Laguna Altura - builder

enchanted

Back in 2003 through 2006, my friend and I visited model homes almost every weekend.  She was looking for a second home (investment) and I was looking to upgrade.  One thing we both learned was that several builders (Taylor Woodrow/Morrison, Standard Pacific, John Laing/Laing Luxury) consistently built better quality homes for around the same prices as other builders.  In fact, in one model home built by another builder, we saw splintered wood and nails poking through in many places when we looked underneath the granite countertop.  My friend and I both questioned if the island was built correctly and if it would hold up the heavy granite.
I never did find my dream upgrade home so I was extremely excited to hear about this new Laguna Altura community.  However, I was deeply disappointed when I found out that none of the four neighborhoods would be built by builders (Taylor Morrison and Standard Pacific) I admired.  I was further disappointed when I read about the location issues with this community.  I am now looking forward to the other community that is coming up in this general area but I was wondering if, like Laguna Altura, all the homes will be built by IP.  Also for those that have seen these model homes by IP, has anyone seen any workmanship/quality issues?

Go buy a Carmel in Woodbury, the builder is the new home company - essentially the same people as Laing.  Nice homes at a nice price...

My plan is that the next home I purchase will be the last home I own.  With that in mind, one of my requirements is that the home be in a gated community so that I can grow old with the peace of mind that I have the added security.  It was the one reason I passed on Woodbury, then Portola Springs, and the others.  Does anyone know if there is an upcoming community aside from Laguna Altura that will be in a gated community and away from the main freeways and toll roads? 

enchanted said:
My plan is that the next home I purchase will be the last home I own.  With that in mind, one of my requirements is that the home be in a gated community so that I can grow old with the peace of mind that I have the added security.  It was the one reason I passed on Woodbury, then Portola Springs, and the others.  Does anyone know if there is an upcoming community aside from Laguna Altura that will be in a gated community and away from the main freeways and toll roads? 

Next set of gated communities in Irvine:

1) Lambert Ranch (next to PS and some parts near 241)http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php?topic=1261.0
Initial community drawings show a guard gated community.

2) Orchard Hills (some parts are along the 261)
Not sure if all parts will be gated but the initial phase appears to have guard gates similar to LA & Northpark.

Enchanted.. I can totally understand you and IHO when you say this... Moving sucks and is probably the most degrading waste of a time for a man to do. Although my new 4000 sq/ft gated SFR out of state is nowhere near the same scale as the gated community you are looking at, I hope to never move and live in my new home until my kids leave for college.

That is one clear negative I see about living in Irvine... you are constantly forced to upgrade to a bigger home as your family grows. Also with the multimillion dollar homes in Newport Coast and TRidge, Turtle Rock..  a man may never be content with the home he has. That is just my humble opinion.

Just curious what kind of square footage or price range are you looking for in this gated community.

What price do you guys think Orchard Hills and Lambert Range will range for their 2800 sq/ft - 4000 sq/ft products?

enchanted said:

Noma said:
IP does not build the homes, they only sell it and service them. Tripointe is one of the builders.
For Woodbury, that was the case.

But for Stonegate and Laguna Altura, isn't IP the primary builder (although they probably all use the same sub-contractors)?

irvinehomeowner said:
Noma said:
IP does not build the homes, they only sell it and service them. Tripointe is one of the builders.
For Woodbury, that was the case.

But for Stonegate and Laguna Altura, isn't IP the primary builder (although they probably all use the same sub-contractors)?

as far as i know, Irvine Pacific is my builder (san mateo)... my cousin who bought a California Pacific home in WB pretty much has the same appliances, a/c, water heater, etc, as mine, and his service rep was the guy as i got.

villagepeople said:
as far as i know, Irvine Pacific is my builder (san mateo)... my cousin who bought a California Pacific home in WB pretty much have the same appliances, ac, water heater, etc, and his service rep was the guy as i got.
CalPac = IrvPac

Which is a problem when it comes to their home designs. CalPac primarily built smaller homes... so when they built these bigger ones they just expanded the floorplans without adding the additional rooms/areas the extra footage provided.

Panda said:
Enchanted.. I can totally understand you and IHO when you say this... Moving sucks and is probably the most degrading waste of a time for a man to do. Although my new 4000 sq/ft gated SFR out of state is nowhere near the same scale as the gated community you are looking at, I hope to never move and live in my new home until my kids leave for college.

That is one clear negative I see about living in Irvine... you are constantly forced to upgrade to a bigger home as your family grows. Also with the multimillion dollar homes in Newport Coast and TRidge, Turtle Rock..  a man may never be content with the home he has. That is just my humble opinion.

Just curious what kind of square footage or price range are you looking for in this gated community.

What price do you guys think Orchard Hills and Lambert Range will range for their 2800 sq/ft - 4000 sq/ft products?

enchanted said:

When I started looking several years ago, I was searching for a home somewhere in the ~2800 sq/ft.  However in the last year or so, I have been debating about a smaller place and buying a second home out of the area.  Another preference that cropped up this last year is that I would like to be more west, closer to the 405 and that area but not on top of the freeway.

Back