Johns Creek Homes and Real Estate

Johns Creek is a good choice if one is not limited by weather, job or family tie. The physical attributes to quality of life are just outstanding. On the other hand, irvine residents living with exponentially less in Real estates and more in cost feel the social components make up for the luxury of space and scenery.

No Quarter said:
If the goal is to figure out where the Asians high paying jobs will settle, you have to look to where the engineering jobs are.  Keep in mind that English is a tough obstacle for many folks in China or other countries to master (e.g. hold people-facing roles in management or sales).  However, the rules of math work the same in any language.

Of course there are Asian doctors in many communities with much less diversity than CA, but to get the critical mass that they have in Irvine or DC or the SF bay area, they would prefer to be in an area with other Asians.

Is that the reason why you are in Irvine because of the Asians?

Closed on June 28th, 2013. Doctor Tenant moved in July 1st, 2013. I am never going to make it this tight again as it caused a lot of stress. At the end, everything worked out.

Baby Irvine said:
20radyb.jpg

Glad to see you back on TI.  I always enjoyed reading your posts about Atlanta. 

No Quarter, you win the award for most Youtube posts.  Can you start to embed them though? haha

@NQ - are these clips all from the  mental rolodex?

Free and Clear Mortgage Debt for income and appreciation

Every one needs to have blue print real estate investing strategy, All of my initial purchases involved leveraged acquisition of quality assets. Then I will follow an aggressive paying down debt to produce maximum cashflow at retirement starting from the highest interest rate mortgage first. But as crucial as smart leverage can be to the investing success of some investors following my strategy, it is not required or necessary. At its very essence, my Blueprint is the road map from where you currently are to where you are trying to go at the end of your investment horizon. So in that spirit, the right investment strategy for you is determined and shaped by your current financial situation. For instance, an investor with limited capital will follow a very different path to retirement than another investor with a large enough capital base to generate sufficient debt-free income to retire tomorrow.

Next, let?s take a deeper look into the main reasons and motivations that push some real estate investors to the path of debt free real estate investing for income and appreciation.

Risk aversion to debt

Most investors that make the choice to avoid leverage completely do so to avoid the perceived risk that debt inevitably adds to their portfolio. And it does not matter that the added risk is usually accompanied by a higher, leveraged return on investment. A very conservative investor is content with a lower rate of return if they can avoid the risk of financing. They view leverage not as a temporary tool to grow your capital base in a shorter amount of time but as a fatal risk that could bring the whole thing down. And often they have the time and/or the patience to build their wealth at a slower pace as long as it?s done within their risk comfort zone. This isn?t neither right nor wrong ? every investor should operate within ?comfortable? risk and return levels. In the end, it does not matter how good is the return on your investment if you perceive it so risky that you can?t sleep at night.

Lack of access to investment property financing

The investor that sidesteps debt due to this reason does so out of necessity, not choice. Take as an illustration a 58 year old teacher that takes early retirement and has some liquid capital to invest. He gets a pension every month but it?s not enough to fully retire. And also it?s not enough to qualify for financing on an investment property. In this case, the only available option to this investor would be an all cash strategy to increase his monthly income through some well placed real estate investments. Another example would be that of a newly minted entrepreneur that just ditched his corporate shackles with plenty of capital to invest but with no regular 9-5 income to qualify for financing.

Lack of need for financing

In this case, the investor already has a large enough capital base that the unleveraged yield on that capital is sufficient to provide the income she?s seeking. File this under, ?good problem to have?. Say you have an investor that has $1.5M in liquid capital to invest and they?re trying to create an income stream of $120k per year. This investor has no need to leverage that capital further ? she could purchase $1.5M in paid off real estate and reach her desired income right away.
Lack of necessary time

One critical ingredient in the utilization of leverage as a tool to grow one?s capital base is time. Without sufficient time to execute a proper debt pay off, leveraging your capital is simply risk for the sake of risk. You should only take calculated risks if you have a) an exact idea on how to eradicate that risk as soon as possible and b) sufficient time to carry out that idea. As an example, take a 65 year old investor that needed to retire last Friday at 11:30 ? he just doesn?t have the time to execute a plan that involves the undertaking and paying off of leverage. The only option left is to use the capital that he has accumulated and generate the highest yield possible on quality asset(s).

The numbers

Now that we figured out some of the reasons why an investor would choose (or be forced down) the path of all cash real estate investing, let?s take a look at some of the numbers. Since the investor is not utilizing leverage, her return comes from exactly two places: Yield on capital and Appreciation. Yield on capital sounds like a big ten dollar term right out of a finance textbook but it?s actually pretty simple. If I purchase a property all cash for $140k, and after paying all operating expenses I have $11.5k in cashflow left over at the end of the year, my yield on my invested capital for the year is 8.2% (11.5k/140k). It would be the same as you going to the bank to open a CD where you put $140k and the bank pays you $11.5k in interest at the end of the year. Except that your banker would think you are on something if you asked for an 8.2% return these days! Depending on the relationship between the acquisition price and the incoming rent of the asset you acquire, your yield on capital on free and clear investment properties will vary from 7-9% annually.

On the lower end of that spectrum, you will find premium properties in highly desirable locations that are in high demand ? which results in higher acquisition prices and lower yield. The higher end yield will come from more standard properties in good locations. But here?s where it gets interesting ? the properties that produce lower yields have a higher potential for appreciation than their counterparts. So when it?s said and done, opting for a premium property at a lower yield may end up giving you a higher overall return. But in the end, it all comes down to the needs of the investor: If the investor is mostly concerned with income, the higher appreciation may not matter as they may never sell the property to realize it. Otherwise, if they?re just opting for an all cash strategy to avoid risk, going for higher quality assets may result in higher returns and lower risks over time ? a pretty rare combination.

Last but not least, cash is still King ? a generous monarch that at times allows an investor the patience to pursue and negotiate bargains on quality properties. This could be a dual boost to returns: 1) It would allow the investor to acquire the same income stream for a lower purchase price therefore increasing her yield and 2) the built in equity captured at purchase can act as instantaneous ?appreciation? that can be tapped later. The challenge with pursuing bargains is to never lose sight of the quality of the asset you are purchasing. An inferior asset at a great price is not a quality asset. So as long as property standards aren?t compromised, patient chasing of good deals is the recommended route.

Press the YouTube Icon above the  :) and then "youtube"    (insert link here)    "/youtube"  (but with brackets) will pop up and then just copy and paste the link as shown prior.

Baby Irvine said:
Cubic... only if you knew...

The Indians in Johns Creek are the Chinese in Irvine. I think 99.99% of my clients are all indians. I have no idea where they get their money... but they are loaded.

Cubic Zirconia said:
No John's Creek, but Alpharetta is getting a lot of promotion among Indian community...
http://www.nripulse.com/a-passage-to-alphapuram/

?Indian families like brand new houses, rather than buying a used home. Since most new home constructions were in the GA-400 corridor, it was natural for Indian Americans to relocate to the Alpharetta area,? observes Dr. L.S. Narsi Narasimhan, Co-Founder and CEO, Paalam, Inc. He believes that the economic growth of the Indian Americans over the years is reflective of this shift. ?Indian Americans have become more affluent over the past 20 plus years. Thus, they favor more and more the affluent neighborhoods of GA-400 corridor over the older neighborhoods of DeKalb. GA-400 corridor is the home of most high-tech companies like HP and IBM. Most high paying jobs are along the GA-400 corridor,? says Dr Narasimhan.
I thought you were going to focus on listings since buyers can run you around?  Looks like you doing a lot of work with buyers like me.  :p

There is the map of the old and new unincorporated Johns Creek. The path of progress starts Northview HS to Lambert HS to S. Forsyth High School. The home prices in Northview are already high and priced in. Average built is 1994. The investment opportunity lies in the master planned development of Lambert HS and S. Fosyth HS and both these high schools rank in the top ten in the state. The average built home is 2003-2004. Prices are appreciating rapidly in these two emerging school zones.

2it3cau.jpg

Forsyth County is the 6th Fastest growing county in the nation:

Source:http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/real_estate/1006/gallery.fastest_growing_US_counties/6.html

Forsyth County is the 20th wealthiest county in the nation among 25 richest counties.

Source:http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/04/am...tyle-real-estate-wealthy-suburbs_slide_7.html

How to asset allocate your real estate investing portfolio

As more and more investors come to the consensus that a well-crafted real estate investing strategy can help them achieve their financial and retirement goals. How should you allocate your real estate holdings within a Blueprint real estate portfolio? Now, the whole notion of ?allocation? within a portfolio containing 100% real estate assets may come across as unnecessary. But keep in mind that even in an ?all-stock? investment portfolio, there are different types of stocks that bring different returns (and their accompanying risks) to the portfolio. In much the same way, different real estate assets bring different benefits and risks to a real estate portfolio.

Standard assets

These properties are consistent performers and reliable money makers: They are easy to lease and keep leased. Their weakness is that they don?t offer much in the way of property appreciation. Typically they follow the appreciation curve of the overall market or come just under it. These assets offer higher returns for moderate risk. They are recently built (under six years) or new properties located in areas that aren?t yet established to their full potential. Remember, if an area is already popular, it?s already too late for real estate investors. That train has already left the station ? prices have risen to the level where price to rent ratios no longer allow for reasonable returns. We are currently seeing this environment after the mortgage rate spike starting from May 2nd, 2013. Most parts of Johns Creek, S. Forsyth, and Lambert have seen significant appreciation just in the last 6-8 months. At the same time we are experiencing investor loans with a 30 year fix spike up from 3.5% to 5%.

Approximate returns for this category of assets: Cash on cash returns of 15%+ and Internal rate of return of 17-18%. Prices range from $150k-$200k ( In today's environment investing in the following high school clusters: (Parts of West Forsyth, Central Forsyth, and North Forsyth) )

Premium assets

These properties are typically located in established and highly desirableneighborhoods. They offer moderate returns for lower risk when compared to the standard category. There is always high tenant demand for these properties which results in rising rents over time. They tend to be well cared for, older homes  (10-20 years old). Their strength is that they offer higher than overall real estate market appreciation so whatever they lack in cashflow returns they tend to make up on value increase over time.

Approximate returns for this category of assets: Cash on cash returns of 10%+ and Internal rate of return of 12-13%. Prices range from $200k-$250k (In todays' environment investing in the following high school clusters: (Northview, Lambert, S. Forsyth)

Note: There are some properties that have no place in a long term real estate investor?s portfolio, regardless of the ?outstanding? returns they appear to offer like the war zones of the south of Atlanta much like bad parts Santa Ana & Compton in Southern California. The reason their ?paper returns? are so high is due to the fact that their extremely high risk is ?baked into? that return. That risk often takes the form of a property located in a rough neighborhood with high crime rates, low school quality, higher turnover and eviction rates and property damage from defaulting tenants. These assets are the real estate equivalent of penny stocks. Just say no and thank me later.

So back to the big question: What types of assets should be part of your real estate portfolio and how should they be allocated?

If you just purchase 100% standard assets, you will have good cashflow and return on investment but you won?t be able to take advantage of appreciation waves to the extent that you should. If instead, you purchase a portfolio full of premium properties, you would be relying heavily on appreciation to accomplish your goals. Without appreciation, the cashflow produced may not be enough to get you over the finish line within your investment time frame and that just smells a little too much like speculation for my taste.

The optimal solution is to own a combination of the two asset types within your portfolio so you can have the best of both worlds: Solid returns and appreciation. The exact allocation will depend on the goals of the investor, their available time frame for investing and their income level.

Investors with short time frames to retirement (under 5 years)

more than anything else need all the cashflow they can muster during their shortcapital base growth stage. They don?t have the luxury of time to wait for appreciation. These investors have no other choice but to build a portfolio made up of 100% standard properties.

Investors with medium time frames to retirement (5-9 years)

need a portfolio weighed heavily towards standard assets but should add some premium properties in the mix to take advantage of value appreciation. Exact percentages will vary with each individual investor?s situation but a good rule of thumb in this case would be a 80% standard, 20% premium allocation of assets within their portfolio.

Last, investors with long timeframes to retirement( 10-15 or more years)

do have times on their side so in their situation it makes financial sense for them to add even more premium properties. Generally I advise these investors to adopt a 65% standard, 35% premium allocation of assets within their portfolio.

Appreciation is an elusive and manipulative animal. It?s hard to empirically quantify how much appreciation an area is likely to experience (if any) and when. As such, we cannot build our analysis based on a factor that may or may not come into play. But understand one thing - normal appreciation is an innate characteristic of real estate assets. It?s common sense: The cost of materials and labor to build new homes goes up every year in response to inflation. So the same property will cost more to build in 10 years than it does today. Home builders are in business to make money and they can?t make money unless they sell their homes for more than what it costs to build them. So therefore, the same home should cost more in 10 years than it does today ? it?s just plain economics. So why should that matter to a real estate investor? Well, let?s look at the arithmetic. Say you purchase a 125,000 property and you invest 25,000 of your capital as a 20% down payment. If the value of that property appreciates by 10% to 137,500, your return on investment from that appreciation is 50%! That?s due to leverage- since your investment in the property is $25k, a $12.5k increase in value represents a 50% return - in addition to any cashflow returns you might have enjoyed that year. That?s why it?s a big deal and that?s why you should purchase assets that have the potential to capture it in your portfolio if your investing situation allows it.

2it3cau.jpg

qwerty said:
why is it uncool? there is nothing specific naming the family or address.

It would have been easy to figure out, since he named the area/development and there were only 12 houses, as I recall...plus he mentioned the closing date. If anyone really cared, they could figure it out.

Baby Irvine seems to have deleted my post, but he also seems to have deleted his original description of the tenants.

Cool Panda ..... I'm retire and have some cash in hand from well planning investments and saving from the past 10 yrs. I'm thinking on moving some of my funds into real estates.

What do you think if I buy 8-10 200k GA homes with full cash and rent them out for $1800 a month each and I can collect rent from Irvine. I stayed in GA 15 yrs ago for 3 yrs, not a fan of the weather and safety but won't mind for rental investment.

I should be able to get 10k a month after tax/maintances and sell them 10 years later for double .....

My current home in Irvine when I bought in 2010 with cash have gone up about 400k - 500k if I sell now, not so bad for 3 yrs... Will keep it for at least 5 years

When I bought with 80% cash in 2010 when the prices are low most people laugh at me, now I won't buy another in irvine in 2013, doesn't make sense for rental and investment. 

Mike

mikeirvine said:
When I bought with 80% cash in 2010 when the prices are low most people laugh at me, now I won't buy another in irvine in 2013, doesn't make sense for rental and investment. 

Mike

cmon mike - dont make it seem like you knew the prices were low at the time and you were making a great investment. it was luck of the draw, everyone is a genius when the tide is rising.

You are right, I'm lucky.

I just have cash in hand like the FCB. Cash is king and luck is God .... I'm going Vesgas.:)

Kudos to baby panda as he move to where he can afford and commit. Some baby here are crying and hoping price will be affordable in irvine for years. Your are the man Panda.

Mike

irvineduenodelacasa said:
mikeirvine said:

Mike

Back