Lakers News

qwerty said:
i wonder if that gets to kobe, it has too.  it is even worse than being picked last on a team, he didnt even get picked.

Rings

Kobe: 5
Dwight: 0
Pau: 2
Lebron: 2
Carmelo: 0
Chris P: 0

I wouldn't say Kobe never got picked. He good have failed at forcing Charlotte to trade him and have 0 rings to this day.

So basically Lakers will be rebuilding for 2 or 3 more years.

Maybe when Kobe's contract expires, CP3 will move across the hall (actually not until 2017) and LBJ will want to live the Hollywood life after being home for 3 years.

It's sad that Purple&Gold's ability to attract free agents isn't what it used to be.

Seriously, if they hired Phil over D'Antoni, Dwight may have stayed and they would have been able to sign other free agents. Instead we get Linjury, Swaggy P-Shooter, Dreadlocks, OldManNash and Kobchilles. With Pau gone... who is going to wear the big boy pants at center? Sacre?

I think as it stands, the starting 5 is:

Lin PG
Kobe SG
Swaggy SF
Randle PF
Hill C

Looks like a lottery lineup to me.

Laker's problem is they are so lacking in assets such as young talent and draft picks, while a 36 year old Kobe is coming off two major injuries with cap killing salary of 20+ million.

lost Dwight for nothing; lost Gasol for nothing; mortgaged the future for Nash who is all but broken down.

Because of lack of picks and Kobe's contract, the best thing front office can do now is to make business/financial moves, not basketball moves.

With Kobe and Lin, the ticket and jersey sales will be healthy; at least the Buss family can pocket pretty handsomely.

For Lakers to come back, it will take at least 3-5 years before they can replenish their young talent pool.

The California Court Company said:
Laker's problem is they are so lacking in assets such as young talent and draft picks, while a 36 year old Kobe is coming off two major injuries with cap killing salary of 20+ million.

lost Dwight for nothing; lost Gasol for nothing; mortgaged the future for Nash who is all but broken down.

Because of lack of picks and Kobe's contract, the best thing front office can do now is to make business/financial moves, not basketball moves.

With Kobe and Lin, the ticket and jersey sales will be healthy; at least the Buss family can pocket pretty handsomely.

For Lakers to come back, it will take at least 3-5 years before they can replenish their young talent pool.

True. Ultimately each team can only play 5 guys at a time so there is a chance that the Lakers will make the playoffs especially if Kobe can stay healthy.

the lakers are not making the playoffs. ill be surprised if kobe plays 60 games. even if he plays 82, they still arent making the playoffs, who do they knockout?

1 - spurs
2 - thunder
3 - clippers
4 - rockets
5 - warriors
6 - portland
7  - dallas
8 - memphis

the suns were over .500 and the Twolves were almost .500

qwerty said:
the lakers are not making the playoffs. ill be surprised if kobe plays 60 games. even if he plays 82, they still arent making the playoffs, who do they knockout?

1 - spurs
2 - thunder
3 - clippers
4 - rockets
5 - warriors
6 - portland
7  - dallas
8 - memphis

Has Kobe every missed the playoffs when he's played 60+ games?

Surprise teams make the playoffs every season. Any of the above teams could have a star player get injured. Every team is getting older and almost every team has changed their starting line-up.

If sports were so predictable, why even play the games? When the Angels signed Pujols everyone thought they'd be awesome and so far they haven't even made the playoffs. It looks like they'll finally turn it around this season.

paperboyNC said:
qwerty said:

1 - spurs
2 - thunder
3 - clippers
4 - rockets
5 - warriors
6 - portland
7  - dallas
8 - memphis

Has Kobe every missed the playoffs when he's played 60+ games?

Surprise teams make the playoffs every season. Any of the above teams could have a star player get injured. Every team is getting older and almost every team has changed their starting line-up.

If sports were so predictable, why even play the games? When the Angels signed Pujols everyone thought they'd be awesome and so far they haven't even made the playoffs. It looks like they'll finally turn it around this season.

kobe has missed the playoffs.  and i thought the angels were idiots for giving pujols that deal. you were in the minority thinking they would be awesome. at best they would 3 good years, they havent even gotten that. 

just say this out loud, Kobe, Lin, Hill, swaggy p,  - no bench, not making playoffs.

Hearing about how Duncan and Dirk are taking smaller contracts just irritates me about Kobe.

One of the reasons why LBJ doesn't take max money is because he knows that he makes much more outside the NBA. And so does Kobe... so why does Kobe think he should get paid so much and make it hard on the team's payroll? He makes probably more than most other NBA players (or even other sports) with outside endorsements so why not give the Lakers a break in their salary cap to recruit more talent?

Why is it the players responsibility to take less money?  If the owners cared about winning then they should remove the salary cap. It appears the owners, most of whom are billionaires and have other businesses outside of the nba, care more about making money. Sterling just got $2B, Phil Jackson makes $12m/year. Why don't the owners and management take less, remove the cap and try to win. Let the market set the payrolls.

Would you take less money at your job now so your coworker can make more?  Or for management  to make more money? Doubt it. The players have 8-12 years if park earnings years. They need to maximize those earnings not concern themselves with what fans think about them crippling salary caps. Go complain to the owners to loosen the purse strings.

WTTCMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Hearing about how Duncan and Dirk are taking smaller contracts just irritates me about Kobe.

One of the reasons why LBJ doesn't take max money is because he knows that he makes much more outside the NBA. And so does Kobe... so why does Kobe think he should get paid so much and make it hard on the team's payroll? He makes probably more than most other NBA players (or even other sports) with outside endorsements so why not give the Lakers a break in their salary cap to recruit more talent?

But why should the onerous be on the players to "take less"? The owners are raking it in.  Plus sterling just for two billion for the clippers. And a new tv deal is coming up. The owners should step it up and stop raping the players union.  The players only have a limited window to make money so in this fight of millionaires versus billionaires, imma side with the underdogs. Plus Kobe has like 10 houses. 3 in one neighborhood alone. How much do you think it costs to upgrade his cabinets and flooring?

I think you meant "onus." 

qwerty said:
Why is it the players responsibility to take less money?  If the owners cared about winning then they should remove the salary cap. It appears the owners, most of whom are billionaires and have other businesses outside of the nba, care more about making money. Sterling just got $2B, Phil Jackson makes $12m/year. Why don't the owners and management take less, remove the cap and try to win. Let the market set the payrolls.
The CBA is what the players and the owners agree upon... it's not just the owners who set the cap. The cap was done to prevent large market teams from hording all the high salary players from small market teams like in baseball.

And I'm not saying all players should do that, but certain players who are interested in attracting free agents should recognize the limitations of the salary cap and adjust accordingly, especially if you have outside income that exceeds what the team pays you anyways. I understand the idea of getting all you can from your employer, but if I were making money outside my employer, I wouldn't put my fellow employees or my employer in a tougher position by demanding a higher salary.
Would you take less money at your job now so your coworker can make more?  Or for management  to make more money? Doubt it.
Actually... yes. But maybe that's why I'm still a 99%er. Every year we've had bonuses, upper management tells me what goes to who... and every year I've reduced mine to give more to other employees.
The players have 8-12 years if park earnings years. They need to maximize those earnings not concern themselves with what fans think about them crippling salary caps. Go complain to the owners to loosen the purse strings.
Again... this only applies to certain players. It doesn't matter to me how many cabinet upgrades Kobe has to pay for, he needs to understand that it's more than just him getting paid, he's been paid, higher than most other players in the NBA, but the team is also his value and with the Lakers being as bad as they are, it reflects on him and his brand. If the Lakers were winning, playoff bound and a trophy contender, that would make his endorsements even higher.

But this is why most other players don't like Kobe and everyone respects Duncan and Dirk. Basketball is still a "team" sport, so it's nice to see other players putting team ahead of money.

Back