Irvine's 5th High School

keilbros said:
I know a contingent of Chinese parents are very concerned about the high school rezoning and are currently petitioning to keep their children in University High School and Northwood High School. Expect a huge gathering at all of the open meetings and tons of publicity from all the local and regional Chinese news agencies/PR firms. They are in the process of contacting all realtors who target FCBs and are engaging other minority groups (Persians, Koreans, etc.) to join them in their crusade. Should make for an interesting set of meetings!

I find it interesting that the very folks that scream the loudest about how their kid is getting short changed by the schools suddenly disappear when it comes time to volunteer, donate $$$, etc. 

Great schools come from people who CARE,  EVERY DAY-  teachers, administrators, students and PARENTS.  What makes a school great is what is INSIDE the building.

If all of these parents put their efforts into building the 5th HS up-  instead of fleeing it-  it would be as good as Uni, Northwood and the rest........ who knows,  it could even be better ;) 

(climbing off the soap box now........  next?)

Just wait for 2016 when the OC Register publishes its best High Schools list and Great Park High makes the top 10 list over the other Irvine high schools, then everyone will want to live in pew pew.

Whoever pays the OC Register the most money will get the top billing.  I hope your HOA lobbies hard as getting top billing will increase your property value.

How would the bribe work?  Does TIC buy ads in the OC register?  I don't know I hardly read it.

Read in the OCReg this morning that someone floated the idea of giving the responsibility of the school to Saddleback since 5 Points was taking so long to build it.

Some were blaming the delays on Agran because he didn't like the site they proposed and the other side was blaming 5 Points for the delays.

I think it's just blustering by Irvine to get 5 Points to hurry up and by threatening to make The Great Park's high school an SVUSD one it just puts more pressure on them because they know that such a "stigma" may affect future new home sales on their development. If that was TIC property, there is no way they would talk about SVUSD taking over.

Did they propose a timeline for the high school to be built?  Not sure why they are complaining that it's taking so long.  They just started building homes.

irvinehomeowner said:
Read in the OCReg this morning that someone floated the idea of giving the responsibility of the school to Saddleback since 5 Points was taking so long to build it.

Some were blaming the delays on Agran because he didn't like the site they proposed and the other side was blaming 5 Points for the delays.

I think it's just blustering by Irvine to get 5 Points to hurry up and by threatening to make The Great Park's high school an SVUSD one it just puts more pressure on them because they know that such a "stigma" may affect future new home sales on their development. If that was TIC property, there is no way they would talk about SVUSD taking over.

People in PP would revolt if they got zoned into SVUSD. 

My annoyance about the whole issue is that in the entire Great Park...the only two places they could put a HS is either 1) next to a landfill and a jail or 2) on top of a toxic dump?  Seriously...no other locations?

I can see the lawsuits already:

Land in the highly sought-after Irvine Unified School District might be handed over to a neighboring school district because of delays with a proposed high school.
Irvine Unified board members this week floated the possibility of giving up part of the land for its proposed fifth high school to Saddleback Valley Unified School District, as delays in construction loom and school crowding in the district necessitate a speedy solution.

The ceding could have detrimental effects on property values, as the Irvine Unified is one of the top-performing districts in the state. This is especially pertinent as developers seek to sell homes in the area.

Mark Boud of Irvine-based Real Estate Economics estimates the change in districts for those homes could equate to a 4 percent to 5 percent drop in home prices based on past experiences. Based on the median home price of houses selling in Irvine?s 92618 ZIP code north of the Great Park, that decrease could amount to $34,000 to $42,000 in some cases.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/school-606317-district-irvine.html

jmoney74 said:
Did they propose a timeline for the high school to be built?  Not sure why they are complaining that it's taking so long.  They just started building homes.

It was supposed to be done for the 2016 school year.  Problem is that they haven't even established where they're going to build.

They need to build by 2016 because of the estimate rise in enrollment.

Irvinecommuter said:

According to iacrenter people don't buy based on school zoning and PP folks being sooooo far away from the 5 freeway. What were they thinking? Quieter, less pollution, and 3 minutes of extra commuting time. They must be insane.

test said:
Irvinecommuter said:

According to iacrenter people don't buy based on school zoning and PP folks being sooooo far away from the 5 freeway. What were they thinking? Quieter, less pollution, and 3 minutes of extra commuting time. They must be insane.

I am pretty sure s/he was talking about Stonegate and s/he was being sarcastic.

they forgot to add (sarcasm off).

As a PP owner.. I don't really care but me thinks a lot of people will.

bones said:
jmoney74 said:
they forgot to add (sarcasm off).

As a PP owner.. I don't really care but me thinks a lot of people will.

Like IHO pointed out. It's just blustering and positioning. 5 points will get it done - too much on the line for them. They still have thousands of homes to build and sell on the IUSD side.

May be out of 5 points' control though...at least based upon the comments of at least two of the board members.  Agran doesn't want it at site A and Parham wants to give up PP to SVUSD.

If PP gets zoned into SVUSD, Bakers' Ranch is going to a lot more business.

Back