Is it possible for home security alarm system installation to break your ac

viola

Hi,

Just had my home security system installed a few days ago and later that same day my air conditioner stops working.  Is that just coincidence or did they somehow break my AC? any insight would be appreciated. 

Also can't get an appointment with my  AC company until sept 10, isn't that ridiculous.

Thanks

Anything's possible.  Maybe they were up in the attic running cables and tweaked one of the copper refrigerant lines, and the gas leaked out.  Do you know if they were working in the vicinity of the AC equipment and/or lines?  What kind of system did you get installed?  Wired sensors at every opening, or wireless?  What does your thermostat say?

Thermostat is at 83 now. The ac turns on but doesn't blow cold air.

The guy didn't go near the outdoor ac unit, he installed the panel by the door.

viola said:
Also can't get an appointment with my  AC company until sept 10, isn't that ridiculous.
If you're not going through your home warranty, Connected Air has been recommended by more than one member on TI and they have very fast turn around.

It may be your fuses on the condenser (outside unit). Nothing to do with the alarm system-  just happens randomly.

If the fan is blowing in the house-  check your condenser unit outside-  if the fan blade on the top is not turning-  change the fuses.  You can pull one fuse out and take it to Home Depot to match. 
Probably cost less than $15.00 to replace.

Does your alarm system have home automation functions? Did they install a new AC control panel as well to communicate with your alarm system?

Do you have a infrared temp gun?  (http://slickdeals.net/f/7139342-nubee-non-contact-infrared-thermometer-digital-temperature-gun-w-laser-sight-14)

Use that to check all your vents to see.  If all of them are blowing hot air, you might need to recharge your freon.  If only a few are blowing hot air, check the ductwork, something might've come loose.  Did the alarm guy get into the attic craw space?  Check the ductwork around the blower in the attic. 

Check the RETURN air vents (the ones with the filters) upstairs and downstairs.  If you don't hear air being sucked in, then there is a leak in your ductwork, or detached from the blower. 

Back