Landscaping for a Woodbury SFR

Irvine2Irvine said:
PPBABA said:
Seem like I'm the oldest Trojan here  ???

Just bought at Carmel and stumbled upon this forum... a lot of nice folks here and many of the threads are very educational and informative, and some are just very entertaining  :D

A lot of great advice from everyone regarding the landscaping.. I will definitely have to do some shopping around. Anyone have a reputable landscaping company they can recommend?? Seem like with the builder, the minimum for front and back yard is around 40K...

I am not sure if I ever said it on this forum but I am a Trojan too.  Actually, I am wearing a Trojan T-shirt in Hawaii (on vacation) at this very moment.  I am in early 40's, if you are wondering.  Maybe we can have a Woodbury SC game day party or something.
Didn't know you were a Trojan as well.  I'm in my mid-30s.  So would you invite over a fellow Trojan who lives over in Oak Creek to join the Woodbury Trojan gameday party?  :)

PPBABA said:
How much would be a reasonable amount to spend on the landscaping (hardscape + softscape) on a Woodbury home with a 4XXX sq ft lot??

20K? 30K? 50K?

Trying to see how much budget we have to set aside :)

So now that people have propbably been in the home for a while what is everyone's experience with landscaping.  I'm particularly interested in what people spent to landscpe tradtional SFR (i.e. carmel, sonoma or a SFR in portola springs).  Thanks in advance.

nytransplant said:
PPBABA said:
How much would be a reasonable amount to spend on the landscaping (hardscape + softscape) on a Woodbury home with a 4XXX sq ft lot??

20K? 30K? 50K?

Trying to see how much budget we have to set aside :)

So now that people have propbably been in the home for a while what is everyone's experience with landscaping.  I'm particularly interested in what people spent to landscpe tradtional SFR (i.e. carmel, sonoma or a SFR in portola springs).  Thanks in advance.

20-30k is what they will sell you on. 

irvinehomeowner said:
Paging mikeirvine...

But he spent more than your average bear... I think he built a second house in his backyard.
Well if you have a wife who's got a lot of cash then why not.  I'm still waiting for Mike to let me know if his wive has a cute, single sister. 

USCTrojanCPA
No sister, She has a younger brother .... young, handsome and getting marry end of this year. My wife is nice and priceless, hope you find someone nice soon.

IrvineHHomeowner
You are right, I'm not a bear just a simple man that has a few dollars to spend on a small yard and house. I built something very special in my small Backyard ..... l love the view of my backyard. That is the best part of my house ..... Smile smile smile.

I think 20k to 30K is reasonable for a decent front and backyard LS. Do what you like within your budget, there are a lot of LS done for you to compare. Don't rush make sure the prices include plants, lights and everything is listed on paper and the design get approved.

Mike

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Paging mikeirvine...

But he spent more than your average bear... I think he built a second house in his backyard.
Well if you have a wife who's got a lot of cash then why not.  I'm still waiting for Mike to let me know if his wive has a cute, single sister. 

Buena Vista Landscape Design and Maintenance, Inc. - Aaron Garcia - did my last few homes and each time came in lower than the other bids and did a stellar job.

mikeirvine said:
I built something very special in my small Backyard ..... l love the view of my backyard. That is the best part of my house ..... Smile smile smile.
Stop teasing us... show us already.

Is it a 2-story dog house? Your own pocket park playground? An infinity pool? A miniature replication of Las Vegas built with Legos?

The curiosity is killing my cat.

20k - 30k is a reasonable budget for most Woodbury homes.  We are currently working on a project in Woodbury and the lot has about 1,500 square feet of landscape area.  We are design a large bubbling water feature, modern pavers in the rear yard, several mature trees, planting, brass light fixtures, irrigation, citrus in pots, add accent paving to the driveway and front entrance pathway, and pottery with succulents and can get it all done within that budget using our Landscape Contractor we have worked with for years.  We actually did the Conceptual Plan for free which gave the client the ability to compare the plan with the dozens of contractors that offer up their services in the area. 

If you're interested in a free Landscape Concept Plan and a bid for your Woodbury home just give us a call, 949 829-3746 and we would be happy to setup a time to meet.  www.studioh-inc.com .  We are licensed Landscape Architects and would never offer free design if we were not so sure that you would love your plan and sign a contract with our contractor.  We get paid our design fees from the contractor but it doesn't cost you anything extra. 

As always, I'm more than happy to offer up ANY free advice on unit prices or design to our friends on this forum, just ask!

what do you mean by modern pavers?  I need to redo all the patio area- the length of my backyard is over 75 feet.  We were looking at (if i recall correctly) Stonepro?- they have a modular small paver that is very modern.  But then we looked at Belgard products and found a modernish one that was larger.  I don't like the Tuscan look and my house is more mid-century modern, so I was wondering what you were referring to when saying modern pavers.

Mid-Century Modern is my personal favorite design style, perhaps you have an Eichler home in Orange? By "Modern Pavers" I was referring to a paver that isn't the traditional style pavers that we see in most projects, in realty, maybe they are more Contemporary.  Here are a few "Modern" pavers that I like.
http://www.stepstoneinc.com/narrow_pavers.htmhttp://www.stepstoneinc.com/photospaver.htmhttp://www.tiletechpavers.com/Home.htmlhttp://blog.garden-nz.co.nz/stevenson/veneto-tiles.html

I think the Stepstone product is the best.  It has the cleanest lines and best finish.  The narrow pavers are great. I'm hoping there will be more modern paver choices coming out shortly as just a few years ago there really wasn't anything other than the stepstone square paver. 

Hope this helps! Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Studio H- thanks for your reply.  Yes- that's the one we were looking at- Stepstone's modular paver.  But then we were thinking that installing that might be very $$$ because the pavers are so small.  We saw another paver by the same company, Hermosa? that wasn't too Tuscan looking.  We were thinking the larger pavers would be less labor intensive to install.  Am i assuming correctly?  Would I be saving a lot more by not doing the other paver?

IHO- I'd like to know the price difference too. 

I had a landscape architect draw us a plan and we are very happy with it.  Normally he just does the plan, but he also said they can do design+build.  I got the estimates and it was very expensive (but we are doing a lot- trees, driveway, walkways, etc). 

On my quote that i have, I have approx. 1100 sq feet of Integral Color Concrete Paving for my backyard which comes out to around $14,500.  What would be the approx cost if it were pavers?

Good afternoon everyone.  There seem to be a lot of questions about paver costs so let me see if I can answer those.  Pavers actually can be less expensive than colored concrete.  Generally, colored concrete will cost about $10/sf, this used to be $12-$13/sf but has dropped with the economy.  There are some colors, such as the darker ones, which require more color and the cost can go up to $11/sf.  If someone bids much lower than this there is a catch, such as not spacing the rebar correctly, pouring a low quality concrete, not compacting the base correctly, and so on.  There are a lot of contractors cutting corners these days.  Regarding the bid of $14,500 for 1,100 sf of colored concrete, this is a bit on the high side, seeing as there is no concrete removal the price should be a bit less.  I am glad to hear you hired a landscape architect to prepare your plans though.  Also, perhaps the colored concrete has a detail score cut finish, this could explain the higher price.  Also, perhaps the contractor is using a higher PSI concrete to reduce cracking.  I feel a light or medium release sand blast or acid wash finish will give you the best results. 

In response to the Stepstone narrow modular paver, this should not increase the cost as pavers go down very quick.  there is more cutting at the edges but really this should only be maybe $1/sf more at most.  Actually, the square pavers by stepstone I believe need to be set on a raised platform with rubberized pads, which is a more expensive installation method.  I believe the narrow modules go on a sand base which is quicker.  The narrow pavers probably should costs around $13-$14/sf, but I haven't priced those recently. The square pavers could costs a bit more depending on how they are installed.  I would get the paver you are most happy with and not worry too much about the additional costs as you will have to live with this for many years to come.  Both pavers are a good clean look.

Pavers will costs anywhere from $7 - $13 / sf, with some high-end ones costing a bit more.  Most pavers fall in the $10-$12/sf range.  Plain concrete with a broom finish will cost about $7-$8/sf while a colored concrete with a sandblast finish will cost $10- $11/sf.  Concrete is a nice clean look and you can add some interesting sawcut scoring patters, additional costs of maybe $1-$2/sf.  Pavers offer a lot of flexibility as they can be replaced if a glass of wine is spilled on them or changes need to be made to the underground utilities.

Any other questions I can answer?

Studio H-
Thanks so much for your reply.  You are right- this is an investment that we will be living with for a long time.  We know that it will be more expensive, but hopefully longer lasting, to have the pavers.  Thanks also for the info on the installation of those various pavers.  I didn't know that some don't go down on sand. 

I think my quote was a little high- what was worse though was the cost of the demolition in my opinion.  To prepare the backyard and to remove our very ugly concrete pavers the previous owner put it was over $4000.

Thanks again!

abcd1234,  You're very welcome, happy to help.  Just an FYI, demo of existing hardscape should cost about $1.50/sf , large trees might be $500 - $1,000 each.  The dump charges are actually fairly expensive and is a large part of demo costs. 

Back