irvine community center

changm55

hey guys, i was looking at this course catalog from the irvine community center...

some of these art classes looks like loads of fun!! im thinking of getting membership and signing up for their classes just to use their facilities (like the ceramic kilns n what nots)

anybody have experience taking classes there and/or using their facilities?

Irvine news headline:

What appears to be a cute fluffy dog attacked class-goers at the Irvine Community Center.  A massive brawl ensued when the owner arrived.  A kiln was flipped.

fixed it for u

ps9 said:
Irvine news headline:

What appears to be a cute fluffy dog attacked class-goers at the Irvine Community Center.  A massive brawl ensued when the owner arrived.  A kiln was flipped. Witnesses say the dog appeared to be barking common patriotic slogans mixed in with a lot of profanity.

theres an annual membership fee for like 40 dollars per individual... think for families is like 60 a year... students is like 25 (ima wait for my irvine valley college student ID to come out... then ima try to get that rate for this year... even though im like... way past my prime to be a student ROFL... they might decline me but lol worth a shot)

then prices range per class... for ceramics its like 60-70 per individual on top of the membership fee...

i think if u just want to use the facilities u can too with just membership (gotta go ask what hours they have open studio)... i think ima do that for ceramics (ive been doing it for almost 20 years, so i actually prefer free roam vs set curriculum on what i have to make out of clay)... but for other classes that interest me, im pretty noob so might be worth it to take them...

ima go to the community center (i think they call it the civic center) on alton n harvard and pick up a physical catalog and ask someone directly for more info... the online catalog is a bit hard to control the zoom and what nots giving me a headache...

had a chance to talk to a nice lady that explained everything to me...

so theres class fees and then there are membership fees... some class fees depend on membership fees (like u get a discount if ur a member) and some class fees are flat rate (so doesnt make sense to become a member)

membership fees is 40 usd per individual, 60 usd for a family (good for 2 adults and 2 kids)...

lady told me if u take enough classes where the discounts cover the membership fee, then its worth it... otherwise it is not (discounts on class fees if ur a member varies class to class around 5 usd - 10 usd discount per class)... so she was telling me pretty much u need to take like 6-8 total classes or something for ur entire family to make membership worthwhile...

sessions in each class varies too... sometimes classes are held for 6 sessions only... some meet up more often...

im probably going to do the 'open studio' style where its a flat fee for residents (13 usd a day OR 59 usd for 5 days OR 105 for 10 days) (there is no discount here if ur a member)... since i have all the tools n equipment myself (except for the kiln n glaze) n a dedicated room for studio/office/what nots... this makes more sense to me since i can do most of the stuff and just go when i need something fired or glazed...

the ceramic studio is also not at the civic center, rather its around walnut and yale... other activities/classes are also scattered around the city... the civic center just handles membership and registration (but u can do that online so theres no point even going besides to pick up a physical copy of the class catalog)...

but for family style, u might want to give them a call and see what they offer cause i forgot to inquire about that for u...

she told me a lot more, but i like forgot most of it... my short term memory is really bad... lol

Back