Irvine Valley College - The Blue Ocean Strategy to UCLA / UC Berkeley

The business economics degree sounds heavier on economics than on business, and looks like it leans more theoretical than practical. I would rather have my kids receive a traditional business education somewhere else.
Agreed.

This is where CalState is a better value over UC for certain majors not just for less cost but practical education.

For those of you Irvine parents who have a senior high school student study business
Agreed.

This is where CalState is a better value over UC for certain majors not just for less cost but practical education.
But don't Irvine Parents and IUSD high school seniors care about the College Brand? They wouldn't homeowners in Irvine if the Brand didn't matter. You don't need IVC for CalState schools. Your child can get in straight from an IUSD high school as student ranked in the bottom 3rd of his senior class.

Out of the all the UC Colleges, Haas School of Business at Cal has both the brand and outstanding practical business education. It is also possible for an IVC student to transfer to Haas. I would highly recommend this route over the Business Econ major at UCLA.

Irvine parents care about the college brand until their kids don’t get in. Then they become more practical.

I’m in the accounting field and locally the top accounting school is USC. But the big four hire plenty of people from UCLA/UCI/Fullerton/UCSB.

I would say you have just a good of a chance to get a big four job from UCLA as you would from USC and the cost of those schools would make UCLA a no brainer.

If your goal is to get a big four job in OC you can go to Fullerton and have a very good shot at getting a big 4 job.

I think part of the issue is parents who are not knowledgeable in how certain schools and majors feed into jobs in areas where people want to work post graduation.

If my kid wanted to be a cpa I would have no issue with sending them to Fullerton knowing that if they get good grades there is a pretty good chance of landing a big four gig.

Does the OC big four Accounting firms hire UCLA students from non capped majors like math & stats or only from Business Econ majors?

If your son had a 4.0 GPA as a senior at IUSD and ranked top 40% in his class and recieved acceptance letters from UC Santa Cruz, UC Riverside, and Fullerton.

If your son really wanted to study business, wouldn't you encourage him to attend Irvine Valley College for 2 years, make straight As and transfer to Haas at UC Berkeley?

I think the reason many Irvine Parents and kids wont go this route is due to pride, losing face, and embarrassment from peers.

A spoiled rich kid in Irvine rather have his dad pay up for a no name out of state or private college than go down the IVC route.

The IVC/UCLA/UCB is a narrow path for the meek and humble students. They are not entitled, believe in a hand out. They are highly disciplined who find IVC as a gift for giving them a second chance at UCLA and Cal.
Irvine parents care about the college brand until their kids don’t get in. Then they become more practical.

Last edited:
UC Berkeley tuition for the 2023-24 school year for in-state students is estimated at $15,444 and $48,018 for out-of-state students.

USC tuition for the 2023-24 school year for in-state students is estimated at $69,904 and $69,904 for out-of-state students.

UC Berkeley MBA at Haas for the 2023-24 school year for in-state students is estimated at $69,814 and $82,058 for out-of-state students.

The Business education at Haas undergraduate program is much better than the MBA curriculum. $15,444 (Haas BBA) vs $69,814 (Haas MBA)

Anyone who graduates from Haas as an undergrad will be completely wasting his money to goto a top ten MBA program.

ucb.jpg

MaxRoi with Irvine Valley College !!

University of Califronia Berkeley 20 Year Net : $939,000
University of California San Diego 20 Year Net : $797,000
University of California Los Angeles 20 Year Net : $711,000

Tier #1 UCs , Berkeley, San Diego, UCLA
Tier #2 UCs , Irvine, Davis, and Santa Barbara

roi.jpg

Last edited:
The 20 Year Net ROI at California State University seems to do better than the bottom two UC Colleges UC Riverside and Santa Cruz. Better to attend California State University vs UC Riverside and Santa Cruz.

@qwerty, Cal State Fullerton doesn't seem to be a great ROI. They make half the salary of a Cal grad. Graduate rate at Fullerton is 71% vs 93% at Cal.

calstate.jpg

Last edited:
The 20 Year Net ROI at California State University seems to do better than the bottom two UC Colleges UC Riverside and Santa Cruz. Better to attend California State University vs UC Riverside and Santa Cruz.

@qwerty, Cal State Fullerton doesn't seem to be a great ROI. They make half the salary of a Cal grad. Graduate rate at Fullerton is 71% vs 93% at Cal.
I don't know how they are calculating cost, but the tuition at CSU Fullerton is $7k, so the total 4-year cost should be $30k, which means the ROI is actually higher than Berkeley in percentage terms.

It appears that is more difficult to transfer into Cal vs UCLA. UCLA Transfer Acceptance rate is 34% from IVC and 21% at Cal. Haas Business School seems very difficult to get into as a transfer at 5% Acceptance Rate. Twice as hard to transfer to the Business Econ Major at UCLA.

major.jpg

Last edited:
Back