Irvine to consider committing $40 million toward veterans cemetery at Great Park

FivePoint is offering an acre-to-acre swap. The developer wants to retain its right to develop 812,000 square feet for research and development uses at the Great Park land it would receive from the city in the swap, according to the proposed terms.

For research and development?

I don't understand why Irvine would commit $40M of our local taxpayer money to something that's more popular outside of our city than inside our city and does so little to improve Irvine residents' quality of life. Or why Jeff L would oppose a land swap.

I think a little public pressure would help. Only takes a 2 min email.
irvinecitycouncil@cityofirvine.org

i1 said:
I don't understand why Irvine would commit $40M of our local taxpayer money ... 

Do your homework! It is not 'local taxpayer money', it is state lawsuit settlement money. Which is why Lalloway thinks he has $40M to suddenly throw around.
http://www.ocregister.com/2014/09/1...te-to-get-292-million-in-redevelopment-funds/

Irvine settles with state to get $292 million in redevelopment funds
Orange County Register      September 10, 2014 at 11:15 am

"A settlement between the city and state that will bring back $292 million in redevelopment funding to Irvine is expected to be formalized Oct. 24 by Sacramento Superior Court.

The city would get $292 million in property taxes over approximately 12 years, of which $277.4 million will go to the city and the remaining $14.6 million will go to the Irvine Community Land Trust. The city, for its part, will dismiss three lawsuits filed against the state related to $1.4 billion in redevelopment funding in dispute.

"

in 2011 City lost $1.4B of state redevelopment agency funds they expected to use to build a 'Great Park', so they cut a deal with FP to build the park. Then Irvine sued state and got a $292M settlement. That is where this $40M comes from, and note it is spread over 12 years!

So ... if they have $292M coming to build a park, and FP is already building the park, why does Lalloway want the state to contribute half for a cemetery? It's all state money anyhow. Why won't he pay the whole $77M? And why does he insist on the polluted ARDA site next to the polluted high school site, when a no-brainer better deal stares him in the face?? 

Regardless of what pool the funds are coming from, there are better ways to spend 40M that would benefit Irvine residents than a cemetery being pushed for by people outside the city.

But if u have to have a cemetery, the land swap is a no brainer. 

marmott said:
FivePoint is offering an acre-to-acre swap. The developer wants to retain its right to develop 812,000 square feet for research and development uses at the Great Park land it would receive from the city in the swap, according to the proposed terms.

For research and development?

Market research and residential development.  :)

i1 said:
I don't understand why Irvine would commit $40M of our local taxpayer money to something that's more popular outside of our city than inside our city and does so little to improve Irvine residents' quality of life. Or why Jeff L would oppose a land swap.

I think a little public pressure would help. Only takes a 2 min email.
irvinecitycouncil@cityofirvine.org

Why do you think that a veteran's cemetery isn't popular with Irvine residents?  All residents, or just particular demographics?

If they actually put the cemetery in Great Park does this mean homeowner and maybe they folks in yellow fever's photo will sell and move elsewhere in Irvine? This may raise the prices elsewhere and lower them in Great Park?

shahshah said:
If they actually put the cemetery in Great Park does this mean homeowner and maybe they folks in yellow fever's photo will sell and move elsewhere in Irvine? This may raise the prices elsewhere and lower them in Great Park?

Don't forget PS3 and Altair, their community entrances will be closer to the cemetery entrance than the 3 currently built GP neighborhoods so they are closer as a matter of perception.  I don't really think it would hurt home prices much, but time will tell.

aquabliss said:
shahshah said:

Don't forget PS3 and Altair, their community entrances will be closer to the cemetery entrance than the 3 currently built GP neighborhoods so they are closer as a matter of perception.  I don't really think it would hurt home prices much, but time will tell.

The entrance yes but the cemetery backs to gp4 and will be next to beacon. View lots?

Curious if 5P will push ahead with releasing District Next at full price before cemetery gets decided. I imagine they wouldn't want to wait for any bad news to dampen prices.

Is a cemetery something that would need to be disclosed to people who purchase in Beacon Park, Parasol Park, and PS3?

For those who purchased, was it disclosed? Just curious.

Rizdak said:
Curious if 5P will push ahead with releasing District Next at full price before cemetery gets decided. I imagine they wouldn't want to wait for any bad news to dampen prices.

Pretty sure District Next will release way before anything happening to the cemetery. 

5P already got that development planning approved way back in July of 2015 and they can start developing it as soon as they are ready.  However the VA cemetery still have many steps to go before construction can begin. 

COMING SOON TO A NEIGHBORHOOD NEAR YOU!
https://a65.asmdc.org/press-releases/quirk-silva-funds-orange-county-veteran-cemetery

SACRAMENTO ? Prior to the start of Memorial Day weekend, Assemblywoman Sharon Quirk-Silva (D-Fullerton) made the following statement on the inclusion of a $30 million allocation of funds in the 2017 California State Budget Report for an Orange County Veterans Cemetery.

This allocation came directly after Quirk-Silva hosted California Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. in Orange County, where they had a private tour of proposed sites for a new state veteran cemetery in Irvine. Assemblywoman Quirk-Silva and Governor Brown also met with local officials and community groups, in order to facilitate the budget appropriation of funds.

Back