Is Irvine becoming Too Asian Part 2

People tend to socialize with their own people. If you were a martian and there were plenty of martians in the city, you would just hang out with other martians and not bother with earthlings. What can earthlings do? Force martians to mingle?

I feel fine with the current situation.  As long as they're civil, drive well, respect customs like waiting in line, and as long as businesses speak english then I'll be OK. I don't think everyone needs to be like American; after all, not everything about american is good.

TJinOH said:
I'm Asian and I was born overseas but grew up in Southern California.

I remember growing up in Cerritos in the 80s and 90s, at a time when there was a large number of Taiwanese and Korean immigrants.  But that felt vastly different from what we are experiencing here in Irvine today.

The family that immigrated back then were mostly highly educated and hard working family.  The kids around me grew up integrating into the American society and culture because their family encouraged them to do so.

In later years, another influx of Taiwanese population consisting more of the very wealthy are more similar to the mainlanders' invasion of Irvine now.  They came not looking to integrate but simply to enjoy.

The kids were dropped off by the parents at Rowland Heights and Diamond Bar with a big house and M3s.  They skipped school and enjoyed life at the diamond plaza. 

Most of them barely made it through school and return to Taiwan the first chance they got.

Today, diamond jamboree reminds me of the diamond plaza back in the days, and it gives me chills. 

My wife and I bought in OH recently, but we are already planning to take flight in the next 5 years if things continue down this trend.  Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel, North Tustin, or Villas Park are all on our watch list.

We really love Irvine.  I've been living here for almost 20 yrs.  But I'd really hate for my kids to grow up with friends that takes money for granted and don't know the value of earning a dollar.

There are a lot of very rich Non-Asian families in Laguna Niguel where the kids also just like to party and not value the dollar.  When you see teenagers taking their parents (at least I hope it is their parents) Bently, R8, Porsche 911 Turbo, SL550's, etc. and hanging with their friends, it makes you realize they play in a different world.

LosOlivosDweller said:
People tend to socialize with their own people. If you were a martian and there were plenty of martians in the city, you would just hang out with other martians and not bother with earthlings. What can earthlings do? Force martians to mingle?

I feel fine with the current situation.  As long as they're civil, drive well, respect customs like waiting in line, and as long as businesses speak english then I'll be OK. I don't think everyone needs to be like American; after all, not everything about american is good.

There are tons of people in America that don't drive well.

Your other point, as long as businesses speak English then your okay?

eyephone said:
Your other point, as long as businesses speak English then your okay?

By businesses, I meant restaurants and the like. I want to be able to go to a japanese/taiwanese/korean/martian restaurant and receive service in english. It'd be suck if they couldn't provide service in english, wouldn't it?

Back