Irvine Housing Dreams ? Part 1

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1245893379]With a yard your creation and the kids memories will be a part of the family legacy that will be passed on down to the next generation like several members have expressed the fond memories from their childhood backyard. From my years of experience in research no one ever shared their childhood experience in a neighborhood tot lot or pocket park other than finding cat poop or dog feces in the sand pit. Memorable spaces are the fun outdoor spaces where family laughs and share their joy outside their family home and for the younger ones their private paradise outside their bedroom window where natural creatures came to visit.

Here is another example from my own experience. My 87 year old mother and 7 family members from Chinatown visited me just once in 19 years when I lived in homes with a tiny patio yard eventhough there were parks near by to accommodate a large gathering. They felt going to gather at a park away from home resemble Mexican ghettos where Hispanics like to gather at a free parks with Pinata hanging between trees.

Since I move to my current home my backyard became the large family gathering hub my mother insists her grand children drive her and she spent hours looking at the various plants, Asian garden, herbs, vegetable, citrus trees and of course my 100 year old avocado trees that yield several hundred pounds of crops that she gives away to Chinatown old ladies.

I regret that I did not have a yard sooner and very little memories with my mother and my little girl just became 13 a few days ago. Not having a private yard was one of the biggest regret in my life.</blockquote>

My parents are avid gardeners with a 1/4 acre lot and their backyard was the site of many of my exciting childhood adventures and mischief making. I've lost count of all the creatures I shot and buried in that yard. Lawn darts, model rockets, firecrackers, badminton net, etc. those are treasured memories. There is no way my parents would live in a house without a decent yard because gardening/landscaping is their hobby. I regret that my child will not have that experience but I have a much different lifestyle than my parents. I pay Mexicans to come to my yard every week to cut, weed, prune, etc. I hate to admit it but my gardeners probably spend more time in my yard than I do. Barring a drastic lifestyle change, my yard is nothing more than a living painting framed by my windows.

Back