Irvine Company to donate 20,000 acres to OC parks

Gohabsgo_IHB

<a href="http://greenoc.freedomblogging.com/2009/09/04/irvine-co-to-donate-20000-acres-to-oc-parks/12531/">Irvine Company Giving 20,000 Acres of Land</a>

Not official yet, but good to know the Irvine Company is still sharing it's land.

"20,000 acres of rugged wild land in central county to OC Parks". What can you do with the rugged steep terrain inaccessible and impossible to develop land otherwise?

<strong>Translation:</strong> Irvine Company is going to find a bright, doughy-eyed appraiser to give this land some kind of astronomical value, then they are going to donate it and rack it up as a loss for their tax balance forms to basically cover any losses for more value than they ever would have gotten selling the land outright. Additional benefits include a PR coup, increased "park land" in the area for selling points and....

<strong><em>....OH MY GOD</em></strong> I just looked at the map and that is prime mountain biking territory that was otherwise off limits without an Irvine Company docent guide. HORRAY IRVINE COMPANY!!!

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1252626923]"20,000 acres of rugged wild land in central county to OC Parks". What can you do with the rugged steep terrain inaccessible and impossible to develop land otherwise?</blockquote>

by rugged, they mean there's not a nordstroms nearby and therefore impossible to develop for sophisticated OC buyers.

Well, bkshopr is right. I have been back there and its pretty steep and unworkable terrain. Its also beautiful and a real boon to the biking and hiking community.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1252626923]"20,000 acres of rugged wild land in central county to OC Parks". What can you do with the rugged steep terrain inaccessible and impossible to develop land otherwise?</blockquote>
Hide Icicle Gun? and Heat Ray? victims.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1252629661][quote author="bkshopr" date=1252626923]"20,000 acres of rugged wild land in central county to OC Parks". What can you do with the rugged steep terrain inaccessible and impossible to develop land otherwise?</blockquote>
Hide Icicle Gun? and Heat Ray? victims.</blockquote>

A much better place than Irvine commercial parking lots. It closes the circle of life with biodegradable content enriching new soil and plants.

You guys are hard on TIC. I'm just happy to see they have a good sense of community. I don't care if they use the system to their advantage and use this as PR, in the end it's a good gesture.

[quote author="CM_Dude" date=1252639062]No matter how you feel about TIC, they've done a great job with conservation.</blockquote>
Really? Have you driven down PCH lately? Newport Coast used to be empty fields from the hilltops to PCH. They traded some completely undevelopable land for NC and now you have McMansions for the nouveau riche. Add in some jogging paths and parking lots on the other side of PCH and you've just increased traffic on what was once a barely used coastal area by 100 fold.

Or were you being snarky?

[quote author="Nude" date=1252647644][quote author="CM_Dude" date=1252639062]No matter how you feel about TIC, they've done a great job with conservation.</blockquote>
Really? Have you driven down PCH lately? Newport Coast used to be empty fields from the hilltops to PCH. They traded some completely undevelopable land for NC and now you have McMansions for the nouveau riche. Add in some jogging paths and parking lots on the other side of PCH and you've just increased traffic on what was once a barely used coastal area by 100 fold.

Or were you being snarky?</blockquote>

Have you taken PCH a little north and see what you come accross? I don't think Newport Coast is abusing the landscape nor that Crystal Cove isn't one of the prettiest sight.

You can't tell me McMansion = Conservation. Crystal Cove was once pristine coastline from PCH to the surf. Now it's just another jogging path.

It NC better than CdM? No, because stucco ain't pretty no matter what shade of salmon, beige, or taupe your HOA requires.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1252629661][quote author="bkshopr" date=1252626923]"20,000 acres of rugged wild land in central county to OC Parks". What can you do with the rugged steep terrain inaccessible and impossible to develop land otherwise?</blockquote>
Hide Icicle Gun? and Heat Ray? victims.</blockquote>

Let me see. Track record for IPD in sucessful crime solving. That right ZERO. Why would the criminals dump bodies in hard to get to places when the parking lot is so convenient. The criminals are not going to call the docents.

[quote author="Nude" date=1252647644][quote author="CM_Dude" date=1252639062]No matter how you feel about TIC, they've done a great job with conservation.</blockquote>

Or were you being snarky?</blockquote>

You and graph make a good tag team.

[quote author="Nude" date=1252648037]You can't tell me McMansion = Conservation. Crystal Cove was once pristine coastline from PCH to the surf. Now it's just another jogging path.

It NC better than CdM? No, because stucco ain't pretty no matter what shade of salmon, beige, or taupe your HOA requires.</blockquote>

Conservation is different from preservation. Conservationists want to protect wildlife and wild lands, but also are amendable to land use (trails, parking lots) which allow PEOPLE to enjoy and appreciate that land. Preservationists want a big "keep out" sign for all people.

Personally, I think the preservationists are a bit short-sighted. How can you increase appreciation for nature and gain public support for keeping lands open/natural without allowing the public to enjoy them?

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1252652870]Personally, I think the preservationists are a bit short-sighted. How can you increase appreciation for nature and gain public support for keeping lands open/natural without allowing the public to enjoy them?</blockquote>

You tell them to park their car at the edge and hoof it in like savages... and remind them to pack their trash out with them. Otherwise you end up with localized version of New York's Central Park or the natural beauty of Seal Beach. But hey, what do I care, I'm surrounded by 200 ft pine trees. Enjoy your scrub brush.

How dare you to insult the Irvine native vegetation. They are all in the high fire Oops Fuel Modification zone.

[quote author="Nude" date=1252653331][quote author="MojoJD" date=1252652870][quote author="Nude" date=1252648037]Personally, I think the preservationists are a bit short-sighted. How can you increase appreciation for nature and gain public support for keeping lands open/natural without allowing the public to enjoy them?</blockquote>

You tell them to park their car at the edge and hoof it in like savages... and remind them to pack their trash out with them. Otherwise you end up with localized version of New York's Central Park or the natural beauty of Seal Beach. But hey, what do I care, I'm surrounded by 200 ft pine trees. Enjoy your scrub brush.</blockquote>]

Some conservation is better than no conservation, but I have to agree with Nude. Driving south to Laguna Beach was so much more enjoyable before the establishment of yet another Trader Joes, Starbucks, Pier One, however what would the yuppie and want-to-be-yuppie singles do without Javiers and Mastros?

I biked and hiked in most of the areas to be donated. Some of the area actually have paved two lanes road in relatively good shape and access to electricity. Don't know about sanitation and water, but the view from some of these places are very, very good. I don't mind paying $100,000 per acre for the land if it got water and sewage and no HOA.

Back