King Chops (Irvine)

Drools... i ate this religiously growing up (the one at chungxiao intersection across from benetton/cashbox)... brings back some good memories :)

fluffy said:
Drools... i ate this religiously growing up (the one at chungxiao intersection across from benetton/cashbox)... brings back some good memories :)

Oh, if you're referring to Zhongxiao East Road (????), my grandparents used to live there.

The restaurant is owned by the same family (3rd generation) from Taiwan.  However I heard they had sold their restaurants in Taiwan, so only the two restaurants in the US are ran by the original family.

It doesn't taste quite the same because it's different pork, but good enough.  They also sell a light soup base beef noodle.

momopi said:
fluffy said:

Oh, if you're referring to Zhongxiao East Road (????), my grandparents used to live there.

Stayed on Zhongxiao East Road last time I was in Taipei.  Conveniently located near Fuxing st for me to walk to get my taiwanese breakfast across the street from the fire station.

My grandparents sold their place on Zhongxiao East Road and moved back to Shilin, near the former Chiang Kai-Shek residence (????) that's now a park.  Unfortunately many of the old vendors at Shilin night market have since retired and I couldn't find the old marinated snack stand anymore.

I may head back to Taipei around April after a short stop in Tokyo, to say goodbye to the Tsukiji fish market.  That bastard Ishihara forced them to move and make room for 2020 Olympics, may he be cast down to the bottom level of hell filled with rotting fish guts for eternity.

yeah, ur right lol... the porks different but still good, im just happy i get a taste of my childhood since i rarely go back now... i havent tried the beef noodle soup yet though...

didnt know they sold the restaurants back in taiwan D''': ...

ugh, dont even mention the old shilin snacks... my old favorite was the bag of ?? small crab claws... couldnt find that anymore... man, could eat that while watching soup opera all day... sniff...

now i just need ??? or ?? to come to irvine and ill be in heaven hahaha

lol have a good trip!

fluffy said:
ugh, dont even mention the old shilin snacks... my old favorite was the bag of ?? small crab claws... couldnt find that anymore... man, could eat that while watching soup opera all day... sniff...

Liuhe Night Market (????) in Kaoshiung has crab claws, though I cannot guarentee the taste/flavor.  I think this is the hotel where I stayed at last time that was within walking distance (not certain, you might want to double check):http://www.kindness-hotel.com.tw/main_14.asphttp://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/六合夜市

fluffy said:
lol...  git off mah lawn!  erl git mah gun~

If you have an itchy trigger finger, I have a bag of tokens from Prado Olympic Shooting Park's trap/skeet range (Chino).  They're cheaper than Triple B Clays in Whittier.

haha its cool, thanks for the offer tho... im just messing around... think i only went to the shooting range 3 times in my entire life lol

Finally made it here, got their #1 pork chop rice and #7(?) chicken curry rice.  Pork chop was very good, rice should have had some chopped sour mustard cabbage to make it taste better.  The curry was not very good - it had too much of one particular spice and that ruined it for me.  Will try their #2 chicken leg rice next time.

Thumbs up from the ps9 family.  Thanks to momopi's TW pics, gotta get my TW food on today.  The #2 dried noodle pork chop is the dish to get here.  Price is steep at $9 and you don't get much chops.  But the flavor is there and nostalgic.  Wanted to do the Kobe buffet thing today but got sidelined by the mediocre yelps and wife vetoed it.  Ended up here and glad we did.  Looked over at neighboring tables and seems like the #1 pork chop rice comes with broccoli and a tofu/bean curd thing.  Wished my dried noodles came with those.  They offered free iced green tea with each meal.  Bathroom is in a weird location, usually the door does NOT face the dining area.  Also decor is very barebones, walls can use some chinese scrolls, menus, pics of food, etc.

Back