Irvine demographic & impact on kids

Happiness said:
Bad Asian: Mainland China nouveau riche, Veteran Cemetery protesters

OP didn't want to say it, but he/she is basically not OK with these Asians.

I honestly understand to a degree too.

The demographics of this board has gone downhill over the years.  We used to be so healthy with the likes of Graph, NoVas, ISM, Trooper, BK (honorary white), CK (white but loves Asians), Larry, etc., but now we are downright malignant with nothing but Asians stressing about afterschool tutoring.

Happiness said:
The demographics of this board has gone downhill over the years.  We used to be so healthy with the likes of Graph, NoVas, ISM, Trooper, BK (honorary white), CK (white but loves Asians), Larry, etc., but now we are downright malignant with nothing but Asians stressing about afterschool tutoring.

Do you feel uncomfortable like the Op?

Perspective said:
The question I have for the education-obsessed no-fun-allowed parents, is, how much of this effort is due to your desire for the best possible economic security for your child(ren) and yourself as their financial burden, and how much is due to your desire to impress your friends and family?

I'm probably at the opposite spectrum of this.

I'm an ABC...grew up in the LA area, my dad immigrated from HK when he was in his early 20s, my mom from Macau in middle school, both went to colleges in the LA area and my mom has her master's. 

I did go to a PSAT prep class that was 4 weeks on a Saturday for 4 hours, but other than that I can't remember going to any Chinese school or after school tutoring.  I think I ditched 2 out of the 4 classes too and got kicked out of one.  I was a great student right!  (On a side note I was top 10 in GPA in my high school graduating class and graduated college early while being in an Asian American Fraternity, so even with all my antics I did well in school and with NO tutoring!) 

Elementary school, I remember going to school, then stayed at an after school program where all we did was run around and play with other kids on the playground until my dad picked me up.  I occasionally did HW there, but for the most part I don't believe I had much HW up until 4th grade where I started having 1hr to 2hr max of HW. 

Middle school is when I remember I started getting more HW, but all I did was walk myself home, did some HW and played video games.  High School the same, until I got my car, then I drove home or elsewhere and got myself home before my parents...  ;D

I can't see myself sending my kid/s to tutoring even while living in Irvine, will they be behind, I hope not, but kids gotta be kids.  I don't want them to grow up not having fun, scraping their knees when falling off a bike or playing tag with their friends, but maybe they won't have friends to play tag with since they are all in tutoring.  The only thing I can possibly see is sending them to Chinese school to learn Mandarin since I can see that being helpful in the future and I can't teach them that myself since I don't know a lick of it. 

^^ I think part of the issue is: it's a lot more competitive out there in general regardless of race. I always joke that there's no way I would get into an ivy today. Top 10% of yesteryear is today's' 25 (?), 30 (?) percent.

I'm fine with Asians but I'm open to seeing more blondes in the Irvine area. Even south coast plaza is mostly Asian. Don't want to have to drive to fashion island for my blonde fix :)

It's interesting to see what native Americans think of Chinese people here.

I am a first generation Chinese immigrant and one of my children attend an elementary school here. We never send my kid to kumon or other private tutoring. We only send him to Chinese school to learn mandarin. And most of my Chinese friends do the same thing. To be honest, elementary school level homework is so easy, why would we send them to private tutoring for this? We would rather the kids spend more time outside of classrooms to enjoy childhood.

Panda said:
IrvineRes88,
I can completely understand where you are coming and this is coming from an Asian American father of twin boys who are currently in kindegarten. Although I live more than a 1000 miles away from you, my children attend an elementary school where more than 50% of the school demographics are Asians. We recently had a teacher conference and although our boys are doing fine in school, academically they are performing slightly above the average level. The teacher told us that even tought our boys are doing well in their reading and math, due to the competitive nature of the school, many of the parents are putting their kids throught private tutoring and kumon after class so their kids can get ahead.

My wife and I want to raise our kids differently from the herd mentally of our Asiancentric school environment. Many of the parents of here are first generation Asian immigrants and still have the mentality my parents once had where getting straight A's in school is the equation for success in the real world. When a child is in kindergarten, first, second, or third grade or even 4th, they should be playing outside with their friends and not sitting in private tutoring or kumon classes for 2-3 hours after class to get ahead.

IrvineRes, I don't disagree with you that this is an unhealthy environment for your children as this demographics is not the representative of what the real world looks like. One of things I enjoy about living where I live is the close proximity and access to Asian restaurtants, groceries, and shopping centers, but if I can do it over again... I would much rather have them attend a school where the demographics were not so heavily concentrated with Asian students. My entire street and adjacent street are now made of 85% Asian households. The ratio was more like 25% Asian households when I first moved to my subdivision 5 years ago.

qwerty said:
I'm fine with Asians but I'm open to seeing more blondes in the Irvine area. Even south coast plaza is mostly Asian. Don't want to have to drive to fashion island for my blonde fix :)

Spectrum isn't bad either, we used to do Chipotle Friday's and people watch at lunch.

akkord said:
qwerty said:

Spectrum isn't bad either, we used to do Chipotle Friday's and people watch at lunch.

I used to go to Chipotle, but not after the food scandal or whatever you want to call it.

I agree with you, you don't need kumon. But if a kid is falling behind then maybe.

Ryanmom said:
It's interesting to see what native Americans think of Chinese people here.

I am a first generation Chinese immigrant and one of my children attend an elementary school here. We never send my kid to kumon or other private tutoring. We only send him to Chinese school to learn mandarin. And most of my Chinese friends do the same thing. To be honest, elementary school level homework is so easy, why would we send them to private tutoring for this? We would rather the kids spend more time outside of classrooms to enjoy childhood.

Panda said:
IrvineRes88,
I can completely understand where you are coming and this is coming from an Asian American father of twin boys who are currently in kindegarten. Although I live more than a 1000 miles away from you, my children attend an elementary school where more than 50% of the school demographics are Asians. We recently had a teacher conference and although our boys are doing fine in school, academically they are performing slightly above the average level. The teacher told us that even tought our boys are doing well in their reading and math, due to the competitive nature of the school, many of the parents are putting their kids throught private tutoring and kumon after class so their kids can get ahead.

My wife and I want to raise our kids differently from the herd mentally of our Asiancentric school environment. Many of the parents of here are first generation Asian immigrants and still have the mentality my parents once had where getting straight A's in school is the equation for success in the real world. When a child is in kindergarten, first, second, or third grade or even 4th, they should be playing outside with their friends and not sitting in private tutoring or kumon classes for 2-3 hours after class to get ahead.

IrvineRes, I don't disagree with you that this is an unhealthy environment for your children as this demographics is not the representative of what the real world looks like. One of things I enjoy about living where I live is the close proximity and access to Asian restaurtants, groceries, and shopping centers, but if I can do it over again... I would much rather have them attend a school where the demographics were not so heavily concentrated with Asian students. My entire street and adjacent street are now made of 85% Asian households. The ratio was more like 25% Asian households when I first moved to my subdivision 5 years ago.

eyephone said:
I agree with you, you don't need kumon. But if a kid is falling behind then maybe.
If a Kid starts getting say 88% (i.e- not an A) then are they falling behind??  Nowadays, you are not going to get into UCLA or Cal if you get more than 3Bs in your entire high school career

IrvineDream,
You are not joking around. If your kid has the academic qualifications to get into Cal or UCLA in today's environment... they are pretty much good enough to get into an Ivy League School. Getting them into UCSD or UCI maybe a more realistic expectation for your kids. Admission into UCLA and Cal today is around 17%... this % will probably get down to 11-13% by the time most of our kids are ready to apply for college.

Another thing to add.. 2015 admission data shows me that the out-of-state students have a better chance to get into Cal or UCLA over California residents as the revenues for UC schools will increase by accepting more out-of-state students which was not the case 15-20 years ago where 92% of the students in Cal and UCLA were California residents.

Irvine Dream said:
eyephone said:
If a Kid starts getting say 88% (i.e- not an A) then are they falling behind??  Nowadays, you are not going to get into UCLA or Cal if you get more than 3Bs in your entire high school career

What's crazy is today's UCI/UCSD standards are UCLA/Cal's standards from a decade ago...

Irvine

4.04 GPA  1900ish SAT score So essentially top 90%

San Diego

4.13 GPA 2000ish SAT score...

My daughter scored 2,390 and received admission to less than 40% of the schools applied to? These scores you listed in a few years will likely be UC Riverside and Merced standards.

NewtoIrvine1 said:
What's crazy is today's UCI/UCSD standards are UCLA/Cal's standards from a decade ago...

Irvine

4.04 GPA  1900ish SAT score So essentially top 90%

San Diego

4.13 GPA 2000ish SAT score...

Here is a post I did several months ago on the education thread. The UCLA acceptance rate of 34% and the total applicants applied in 1998 is almost identical to the stats for Georgia Tech admissions in 2015. 

In 1998, close to 90% of the admitted seniors to UCLA were California residents.  International students were a minority between 1-2% of the admits and about 9% of the admitted students came from out of state. In state tuition was right around $3500 / year for California residents. Even in 1998, the Asian profile made up 40% of the entering senior class. 

112ap1v.jpg

The UCLA admissions rate was 33% back in 1998. In 2015. the number of applicants have more than doubled the admissions rate is almost half of what was in 1998 at 17% acceptance rate.  As a California resident, the acceptance rate is lower at 17% vs if you are applying as an out of state student at 28%. Acceptance of admitted Out of state students have grown 400% since 1998. This number is significant for international students where this number of admitted students have increased more than 10 folds.

The most interesting part about this these data sets is that Asian demographic make up was 40% in 1998 and in

In 1998, almost 90% of the admitted students to UCLA were California residents. Today that number has dropped to 58%. As a California resident, the odds are now stacked against your children' chances to be admitted to UCLA. The top UC schools are no different than any other large corporation. In order for them to increase more revenue, they will need to admit more international and out of state students who are willing to pay out-of-state tuition.

Even the backdoor, junior college transfer route is no longer easy to get into UCLA as only 28% of the California residents are accepted.

iy30nq.jpg

irvinehomeowner said:
That's why you do the junior college transfer route. Saves money and gets you in anyways.

Back