Junk fooding

irvinehomeowner said:
Does the DQ in the Marketplace sell them? They look like the Red Robin corn dog type ones which isn't how they are served in Wisconsin.

Heeheehee. Not sure why but every time I read that part, and it's been, oh, about a dozen times now, it literally makes me chuckle. "That's not how they are served in Wisconsin!" haha. Uh-oh, not like Wisconsin, ooh, we can't have that! Boy, you sure are midwestern for a MexiFilinese guy, huh, Iho. You're whiter than me, huh.

Ok, now this is getting weird.

McDonald's unveils burger with a gray bun in China

AAfARzA.img

On a side note...  GD Bros merged with El Toro Burger.  I'm not sure what that means.  Did the food trucks get new menu items?  Did the restaurant get new menu items?  What items are no longer?

Lately, we've been getting really fed up with the bad customer service, poor quality food, and increasing prices at your typical fast food and take-out joints. I think most couples struggle to come up with an answer when they ask each other: "What sounds good?" It's a lot of "uh" and "um" and, "I don't know. What sounds good to you?" or simply saying, "Nothing sounds good." So, we sat down and came up with a "shit list", for lack of a better word, pardon my French. Places that are an absolute NO due to increasingly worse experiences to the point where it is no longer acceptable, not even worth thinking about. We figured that would help streamline the process.

In the meantime, I have two new hobbies. Aside from cold rise artisan bread baking, I like looking at Copy Cat recipes online. They are plentiful. This way, if there is anything you really like from a certain spot, you don't have to put up with them. You can just make it yourself. Then there is really nothing to miss. Last night, I made Panda Express copycat noodles. It was pretty close. Not exact but close enough. I also found a copy cat for Wendy's chocolate frosty. We shall see.

SoCal said:
Lately, we've been getting really fed up with the bad customer service, poor quality food, and increasing prices at your typical fast food and take-out joints. I think most couples struggle to come up with an answer when they ask each other: "What sounds good?" It's a lot of "uh" and "um" and, "I don't know. What sounds good to you?" or simply saying, "Nothing sounds good." So, we sat down and came up with a "shit list", for lack of a better word, pardon my French. Places that are an absolute NO due to increasingly worse experiences to the point where it is no longer acceptable, not even worth thinking about. We figured that would help streamline the process.
The ps9 NoGo list:
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,13005.0.html

I had my first pho today. What the "phu"... I went for the Oxtail. When I open up my Amish-Asian restaurant, BobaSchnitzel, maybe I'll add this Flyswatter Soup to the menu.

I came close to trying boba for the first time as well, since I was already there, but didn't want to push it too far.

Qwerty! Paging Qwerty!! Red Alert!!! Please pick up the bat phone!

"Saved from wrecking ball: Taco Bell to relocate original 1962 Downey food stand to Irvine"

taco-bell-455x350.jpg

Caption: An early photo of the walk-up window food stand at 7126 Firestone Blvd. in Downey. Taco Bell plans to save the "Numero Uno" restaurant from demolition by relocating it to Irvine on Thursday night.

Taco Bell is saving its first fast-food restaurant from the wrecking ball by relocating the iconic 400-square-foot food stand from Downey to its corporate headquarters in Irvine.

?This is arguably the most important restaurant in our company?s history,? said Taco Bell Chief executive Brian Niccol. ?When we heard about the chance of it being demolished, we had to step in. We owe that to our fans; we owe that to Glen Bell.?

Earlier this year, new development for the vacant Firestone Boulevard site triggered demolition plans for the nostalgic building, dubbed ?Numero Uno.? An uproar in the community followed. Taco Bell remained relatively quiet, though it did encourage the #SaveTacoBell campaign on social media.

Behind the scenes, however, the chain had been scheming for months to save the walk-up structure, famous for its adobe-style archways.

The structure's 45-mile overnight journey begins Thursday at 10:30 p.m. It should garner much attention as it traverses the cities of Downey, Norwalk, Cerritos, La Palma, Buena Park, Anaheim, Orange and Tustin. Throughout the four to five hour trip, Taco Bell is encouraging fans to follow the historic relocation via a live webcam.

The bedazzled structure will be visible as it is trucked through parts of Los Angeles and Orange counties, the company said: ?We?re lighting this thing like the Fourth of July.?

Taco Bell founder Glen Bell opened the Downey restaurant in 1962. The walk-up window was surrounded by shops, live music and fire pits. Glen Bell wanted the Taco Bell to look as if it was selling authentic tacos, thus early buildings sported slump stone, arches and tan brick to resemble an adobe house. Most of these early Taco Bell structures have been converted to other uses.

Taco Bell eventually scrapped the look because it needed to build locations with drive-throughs. The Downey restaurant, at 7126 Firestone Blvd., closed as a Taco Bell in 1986. Since then the site has been home to various taqueria shops. It?s been vacant since December 2014.

Long Beach-based We Are The Next, a preservation group, has been working with Taco Bell on the relocation effort.

?This building isn't designed by a famous architect, and it's not particularly beautiful in the conventional sense. But it does demonstrate how even the most ordinary buildings can tell tremendous stories,? said Katie Rispoli, the preservation group?s executive director.

Taco Bell said the building will remain at its headquarters for storage until its future use is determined.

Marisa Thalberg, chief brand engagement officer, said the fast-food chain will turn to social media to ask fans what the company should do with the building.

?This isn?t a decision that should be made in a boardroom, but a social experience that can allow our biggest fans to truly be a part of Taco Bell history,? Thalberg said.

Bell, along with Ray Kroc of McDonald?s, Carl Karcher of Carl?s Jr. and Harry Snyder of In-N-Out Burger, are considered fast-food pioneers. Their innovative takeout counters and drive-throughs catered to the growing Southern California car culture.

Taco Bell isn?t the only fast-food brand looking to honor its past.

In early 2014, Southern California institution In-N-Out Burger unveiled a 100-square-foot replica of its first burger stand. The Baldwin Park food stand opened in 1948 and was later demolished when the (10) Freeway was built.

Preservationist Rispoli said by saving structures like the first Taco Bell in Downey, ?we hope to set a precedent and demonstrate the great power that can come from unexpected histories in seemingly-ordinary places.?

Contact the writer: nluna@ocregister.com and follow the Fast Food Maven on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

D03B5931-80D3-4A15-8E51-A959BB999A53_zpsn0kaveez.png

JITB Jalape?o bacon breakfast burrito..... Droooool.....perfect munch food while driving to work.  B1G1 coupon with Tuesday's grocery ads.

I saw that the other at jib and have been resisting since. Not sure how much longer I can hold out

That looks good.  I'll eat jalape?o anything.  My go to order at JITB is jalape?o poppers + curly fries.  Basically my college diet.  Luckily I only do that like once every 6 months.

I like Chik Fil A's breakfast burrito. Probably my favorite fast food breakfast (I haven't tried taco bell's) and I don't eat a ton of fast food.  I'm probably biased as Chik Fil A is my favorite fast food place (but it definitely isn't the cheapest place).  Sausage McMuffin and the McDonalds breakfast burrito rank distance 2nd and 3rd. 

But that Jalapeno burrito looks fantastic.  Would probably kill my stomach like most (i.e., McDonalds) fast food does within 3 hours, haha. 

Beware of Wendy's @ Red Hill & El Camino Real in Tustin!

Mr. SoCal ate there for lunch last week. He got violently ill from their chicken wrap! Scary. After eating it, he was dizzy and nauseous. Wasn't sure he could drive home without pulling over to throw up. Could barely walk. I put him to bed. He was shivering. Took his temp. Fever. Then he threw up sooo much & so hard. I was scared! Then after he was done throwing up, it was like a switch flipped. All better!  :eek: By the next morning, fever was gone. What a quick turn-around. It took another day to eat normally again and a couple days for the rib pain to go away from hurling. He had to miss work over Wendy's chicken. ugh. Never going back there again.

Back