Laguna Altura in 2011

Noma said:
Did anybody notice that all the sales reps were tall, thin blonds?  Just an observation.  :D

No but I noticed some on the women inside the homes looked completely bored and disinterested with their arms crossed.  I guess they figure they don't need to do any selling and were probably wondering why they were wasting their Sunday on such a gorgeous day.

USCTrojanCPA said:
shadax said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
shadax said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
shadax said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
I think that since Laguna Altura is elevated above the 405 and 133 it is "nicer" than Portola since you can see the toll road from Portola. 
That's what I said. So you kind of answered your own question.
USC said:
How would you feel if Portola was elevated above the 241 while the 405 and the 133 were above Laguna Altura and you could see them from LA?
I still think the LA area is nicer but then again, I prefer the southern part of Irvine. If the 241 was not as obtrusive, PS prices might be higher (as they were during the bubble).

Let's use a closer comparison... would you buy a Los Colinas for $1m+ or a Cortona for $1m+?
If I was looking to buy that size of a home and I wanted something new, I would select Los Colinas over Cortona.  Part of the reason I like Portola is that it's the only village priced for potential future appreciation (when it's finally all built out).  LA is priced for perfection kind of like a momo stock like Netflix.

You keep saying that, I'm curious as to why you think so? 
Because that's what I believe.  It's based upon the pricing levels for me.  Once the dust settles on all these newer villages, it's hard for me believe that Woodbury and Stonegate will trade at a 10-15% premium price compared to Portola Springs.  Unlike others who just talk, I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is.  ;)

Do you consider PS' location at all inferior to SG/WB, if only marginally?  I know they're fairly close to one another.
I consider them to be equal...positive for Portola is that is is less dense with some elevation offset by the negative of being near the told road.

To the people who will be using the 5 Freeway in their daily commute, wouldn't living on the Jeffrey side of WB (like, say, Carmel) be superior compared to having to take Sand Canyon all the way down?

I guess another thing I would watch for when the dust settles is how long it takes to get to the 5 from PS on weekdays at 7-9 a.m.
So then Orchard Hills should also have some kind of discount from Northpark/Northwood since it will take longer from there to get to the 5 freeway?  Why does Turtle Ridge trade at a higher price than Quail Hill since it is a good distance away from the 405 and you have to deal with all the UCI/Uni High traffic going up Culver to the get to the 405?  Your logic is a bit flawed.

I suppose it would, if you consider PS to possess superior qualities similar to each of the villages you just mentioned.  I guess that's where we differ, as I do not consider PS to be the WB/SG's answer to OH/TR.  To each their own, though.

I find it interesting that many of you who toured mentioned road noise from the 133. 

on a weekend afternoon!  were there a lot of motorcycles running down the 133?  or the big trucks that go through (usually weekdays?)

what do you think it will be like M-F?  7am-9am?  4pm-8pm?

And you really couldn't hear the traffic from the el toro Y?

freedomcm said:
I find it interesting that many of you who toured mentioned road noise from the 133. 

on a weekend afternoon!  were there a lot of motorcycles running down the 133?  or the big trucks that go through (usually weekdays?)

what do you think it will be like M-F?  7am-9am?  4pm-8pm?

And you really couldn't hear the traffic from the el toro Y?
Or the 405 which has 100+ times the traffic that the 133 has?

I was sort of looking forward to Orchard Hills but after seeing LA--not so much. I know it may be another 1-2 years away but TIC/iPAC's version of luxury living is hollow. The prices in LA are sure luxury but not the execution and amenities.

They are cost cutting across all their newer communities but it is especially painful when you are paying such a high premium for basically the same floor plans as other villages. I wouldn't be shocked if iPAC simply recycled the same floor plans from LA into OH in a few years... wash, rinse, repeat.

iacrenter said:
I was sort of looking forward to Orchard Hills but after seeing LA--not so much. I know it may be another 1-2 years away but TIC/iPAC's version of luxury living is hollow. The prices in LA are sure luxury but not the execution and amenities.

They are cost cutting across all their newer communities but it is especially painful when you are paying such a high premium for basically the same floor plans as other villages. I wouldn't be shocked if iPAC simply recycled the same floor plans from LA into OH in a few years... wash, rinse, repeat.

Considering fire hazard and summer heat in valley, I prefer hidden canyon over LA.

does TIC count stairs and garage areas in their total square footage?. I sure do not feel like these are the SF they claim they compared to similar non TIC homes.

Chitown said:
does TIC count stairs and garage areas in their total square footage?. I sure do not feel like these are the SF they claim they compared to similar non TIC homes.
Garage space is not counted but stairs are counted in the SF of a home.

freedomcm said:
were there a lot of motorcycles running down the 133?  or the big trucks that go through (usually weekdays?)
That's what I was telling the Mrs. when we were in the Cortona models because you can totally see the 133 from the master bedroom. She was saying that she couldn't hear anything... and I was telling her to wait until a motorcycle or a truck came by to which her response was that they don't use the 133 that often.

I looked in her eyes... the new model home glaze had set in.  :'(

Starlight East said:
irvinehomeowner said:
That's what I was telling the Mrs. when we were in the Cortona models because you can totally see the 133 from the master bedroom.
That's actually a nice view.
All kidding aside... that's exactly what she said.

That's when I knew that TIC put something in the air systems in the shuttle buses. I had a cold so I was immune somewhat.

Drove past LA on Sunday. At 4:00 there still were quite a few cars in the temporary parking lot.

Curious on the noise issue, was that inside the homes, or only when you stepped outside? If it's inside the home TIC has got a pretty big problem to solve.

Wait until Summer comes and you get that stream of out-lander's heading down the 133 at all hours.

Re: Portola Springs traffic down Sand Canyon - doesn't anyone take the toll road to bypass SC?

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People.

This past weekend we went and viewed these models.

Things I liked:
1. The San Remo models had a very efficient use of space. That said, they were exceedingly small for my needs.
2. The community was very well-landscaped, esp the entrance gate area.
3. For the rather small lot sizes, the backyards seemed to be useful in general for what you're getting.

Things I didn't like:
1. The models were so similarly layed out. For example, there's practically no difference between the San Remo floorplans. That's the main thing I kept hearing other people saying while walking the models.
2. The layouts in general were uninspiring. Seriously, the only one I'd consider would be plan 3 of Toscana, and the main thing I liked about that model was the suite in back on the first floor. All the others were very generic.
3. The fact that Irvine Pacific has all these homes in other developments. Plan 3 of Toscana is the San Marino in Woodbury. Is this what we have to look forward to from Irvine Pacific? The same houses in every single development. This wouldn't be a problem if there was something great about the layouts, but there isn't.

Part of my problem is that I measure everything against Plan 1 at Alta in San Clemente by Standard Pacific Homes. A truly inspired design. I'd buy that floorplan today if it wasn't so far south. Just hoping for something similar in the Irvine area.

I'll still probably hold out for Orchard Hills. But upsetting that The Irvine Company plans on increasingly using their subsidiary Irvine Pacific and the fact that Irvine Pacific keeps giving us these stale floorplans.

"I'll still probably hold out for Orchard Hills. But upsetting that The Irvine Company plans on increasingly using their subsidiary Irvine Pacific and the fact that Irvine Pacific keeps giving us these stale floorplans."

Yes, I am unhappy about the recycled floor plan as well.  It is pure laziness and arrogance on TIC's part...

What's up with the fake grass that they are using in the backyards?  Kind of cheapens the $1million homes.

for houses with 2500+ sq ft, why is the Great room concept still being recycled?
At least for myself, for 1 million+ houses, the backyard sure looks small.

Noma said:
What's up with the fake grass that they are using in the backyards?  Kind of cheapens the $1million homes.

That's because they're selling you a $680,000 home for $1,000,000.

IndieDev said:
Noma said:

That's because they're selling you a $680,000 home for $1,000,000.

Do you have anything to sell to the TI board?  Car, houses, etc?  I like your valuation of goods. 

The main entry gate wasn't cheap. Rather impressive. Yet pretty slow to open. Don't know if anyone noticed but it took roughly 20 seconds for it to open. Imagine the waiting "single" lanes of cars coming from both inner roads in the morning once the 600 units are occupied. Add that to the long commute to Uni High or Rancho.

Back