Is there a big difference in education quality?

What's a better situation for your child to get into a good university?

• 75th percentile at one of the highest rated high schools (i.e. Northwood)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 90th percentile at an 800+ API IUSD high school (i.e. IHS or Woodbridge)

Votes: 12 92.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Both Woodbridge and Irvine High Schools are losing their academic excellence over the years. In the past both schools were at the top measured by many acceptances to the top colleges having a few at best in the last 5 years. Every school will have its generation cycle marked by students excellent achievements in scores, good grades and top college acceptances.

I will begin with the the generational cycle and explain what it means. Peer academic excellence is where the kids help out each other to getting better grades. They are enthusiastic in sharing knowledge rather than hoarding them. A good friendship foundation is necessary in this scenario. It is possible and ideal when the kids grow up together and attend kindergarten and all the way to the 12 grade. This was my deciding factor to have my kid to attend Beckman High School even though Troy, OCHSA and Oxford were all possible. I decided not to uproot her from her environment.

Why and how did Northwood and Beckman out performed all other Irvine High Schools the last few years? This magic recipe is about 18 years from the date of the community's grand opening date give or take -7years and + 7years for children that were already a few year old when moving in, born right after the parents moved in and children born later for the last wave of later phase buyers. It is crucial for children growing up together and that friendship is what inspired each other to do so well in school. No kids want to fall behind and fall out of the pack.

Northwood was unveiled in 1993 and by adding 18 years= to 2011, the peak performance year for Northwood HS. 2004 - 2018 are the best academic performing years for this school.  Students excelled both academically and were happy socially.

West Irvine started in 1992 so the peak performance year for Beckman was 2010 but Northpark was also a huge contributing factoring prolonging its success. Northpark opened in 1996 and peaked at 2014. The API scores for Beckman were extremely impressive between the years 2010-2014. I have analyzed them. Northpark Square will sustain Beckman's peak performance to 2018 and another +7 years beyond.

There were no new villages therefore no renewed mass generations of kids attending Woodbridge and Irvine HS district boundary the last 2 decades. Both schools suck comparatively to other top high schools. Of course there are resales that continue to add a mixed bag of students but friendship and camaraderie are weak among student body. There are a few successes here and there but not the entire school as a whole.

The same theory also applied to UNI high where new resales generated new students but among them are the ruthless, selfish, cheaters and nothing will stop me getting my perfect A's students. They are extremely competitive and hoarder of information.  This environment is unhealthy for the average learners and less motivated achievers. UNI will continue to do well. Quail Hills and Shady Canyon will continue to fuel the school's academic excellence. The uber rich kid mentality and their parents are not easy to deal with.  Turtle Rock's best years were the decade of the 90's and the millennium. Today's the environment is just cut throat smart and kids are out for themselves.

People might have known Northwood was coming in 1993 but it first opened in 1999.

Don't you think that they also benefited by being able to cherry pick teachers from established schools?

Very cool insight, IHS.  My HS was excellent when I went there.  Many high achievers, good faculty, and it received a presidential award while I was there (1 of only a few hundred nationwide).  It opened for business the year I was born.  I don't believe it's as highly rated by students, parents or colleges any more. 

irvinehomeshopper said:
Both Woodbridge and Irvine High Schools are losing their academic excellence over the years. In the past both schools were at the top measured by many acceptances to the top colleges having a few at best in the last 5 years. Every school will have its generation cycle marked by students excellent achievements in scores, good grades and top college acceptances.

I will begin with the the generational cycle and explain what it means. Peer academic excellence is where the kids help out each other to getting better grades. They are enthusiastic in sharing knowledge rather than hoarding them. A good friendship foundation is necessary in this scenario. It is possible and ideal when the kids grow up together and attend kindergarten and all the way to the 12 grade. This was my deciding factor to have my kid to attend Beckman High School even though Troy, OCHSA and Oxford were all possible. I decided not to uproot her from her environment.

Why and how did Northwood and Beckman out performed all other Irvine High Schools the last few years? This magic recipe is about 18 years from the date of the community's grand opening date give or take -7years and + 7years for children that were already a few year old when moving in, born right after the parents moved in and children born later for the last wave of later phase buyers. It is crucial for children growing up together and that friendship is what inspired each other to do so well in school. No kids want to fall behind and fall out of the pack.

Northwood was unveiled in 1993 and by adding 18 years= to 2011, the peak performance year for Northwood HS. 2004 - 2018 are the best academic performing years for this school.  Students excelled both academically and were happy socially.

West Irvine started in 1992 so the peak performance year for Beckman was 2010 but Northpark was also a huge contributing factoring prolonging its success. Northpark opened in 1996 and peaked at 2014. The API scores for Beckman were extremely impressive between the years 2010-2014. I have analyzed them. Northpark Square will sustain Beckman's peak performance to 2018 and another +7 years beyond.

There were no new villages therefore no renewed mass generations of kids attending Woodbridge and Irvine HS district boundary the last 2 decades. Both schools suck comparatively to other top high schools. Of course there are resales that continue to add a mixed bag of students but friendship and camaraderie are weak among student body. There are a few successes here and there but not the entire school as a whole.

The same theory also applied to UNI high where new resales generated new students but among them are the ruthless, selfish, cheaters and nothing will stop me getting my perfect A's students. They are extremely competitive and hoarder of information.  This environment is unhealthy for the average learners and less motivated achievers. UNI will continue to do well. Quail Hills and Shady Canyon will continue to fuel the school's academic excellence. The uber rich kid mentality and their parents are not easy to deal with.  Turtle Rock's best years were the decade of the 90's and the millennium. Today's the environment is just cut throat smart and kids are out for themselves.

paydawg said:
Isn't Cypress Village, a new village, attached to Irvine High School?  Why can't IHS be rejuvenated?

I am only talking about the immediate and not too far in to the future. Irvine HS will someday be there too.

irvinehomeshopper said:

Oak Creek started around 1998. Why would WHS lose excellence?

I have friends and coworkers with kids going to different high schools. One family have two boys going to woodbridge and then Ivy league. One family has their daughter forced to transfer from Uni to creekside. Also Uni will suggest kids to take sick absence during standard test time.

Personally I do not think 4 HS are so hugely different. Principals will make difference. Parents will make even more difference.

kiki said:
One family have two boys going to woodbridge and then Ivy league.
Admission letter or it's not true!!!

Just kidding... for some reason Ivy and Irvine schools is a popular subject around here.

OakCreek started right after Westpark and was the early value villages. It started in the very early 90s. The housing stocks there were smaller footages and first time buyers. Other than Cal Pac's 3 story Kelsey Lane big box footages other homes were mostly stepping stone homes thus many families did not stay very long before moving to more "permanent" villages. Woodbridge's last peak year was 2008 assuming families stayed in those tiny starter condos and town houses for 18 years. Since 2008 Woodbridge has been in decline on everything from rating to test scores and college admission. I studied Woodbridge's test score and US News yearly rating and pretty much the data validated my timeline.

West Irvine also was also a value villages but those ugly huge Fieldstone and Lewis boxes accommodated family growth therefore families stayed there for a long time until the children finished high school.

kiki said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

Oak Creek started around 1998. Why would WHS lose excellence?

I have friends and coworkers with kids going to different high schools. One family have two boys going to woodbridge and then Ivy league. One family has their daughter forced to transfer from Uni to creekside. Also Uni will suggest kids to take sick absence during standard test time.

Personally I do not think 4 HS are so hugely different. Principals will make difference. Parents will make even more difference.

Back