Is Real Estate over heating?

Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Where's graphrix?

He's busy working as an economist I think.  I actually got him a phone interview where I work last year, but the position he was going for wouldn't have been a great fit.
So Kaitlyn would be about 25 yrs old now?

Liar Loan said:
Roughly one in five conventional mortgage loans made this winter went to borrowers spending more than 45% of their monthly incomes on their mortgage payment and other debts, the highest proportion since the housing crisis, according to new data from mortgage-data tracker CoreLogic Inc. That was almost triple the proportion of such loans made in 2016 and the first half of 2017, CoreLogic said.https://www.wsj.com/articles/rising-home-prices-push-borrowers-deeper-into-debt-1523356200

Some personal experience. I bought my Irvine home under 70% of what I qualified for, but had trouble refinancing even after home prices skyrocketed.

Attempt to Refi in 2014:

55% LTV
32% DTI
No debt other than primary home and car leases totaling $600/mo

Failed to qualify for refinance.

Why?

The lenders would not count a significant portion of our income after one of us quit our jobs to work as an independent contractor.

Even when we did finally refinance (waited until our income significantly increased), our official DTI was significantly higher because they only counted about 60% of our income.

My mortgage payment is under 10% of our income now, but I bet we'd have trouble qualifying for a mortgage again...

Happiness said:
Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Where's graphrix?

He's busy working as an economist I think.  I actually got him a phone interview where I work last year, but the position he was going for wouldn't have been a great fit.
So Kaitlyn would be about 25 yrs old now?

I don't know.  We aren't BFF's or anything, but occasionally we touch base.  I've never actually met him in person.  We were supposed to meet up for drinks one time, along with el Oracle, but it fell through when he tripped and broke his foot or something like that.

He reached out last year asking if I could get him an interview for a capital markets analyst position, so I did.

paperboyNC said:
Liar Loan said:
Roughly one in five conventional mortgage loans made this winter went to borrowers spending more than 45% of their monthly incomes on their mortgage payment and other debts, the highest proportion since the housing crisis, according to new data from mortgage-data tracker CoreLogic Inc. That was almost triple the proportion of such loans made in 2016 and the first half of 2017, CoreLogic said.https://www.wsj.com/articles/rising-home-prices-push-borrowers-deeper-into-debt-1523356200

Some personal experience. I bought my Irvine home under 70% of what I qualified for, but had trouble refinancing even after home prices skyrocketed.

Attempt to Refi in 2014:

55% LTV
32% DTI
No debt other than primary home and car leases totaling $600/mo

Failed to qualify for refinance.

Why?

The lenders would not count a significant portion of our income after one of us quit our jobs to work as an independent contractor.

Even when we did finally refinance (waited until our income significantly increased), our official DTI was significantly higher because they only counted about 60% of our income.

My mortgage payment is under 10% of our income now, but I bet we'd have trouble qualifying for a mortgage again...

There are a lot more programs for qualifying with bank statements now than there were in 2014.  Things were still very tight back then as nobody wanted to be the first to dip their toes back into "risky" mortgages, since the crisis was still so fresh in everybody's minds.  The Bernanke Taper Talk in 2013 caused rates to spike up rapidly, so 2014 was the first time you had banks lowering FICO requirements post-crisis as a response to retain more volume.  Nobody was accepting alternative types of income documentation yet. 

You also had the QM rules going into effect at that time and banks were being especially cautious as they gauged the effects of that.  Very few lenders wanted to make mortgages that didn't conform to QM.  Impac Mortgage was about the only one that I knew of that was trying to create programs outside of QM and they were just tiny niche programs at that time.

I do agree that some buyers are stretching more and more as they continue to get outbid with multiple offers. And at times, "buyer fatigue" sets in and buyers fall back to Plan B turns the focus of buying a new home to not deal with getting constantly outbid.  I see more of that stretching in the sub $800k market with first time buyers than I do in the $1m+ market move-up buyers.

Back