irvine vs. Baker Ranch

penumbra

I just saw another post in the OC Real Estate section and one of our members mentioned the upcoming Baker Ranch project:
http://liveatbakerranch.com/

I'm under contract at Santa Clara right now, and I'm curious what the price differential would be for a 2400-3000 sqft house in Irvine vs. Lake Forest.  I realize the Irvine school and location would command a premium, but what do most people think that would be?  $100K?  I'd imagine you get a better sized house and backyard at Baker Ranch, and that should be valued for something.

Any thoughts?  Maybe I'll flip the Santa Clara and buy a place at Baker Ranch. :)

penumbra said:
I just saw another post in the OC Real Estate section and one of our members mentioned the upcoming Baker Ranch project:

I'm under contract at Santa Clara right now, and I'm curious what the price differential would be for a 2400-3000 sqft house in Irvine vs. Lake Forest.  I realize the Irvine school and location would command a premium, but what do most people think that would be?  $100K?  I'd imagine you get a better sized house and backyard at Baker Ranch, and that should be valued for something.

Any thoughts?  Maybe I'll flip the Santa Clara and buy a place at Baker Ranch. :)

nah, stay in Irvine..much better schools/location

penumbra said:

It's natural to second-guess oneself after making a commitment. I think you can look at the current comparable offerings from Shea Homes in Aliso Viejo for the price differential between Irvine and immediate surrounding communities.

shadax said:

They are just public schools. The schools buyers are paying hundreds of thousands extra for aren't even charter or magnet schools.

Also, how can anyone begin to compare schools unless they know what they're comparing it to?? Rumor has it the new Baker Ranch area will be zoned to F.R. Elementary but I don't think that's set in stone yet... unless you know something nobody else does.

SoCal said:
shadax said:

They are just public schools. The schools buyers are paying hundreds of thousands extra for aren't even charter or magnet schools.

Also, how can anyone begin to compare schools unless they know what they're comparing it to?? Rumor has it the new Baker Ranch area will be zoned to F.R. Elementary but I don't think that's set in stone yet... unless you know something nobody else does.

I haven't done complete HW but I read somewhere that Baker Ranch proposed an elementary school on site but Saddleback Unified nixed it?  IMO, having an elementary school as part of the master plan would make the development much more attractive to buyers.

penumbra said:

Imo, it's a valid thought if you're looking to upgrade from a flat. Why not take a look when they're up and then see how you feel about it. If the schools are the biggie for you, you have to ask yourself if a 40 point difference in API scores (between the intended Foothill Ranch Elementary and Stonegate) is worth $XXX,000 to you plus restricted living quarters. Remember, both schools exceed the state target. Fwiw, we've attended both schools and lived in both neighborhoods, so I've been able to compare.

I also plan to check out the homes when more info is available. I'm not holding my breath I'd ever find anything with my lot size in my price range (I just bought a home in F.R.) but if there was something enticing enough, I'd toy with the idea.

Socal - you cant rationalize with irrational views on Irvine schools.  dont you get it?  its not just the API, in foothill ranch, how will an asian kid feel safe around all those thuggish white kids.

bones said:
I haven't done complete HW but I read somewhere that Baker Ranch proposed an elementary school on site but Saddleback Unified nixed it?  IMO, having an elementary school as part of the master plan would make the development much more attractive to buyers.

It's been a long process, with the original area plan being approved by the county 25 years & 1 month ago, so who knows.

SoCal said:
shadax said:

Those close to me have worked in both districts and confirm that the caliber of employees is much higher in Irvine than Saddleback.

Back