work with. Just put the deposit down so we will see what happens.

I also wanted to add a vote of confidence for Sean Romero. He is quite popular in the Orchard Hills area due to the high quality of his work. He did not force a design on me, rather he asked what I had in mind and gave professional suggestions along the way based on his 20 years experience. Best of all he is such a nice guy that I know I can trust, I felt that he was always doing the right thing.

Back