Johns Creek Homes and Real Estate

"if you can afford to pay the 300-400% premium, it's worth it."

IHO, at the cost of what? Everything in life has a cost. For me, financial freedom is what is most important to me. Yes, financial freedom is much more important to me than nice weather and beaches close by. Let me ask you how many times you visited the nice beaches Laguna beaches, Corona del Mar in the last 12 months?

IHO, the reason I didn't move to Irvine was not because I could not afford to buy a home in Irvine at a 300-400% premium, but I want to retire in my 40s, not in my 70s. Now, I don't mean that in my 40s I retire and get fat and lazy. What I mean is that I will become a full time investor in my 40s, where my passive income will start to exceed my earned income.

Back in the days, Irvine Home Shopper had a great influence in my decision and I am very thankful to him til this day. I have a financial plan that will allow me to live my purpose in my 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s. We all have a choice in life of where we want to live, the vocation we commit our lives to, who we marry, how we raise our kids, and which friends we spend our time with. IHO, there is no such thing as rehearsal in life. We only get one chance in life and this is the REAL thing, and I don't want to waste a single day, not doing what I was called to do with my life. 

irvinehomeowner said:
80s, 90s or 2014... weather is still better and beaches are still closer... if you can afford to pay the 300-400% premium, it's worth it.

I'm sure you could have done it in SoCal... many others have and still are. Look at Tarek from Flip or Flop.

You talk about living your life... if I were to upend my family and move to JC, my kids would not know their granparents, their uncles, aunts or cousins. We would lose that connection to our friends and family. I know someone who did a similar move, and while they are happy there, I don't think their life is any better than ours... but I do think our weather and our beaches are nicer. :)

Irvinehomeowner,

I completely agree with your comment "if I were to upend my family and move to JC, my kids would not know their grandparents, their uncles, aunts or cousins. We would lose that connection to our friends and family." What you have in Irvine is priceless, worth more than what money can ever buy. Staying in Irvine completely makes sense for someone like you.

Unfortunately we don't have that connection of family here, but slowly rooting & building our connection of new friends in JC.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm sure you could have done it in SoCal... many others have and still are. Look at Tarek from Flip or Flop.

You talk about living your life... if I were to upend my family and move to JC, my kids would not know their granparents, their uncles, aunts or cousins. We would lose that connection to our friends and family. I know someone who did a similar move, and while they are happy there, I don't think their life is any better than ours... but I do think our weather and our beaches are nicer. :)

Just looked up John's Creek on Redfin...holy cow.  417 listings for sale in a city of 76,000+.

Suwanee has 375 listing (15,355) and Duluth has 265 listings (26,600+).  Alpharetta has 677 listing with a population of 57,500+

That's 1,734 listings for a population of approximately 176,000.

Irvine on the other had has 656 listings for a population of 230,000.   

Irvine Commuter,

You can't really analyze this way. Johns Creek is made up to three high school clusters which are all among the top 3% ranking high schools: Chattahoochee High, Johns Creek High, and Northview High. By getting data of these three high schools, I get the entire inventory level of Johns Creek. Suwanee, Duluth, and Alpharetta fall a little short in terms of school ranking compared to Johns Creek. You are also comparing present day Irvine to present day Johns Creek. Do you know what the population and inventory level of Irvine in 1999? I would say that the listing vs population would look similar.

In present day comparison Johns Creek has a high per capita income and median income than Irvine today.

Median household income of Johns Creek is $110,648, Average household income is $152,879, and Per Capita Income is $45,053. In 2010, 4724 Johns Creek residents made between $200,000 - $500,000. In 2012 that number tripled to 12,214 residents in Johns Creek who makes between $200,000 - $500,000.

Irvinecommuter said:
Just looked up John's Creek on Redfin...holy cow.  417 listings for sale in a city of 76,000+.

Suwanee has 375 listing (15,355) and Duluth has 265 listings (26,600+).  Alpharetta has 677 listing with a population of 57,500+

Panda, have you been tracking # months of inventory out at Johns Creek and what the trend is doing?  Irvine has gone from about 1.5 month of inventory last year to just a hair under 3 months of inventory.  I find that supply can be a good indicator of the current market and the trend.  Most cities around Irvine are at 3-4 months of supply which is basically a neutral market (Irvine tends to be one notch stronger). 

Baby Irvine said:
Irvine Commuter,

You can't really analyze this way. Johns Creek is made up to three high school clusters which are all among the top 3% ranking high schools: Chattahoochee High, Johns Creek High, and Northview High. Suwanee, Duluth, and Alpharetta fall a little short in terms of school ranking compared to Johns Creek. You are also comparing present day Irvine to present day Johns Creek. Do you know what the population and inventory level of Irvine in 1999? I would say that the listing vs population would look similar.

Irvinecommuter said:

I can't?  I can't compare listings versus population?  I would think that's the most obvious and direct way to compare.  I have 3X the listing for a city that is about 70K smaller.  You have a MBA, you should understand supply and demand.    Even if we're just talking about John's Creek, we're looking at 2/3rd of the listing for a city that is about 1/3 the size. 

Also, based upon data on the internet.  Most of the cities you talked about (Suwanee, Duluth, and Alpharetta) had their growth spurt in the early 2000s.  Since that time, population has remained relatively steady.  John's Creek did up in 2010 but I presume that's because there was some new development in the area.

Did you just read my post above? You are comparing present day Irvine to present day Johns Creek. Did I ever tell you or write that Johns Creek has tighter inventory than Irvine today? Compare the inventory data of 1999 Irvine and you will see that the inventory levels are similar.

Irvinecommuter said:
Baby Irvine said:
Irvine Commuter,

You can't really analyze this way. Johns Creek is made up to three high school clusters which are all among the top 3% ranking high schools: Chattahoochee High, Johns Creek High, and Northview High. Suwanee, Duluth, and Alpharetta fall a little short in terms of school ranking compared to Johns Creek. You are also comparing present day Irvine to present day Johns Creek. Do you know what the population and inventory level of Irvine in 1999? I would say that the listing vs population would look similar.

Irvinecommuter said:

I can't?  I can't compare listings versus population?  I would think that's the most obvious and direct way to compare.  I have 3X the listing for a city that is about 70K smaller.  You have a MBA, you should understand supply and demand.    Even if we're just talking about John's Creek, we're looking at 2/3rd of the vacancy for a city that is about 1/3 the size. 

Also, based upon data on the internet.  Most of the cities you talked about (Suwanee, Duluth, and Alpharetta) had their growth spurt in the early 2000s.  Since that time, population has remained relatively steady.  John's Creek did up in 2010 but I presume that's because there was some new development in the area.

Irvinecommuter said:
Baby Irvine said:
Irvine Commuter,

Irvinecommuter said:

I can't?  I can't compare listings versus population?  I would think that's the most obvious and direct way to compare.  I have 3X the listing for a city that is about 70K smaller.  You have a MBA, you should understand supply and demand.    Even if we're just talking about John's Creek, we're looking at 2/3rd of the vacancy for a city that is about 1/3 the size. 

You also have to consider the other side of the supply and that's demand (aka monthly sales volume).  It's the number of months of inventory on the market that give you an idea of what the current strength of the market is.  My guess is that Johns Creek has seen the similar inventory increases as most other areas in the country given the run up in prices in the past year or so.

Baby Irvine said:
Did you just read my post above? You are comparing present day Irvine to present day Johns Creek. Did I ever tell you that Johns Creek has tighter inventory than Irvine?

Irvinecommuter said:
Baby Irvine said:
Irvine Commuter,

Irvinecommuter said:

Why should I compared 1999 Irvine to present day John's Creek.  As I stated above, the area saw the bulk of the increase in population in the early parts of 2000s.  The fact that there are a significantly number of listings in a such a small area does not indicate to me that the area is geared for growth.  And we're just talking about John's Creek...not about the surrounding areas.

Trojan, I am going to get this data for you shortly.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Panda, have you been tracking # months of inventory out at Johns Creek and what the trend is doing?  Irvine has gone from about 1.5 month of inventory last year to just a hair under 3 months of inventory.  I find that supply can be a good indicator of the current market and the trend.  Most cities around Irvine are at 3-4 months of supply which is basically a neutral market (Irvine tends to be one notch stronger). 

USCTrojanCPA said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Baby Irvine said:
Irvine Commuter,

Irvinecommuter said:

You also have to consider the other side of the supply and that's demand (aka monthly sales volume).  It's the number of months of inventory on the market that give you an idea of what the current strength of the market is.  My guess is that Johns Creek has seen the similar inventory increases as most other areas in the country given the run up in prices in the past year or so.

Well, according to Redfin...254 houses have been sold in the last 90 days for Johns Creek with an inventory of 417.  Conversely, Irvine has an inventory of 656 with 611 transactions in the past 90 days. 

Duluth has 91 homes sold in the past 90 days with 336 listings.  Suwanee has 73 transactions with 375 listings.  Alpharetta has 213 sales with 672 listings

Baby Irvine said:
Did you just read my post above? You are comparing present day Irvine to present day Johns Creek. Did I ever tell you or write that Johns Creek has tighter inventory than Irvine today? Compare the inventory data of 1999 Irvine and you will see that the inventory levels are similar.

Irvinecommuter said:
Baby Irvine said:
Irvine Commuter,

Irvinecommuter said:

Looks back at the past is good and all because history has a way of repeating itself, but you also have to focus on the here-and-now and use analytics like # of numbers of current inventory (either 1-month or 3-month trailing).  Even local markets can escape national patterns forever. 

Irvinecommuter, you are wrong that the bulk of Atlanta growth has already happened. The acceleration pedal is just getting started. Do you know what the top ten fastest growing counties are?

If you do please list them here since you seem to be so smart.  8)

Irvinecommuter said:
Baby Irvine said:
Did you just read my post above? You are comparing present day Irvine to present day Johns Creek. Did I ever tell you that Johns Creek has tighter inventory than Irvine?

Irvinecommuter said:
Baby Irvine said:
Irvine Commuter,

Irvinecommuter said:

Why should I compared 1999 Irvine to present day John's Creek.  As I stated above, the area saw the bulk of the increase in population in the early parts of 2000s.  The fact that there are a significantly number of listings in a such a small area does not indicate to me that the area is geared for growth.  And we're just talking about John's Creek...not about the surrounding areas.

Trojan: Johns Creek is right around 3.5 month of inventory.

Northview High Cluster - 3.2 month inventory
Chattahoochee High Cluster - 2.1 month inventory
Johns Creek High Cluster - 5 month inventory

Lambert High - 3.5 month inventory <- this is the school cluster I heavily invested in the last 4 years.

Baby Irvine said:
Trojan: Johns Creek is right around 3.5 month of inventory.
So basically a neutral market.  You should track the trend like I do with Irvine...it provides a potential insight of where the market might be going. 

Baby Irvine said:
Irvinecommuter, you are wrong that the bulk of Atlanta growth has already happened. The acceleration pedal has just getting started. Do you know what the top ten fastest growing counties are?

It's not smartness...it's just internet searching.  You also need to define your years for growth. 

Forbes top 10 between 2010 and 2012:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkot...-fastest-growing-counties-the-burbs-are-back/

According to wiki:  Fulton County has grown 6.9% between 2010 and 2013.  25.7% growth between 1990 and 2000.  12.8% growth between 2000 and 2010. 

http://www.usa.com/rank/georgia-state--population-growth-rate--county-rank.htm?hl=Fulton&hlst=GA

That's no. 76 in Georgia.

Irvinecommuter,

Rank #7 fastest growing county in the nation is Forsyth County. This is significant as this county is literally next to Johns Creek divided by McGinnis Ferry. The future #1 high school that is going to replace Johns Creek's #1 High School, Northview is going to be Lambert High School. This is right at the path of progress where I have rooted my brokerage.

Rank Population Growth Rate ? County / Population
1. 78.35% Forsyth, GA / 175,511
2. 74.25% Paulding, GA / 142,324
3. 70.87% Henry, GA / 203,922
4. 61.22% Newton, GA / 99,958
5. 51.05% Cherokee, GA / 214,346
6. 50.33% Barrow, GA / 69,367
7. 45.44% Jackson, GA / 60,485
8. 43.64% Douglas, GA / 132,403
9. 42.71% Coweta, GA / 127,317
10. 42.59% Lumpkin, GA / 29,966

Irvinecommuter said:
Baby Irvine said:
Irvinecommuter, you are wrong that the bulk of Atlanta growth has already happened. The acceleration pedal has just getting started. Do you know what the top ten fastest growing counties are?

It's not smartness...it's just internet searching.  You also need to define your years for growth. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkot...-fastest-growing-counties-the-burbs-are-back/

According to wiki:  Fulton County has grown 6.9% between 2010 and 2013.  25.7% growth between 1990 and 2000.  12.8% growth between 2000 and 2010. 

http://www.usa.com/rank/georgia-state--population-growth-rate--county-rank.htm?hl=Fulton&hlst=GA

Baby Irvine said:
Irvinecommuter, Rank #7 fastest growing county in the nation is Forsyth County. This is significant as this county is literally next to Johns Creek divided by McGinnis Ferry. This is right at the path of progress where I have rooted my brokerage.

Rank Population Growth Rate ? County / Population
1. 78.35% Forsyth, GA / 175,511
2. 74.25% Paulding, GA / 142,324
3. 70.87% Henry, GA / 203,922
4. 61.22% Newton, GA / 99,958
5. 51.05% Cherokee, GA / 214,346
6. 50.33% Barrow, GA / 69,367
7. 45.44% Jackson, GA / 60,485
8. 43.64% Douglas, GA / 132,403
9. 42.71% Coweta, GA / 127,317
10. 42.59% Lumpkin, GA / 29,966

Irvinecommuter said:
Baby Irvine said:

Okay...123% between 1990 and 2000, 78.4 between 2000 and 2010.  7.1 between 2010 and 2012.  Irvine has grown 6.9% during that same period of time (213,000 to 229,000).

Irvine commuter,
The total population of Forsyth County will exceed the population of Irvine within this decade.

Look at the Irvine population growth from 1970 to 1980 to 1990 to 2000. You will find this data to be interesting.

Back